Civilization VI

Haha. i even bought one of the other expansions, forget which one. I am not sure we’ve played together since though. I am getting some Don’t Starve Together action for now instead.

It could be worse. My younger sister plays Fortnite. I told her I didn’t even like betaing that game, although back then it was coop not battle royale…which is not an improvement.

Something about this feels so familiar…

Well hey now, it may be boring, and it may be stupid, but at least it, uhh, I forgot where I was going tbh.

I probably won’t be able to help myself because it is Civ.

I’ve loved the Civs, even with the nags others point out with the AI and other gameplay elements, but I’ve yet to pick up the first expansion let alone have plans for the second for Civ VI. Honestly, it’s the cost that sets me back. When compared to what the base game brings, the add-ons are only a fraction of the content; I can get full games at those prices.

Perhaps I’ll revisit when there are packaged sets that include everything, then pick it all up at once rather than piecemeal. I’ve so much to play that even something I love as much as Civ can’t draw me in.

That or a super steep discount say maybe a holiday sale right before releasing an expensive expansion.

$40 seems like a ridiculous price for what the expansion is offering. Especially considering the game just feels “messy” already. I am excited about what it is offering, but Civ VI has just been… not great.

What bothers me the most is the new resource “Diplomatic Favour” as well as the emphasis on diplomacy. It is an annoyance of recent Civ games where I get taken to a diplomacy screen for some empty words that have little bearing on the game. It was most aggravating in Beyond Earth which had its own Diplomatic currency and nigh impossible to go through a turn without being nagged by an AI over crap.

I know this discussion was had elsewhere recently (AoW thread) about diplomacy in games. And seriously, EUIV has the right idea of it. I’m not constantly being taken away from the gameworld by visiting some new screen all the time. I can pretty much do things on the fly and diplomatic notifications appear as a flag at the top of screen to action over time, Urgent events like war declaration are in my face with little pomp and ceremony and typically expected. All unlike what the Civ formula current models.

They keep lifting diplomatic systems from EU4 (yay!) with no idea how to fit it into their design or willingness to teach the AI how to work with it. Diplomatic enhancements without the AI work to back it up is completely pointless.

Really they might as well roll two random dice every turn, and if they come up snake eyes, then a random one of your neighbors declares war along with some other random civ on the far side of the planet.

Not that EU diplomacy is that much better Kevin… “you’re Spanish, I am French, DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE” or “you’re so rich and English, I am so poor so LOOK AT MY ARMIES I DON’T HAVE THE BALLS TO GO ACROSS THE CHANNEL” sums up lasting diplomatic relations in my games.

This, like a number of games recently, falls into the “please don’t insult me by asking me for more money before you fix the shitty mess you already sold me” category.

Sounds fun to me. But then I’m about the only person here who really likes Civ VI!

I think maybe you don’t understand the diplomacy in EU4. ;) @CraigM has done some good write-ups on what makes it so detailed!

That was a rather unnecessary passive aggressive remark. I have been playing EU 4 for years.

Paradox games are very “detailed”, yes, and they tend to get the “details” wrong quite often too. Hilariously often actually, but you know, jokes have a set time. Otherwise the joke is on you.

They also like numbers a lot. What do the numbers actually mean, not much if one judges by their always extensive patch notes where quite often a bug has nullified those modifiers for months or years and no one was the wiser about it. Writing about Paradox games in depth is like writing about patterns in the white noise you see on a TV screen. Darren Aronofsky made a movie about that. A good movie, so I am interesting on what Craig wrote too.

I actually agree with the statement you made that going down the “Paradox” way was the wrong thing to do, but not for the same reasons I suspect.

I’m glad someone does. And I remember back when you got this and the expansion pack and it was great to read something positive about the game and that you were enjoying it. I feel like a sucker with Civ, I keep coming back hoping it’ll get good. In the end, even Civ V turned out pretty ok to the point where I could enjoy it through its flaws. And deep down, I hope the second expansion to Civ VI does the same.

But oh boy, the diplomacy. I think I’m just tired of being spirited away to another screen to deal with diplomacy. Like in EU, I’d like to be able to declare to the world who I like and dislike, as opposed to the AI playing a guessing game with me. Firaxis have it wrong, the AI should be reacting to me, not the other way around. Uness it somehow becomes self aware, I’m the only one playing that particular game, the AI is just running the numbers to act as a hurdle. Further to that point, let the turns run through and then let me sift through the diplomatic messages. Yes, I’m looking at you Total War games.

When I look back at Civ IV, I saw the diplomacy as being pretty good. The fact that Firaxis had something good and tossed it away for Civ V, then slowly reintroduced the positive and negative factors that made a relationship in VI does give me some hope.

Whoa, sorry, it wasn’t intended that way! I didn’t know/recall what your experience level with EU4 was. In that case, I’ll just say that I completely disagree with your assessment of the diplomacy system and how you interact with the AI through it (and vice versa).

Hah, no worries!

Thanks for that message, Kevin. I have ~130 hours on EU4 and about 5% of the achievements, doh.

To each their own. I personally don’t find much of a difference in the behaviour I get from, say France or Austria towards Spain in EU 4, and the seemingly random angry reactions I get from CIV6 “leaders”.

Giving me some numbers that tell me the “absolute” value of a particular perception of the AI towards me isn’t particularly helpful as it is difficult to relate them to in game actions that I implement. Typically to try sway the historical determinism that Paradox has put into the system. Or what I perceive as such.

For instance, you can be actually investing lots of in game resources (money), or even making concessions (wanna Navarre, here you have it we don’t like those Protestant Navarrese people anyways!), yet you don’t really get an idea of what was the impact of that, Why does Francis I hate my guts if, on top of that, actually I have been supporting his Italian policies by turning down offers to ally from Milan and going for an Atlanticist policy.

He won’t give up until I have bashed his nation into submission, break it down into several rump kingdoms and what not. And even then, like a vampire, will try to come back for more!

At the age of incredible AI with Alphago I do not understand why civ don’t get a decent one.
Please stop writing new games mechanism until you can put an AI which can handle them.

Btw civ 5 fully modded is a wonderful game, did spend hundreds of hours on that.