Civilization VI

[quote=“Spock, post:3664, topic:78555”]
I’ve been trying the new civs and I especially like the Incas and Maori
[/quote] The Incas + a decent mountain range = Instant Winner

They are just beasts. I plan to use them as opponents when I want a tough game. Huns, Persia, and Incas would make a trio of pretty effective AI opponents, assuming they draw good starting locations.

I have been using it, too, but I have not gotten in the habit of referring to it, as opposed to just reflexively clicking on the leader icon.

So far I’ve been doing a good job of resisting the expansion, at least until it goes on a sale. I got the last but haven’t really played Civ VI enough to justify it. I get them hoping, one will make the game finished up and more fun, eventually.

So keep us posted!

In the meantime I’m going to address my backlog, which has items like Subnautica (sale purchase) on it. :)

I love Subnautica more than almost any other game in recent memory, so please play that. But I also went for the Greenmangaming sale as discounts for Civ games tend to take awhile.

After playing for almost a week, I have to say I wanted to like GS more than I am. The new civs are fun – the expansion might be worth picking up for them alone. I had loads of fun with Dido yesterday, forward-settling poor Gandhi until he was sealed into a tiny desert on the tip of our shared continent. And the Incas, as previously mentioned are pretty formidable, the ultimate turtling civ.

But everything else in GS – the World Congress and diplomatic favor system, environmental disasters, power and consumable resources – just aren’t grabbing me yet. The World Congress resolutions feel inconsequential throughout most of the game. The disasters are just irksome annoyances. The consumable resources system seemed promising in theory, but in practice, it just becomes more numbers to ignore most of the time. I do like that there are a few new paths to (peaceful) victory, but I wonder if they might have been implemented without all the layers of feature-creep goop.

I’m still undecided about the grievance system. I do think it’s an improvement over the inscrutable old system. But it still feels counter-intuitive in a few important ways. Maybe I just need more time with it.

Again, I was really looking forward to this one, which might be part of the problem. I hope it grows on me over time, but I’m doubtful right now.

Gathering Storm had piqued my curiosity. I was sorely tempted to jump back in and see how Civilization VI has come along.

This thread cured me of that temptation.

-Tom

I can say without any shadow of doubt you should stay away from this one, Tom.

Gathering Storm has gotten me back into Civilization VI. I’m in the “more fun” camp. I am enjoying the flavor that random natural disasters brings. Also the chance to assist fellow civilizations in their times of need… and to vote NOT to aid them if they are my enemies.

The new civs seem fun as well. I’m a sucker for a desert-based civ and Mali is my new favorite. Good synergy with religion and gold and trade. (Religion for me in Civ VI more than anything is currency to buy units and buildings esp. in league with the applicable ‘era bonus’ and the evangelized discount.)

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for the diplomatic ‘currency’? I’m never sure how much I should keep on hand for a rainy day; how much to use in deal-making or the new diplomatic menu.

I think you made the right call, honestly. Gathering Storm is more a garnish to an existing dish than fundamental course corrections for a game you didn’t care much for.

For me, they have smoothed off some things that bothered me greatly (random and nonsensical diplo AI behavior, for example) but many of the core problems I have still remain. The AI is still hopelessly inept in many ways, in particular the warfare side of things. I’m still able to build a handful of footmen and a pair of siege weapons and take over the world. It’s still a lot of busywork without many interesting decisions during the game.

I will say that Firaxis has improved the game, they’ve smoothed over some major irritants, but I think the fundamentals of the game are just as flawed as they ever were. I’m looking forward to what the Vox Populi type of crowd can do with it once Firaxis finally hands over the modding keys.

This is me as well, I’m having more fun with this than I have had in a long time. I think I’m actually enjoying 6 more than 5 now, but I still don’t really grok religion as well as I’d like and don’t like missionary spam. I should just turn it off in the settings - that didn’t used to work, but I read it does now. And, to be fair, in my game I am the one spamming missionaries, while the AI is working to undo my damage. I’m not really going for a religious victory, but I get dolla dolla billz y’all for each follower. :)

It only took 3 years or something like that but it sounds like the game might finally be in a state I might get some enjoyment out of. At this point I’ll wait for some kind of Ultimate Edition, but my main sticking point has been the very negative reports on the diplomatic AI.

It sounds like that, at least, has improved. Incompetent war AI doesn’t bother me much as I generally try and play peacefully.

Yes, it’s high time to let the modders have a go at this game. Whole areas of the game are crying out for some creativity and improvement.

I am happy to say the game I’m in now the only AI that doesn’t like me is the Mongols and everyone seems to be at war with him, and I get along with everyone else, so he’s an enemy of an enemy so to speak. It is making sense. However, I got really lucky and I’m pretty far from everyone, except my ally, so while the diplomacy AI is so far working well in my game, I don’t want to present it as “much better” or anything, because I could be a one off. If I get another game going after this (which seems likely, at this point) I’ll report back (or if this game goes sideways son me I’ll come by and bitch and moan, as well).

Btw, has anyone had problems with grievances?

Current game, I am neighbors and declared friends with Gilgamesh. One minor problem along the way, he complained about my settling near him, but given the two answer options, I chose to promise not to do it again, which grants Diplomatic favor (the other option gives grievances).

So maybe 15 turns later, I go to the diplomatic screen with Gilgamesh, and he is still friendly, but in red print I see he has 50+ grievances against me. wtf is that about, I did nothing to him. Then a couple turns later, I go back for another look, and the print has turned green and I have 50+ grievances against him. Huh?

Either I am not understanding something, or this is a bug.

Sounds like a bug to me.

Fixed it for ya. ;-)

So, I’ve been playing a LOT of Civ6 the past 2 weeks. I have liked Civ6 the least of any Civ series, but have been exploring it with the Rise and Fall expansion and various DLC (do not have the Gathering Storm DLC yet).

I have found a way to enjoy the game, but my interest always, always falls off once I get to Flight.

The first thing I have done is completely ignore religion. I don’t build holy sites, and thus I don’t get bogged down in the tedium of religious warfare. The religion mechanic is awful awful awful.

By doing that I enjoy the game for quite awhile, and I try not to stress too much about district placement.

However, when I get to flight, the game becomes insanely busy. Visually, the map is a complete mess. Districts, improvements and units mix together to create an absolute mess.

But then the district and city mechanics are taken to the next, frustrating level. Appeal? Housing? Loyalty? Amenities? Governors? Plus your normal improvements, adjacency bonuses, variety of support units with corps and armies and then you start getting new districts like neighborhoods and aerodomes… and it just becomes a frustrating mess

This is where I miss the Paradox model. They wouldn’t be afraid to completely rip out bad mechanics like religion and rework them. Firaxis won’t do that, and thus you will be stuck with this for the duration of Civ6.

+1

Yeah, I forget that religion even exists, beyond choosing a pantheon.

Oh the difference between playing against the AI and against real humans. In multiplayer, religion is really powerful, but of course it’s a fair investment to go chasing after one. And there’s no missionary spam: your faith is too valuable, and anyway a human would just declare war and kill the missionaries with military units.

Yet another fairly interesting and well balanced system ruined by the AI. :(

It’s been a long time since I’ve done anything with religion because I hate the tedium of trying to out-spam missionaries/apostles. What do they do with the faith instead of purchasing missionaries? Great People?

If you can grab Jesuit Education belief then buying libraries and universities is a very good use of faith. Otherwise I think great people are probably the best option, though there’s much to be said for buying an army with Theocracy. It really depends how much you choose to invest into faith collection.