Civilization VI

Five years is not a long time. Remember, that time is filled in with DLCs and expansions. They go from game, to expansion, to another expansion, to a new game in the series. It’s very hard to come up with anything amazing with that kind of process.

Spiffing Brit is funny but a bit like Zeropunctuation he has a shtick (watermarked stock art and Yorkshire Tea) and to keep the algorithms working his videos are getting longer, so the first couple videos are hilarious but he’s becoming a bit of a try hard as time goes on. Actually the funniest thing he’s done in a while is his “visit England” satire video.

Still, he’s famous enough that Amplitude studios made him an in game avatar as well as some other prominent influencers when they released to the YouTube community a preview build of Humankind.

I’m all in for Humankind, got into the December beta trials or whatever. But that bit left me cold. Who are these ‘influencers’ and why do I want to ‘play against them’? Now, I do actually know they have their YouTubes and what-all. But just, “Really? We’re doing this?” Oh well. Not going to dissuade me from Humankind. I’m looking forward to wringing my hands and gnashing my teeth when I try to decide whether to play Old World or Humankind night to night.

Yeah I absolutely despise putting influencers into games in any way or courting them. Just feels really gross or shameless.

why nobody has told me this before? “goat simulator for x4 games” is exactly what I love!

too bad I don’t play pc games anymore :(

Civ VI is getting a Zombie defense mode! Loving these fun alternate modes like Red Death. Still need to play the pirates one.

In Zombie Defense mode, every unit slain in combat has a chance to rise from the battlefield as a zombie, which will then chase and attack the nearest non-zombie. Units successfully killed will respawn as zombies themselves.

You have new trap and barricade improvements, which are built on owned or neutral territory, to deal damage to zombie units passing through or near them. You can also build two city projects that let you temporarily control the zombies within your city limits, which then lets you redirect zombies to target enemy units or move them out of the city.

There’s also the zombie defense spy operation, which lets you try to spawn zombies on worked tiles in another player’s city

TIL this week: competitive multiplayer Civilization is a thing.

Did competitive Civ6 multiplayer ever move beyond the “first to rush and mass upgrade swordsmen” meta?

Civ6 is free until Sunday for Xbox Live Gold members. Which made me do a double-take. What? Civ6 is out on consoles? I wonder how they made that work? I might download it just to see how it works with a controller without a game specifically designed that way like Civilization Revolution (which was brilliant).

It is on Switch too and that has cross-save syncing with the PC version.

I don’t know if the Xbox version has cross-save too, but maybe.

Such a great feature.

If anyone misses Civ4, I just recently discovered that Fall from Heaven 2 has actually been updating into an iteration called “Ashes of Erebus” that is still being updated today. They added a bunch of new stuff and looks like they rebalanced a lot of things.

It actually works really well with a controller on Xbox.

cool, thanks for the info!

Thanks! Probably my favorite gameplay experience of all time. It was a bit of a hassle getting it installed but now that I have I find that yes, they have made quite a few adjustments. It appears significantly more challenging.

Why weren’t Dune Wars and Fall from Heaven adapted to Civ VI?

-Tom

Firaxis (last I checked) have kept a lot of the modding tools locked away in Civ6. They did the same with Civ5 until they shipped the last DLC, so my guess is they have a mistaken notion that mods are competition with their DLC sales.

It is amazing the number of mods that are still being actively maintained for Civ4. A couple for Civ 4: Colonization as well.

Maybe not totally mistaken. Once the FFH came out, I had no further interest in the base game.

I would say it’s fairly typical for a lot of mods to want to stay current with the latest version of the game and to incorporate/modify new features that DLC provides. FFH required the expansions, for instance (or at least Beyond the Sword, I can’t recall for certain if it needed Warlords or not). The modding scene for Paradox games is thriving but it doesn’t seem to be eating into sales.

I don’t know, I think it’s shortsighted for a developer/publisher to see mods as competition rather than free content that adds additional value to for your game and may bring in new customers (anecdotally, I have multiple friends who bought Civ4 specifically for Fall from Heaven). Thankfully most strategy games don’t seem to be like that, Firaxis appears to be the odd duck on this one.