Clash Royale from Clash of Clans makers

I use it the other way around: the giant/knight is a blocker for the cheap units. Most of those cheap units do a fair amount of damage for what they are (i.e., they’re glass cannons). They just can’t get into range of the opposing tower.

In either case, the idea is to overwhelm the “free” damage of the cannon tower, rather than sending your units in spaced out over time.

They really need to mention in the tutorial “Don’t fireball a tower unless you can kill it”. I see an early tower fireball all the time, and it lets me know the other person has no idea what they’re doing and the match will be easy.

All the maps are the same? This game doesn’t seem like it will have much staying power to me, but that’s probably why I don’t design mobile games.

Also, if all the high level matches don’t start until each player gets 10 mana, maybe people should start with closer to that amount?

Heck, I’ve had matches where we both sit there with 10 for a while because no one wants to show their hand first.

Just started this last night and finding it a pretty fun timewaster. Is there a QT3 clan?

So, all my luck is wasted on a silly mobile game. I play casually - open only a couple of chests per day if I remember, and basically only play enough to have a few chests banked for unlocking. I’m level 3, with 500 trophies in arena 2. And I have the Prince, Baby Dragon, Witch, and Lightning epics. Unless any nerfs show up, apparently I can get to 1000+ trophies easily.

Where was this luck when powerball was $1bn or whatever.

Charmtrap, I don’t think there is a separate QT3 clan, but several QT3’ers are in “Black Company”, which is the CoC clan that I’m in to. If you’re interested, look for the Black Company with a blue flame banner and “grapeseed” as a member.

On epics, Daagar, I have Prince, Balloon, Lightning, and Goblin Barrel, which isn’t as great a mix as you have.

Prince, Balloon and Goblin Barrel are a really good set. It’s like the top 3 most annoying cards to play against. They’ll all take down at least half a tower if not countered immediately and perfectly. With other cards you at least have a couple of seconds to react. But against those three, it’s pretty much suicide to not keep 3-4 power + good counter available at all times if one of the lanes is empty.

My epics are X-Bow, Lightning, Witch and Giant Skeleton. I’d trade any of those away for one of the above in a heartbeat (haven’t even bothered to upgrade lightning to level 2 despite having the cards). The X-Bow is the only game changer there, but it seems to require an ultra-defensive all-protect one deck built purely around creating a safe space for placing that single card. It feels like I’m getting 80% draws when playing that, which is just no fun.

HATE THE PRINCE

Prince has a lot of counters - try Goblin Hut, Tombstone, or Skeleton Army if you have any of those. Sometimes even just throwing a trash troop in front of him so he wastes his charge will give you some aid. I’ve seen a lot of people say that Baby Dragon is actually more overpowered than Prince, though Prince seems to garner more hate right now.

Baby Dragon can be tough to deal with because many of the anti-units are groups of small units (e.g., archers, minions, goblin spears) that go down easy to the area damage.

I find the musketeer? Is great against dragons. I really really hate the goblin barrel, almost a guarantee to damage your towers a little bit even if you have a counter. The only thing I’ve seen work is placing a defensive building next to the tower but that’s easily avoided by a smart opponent.

The Musketeer is about an even trade with the Baby Dragon, which doesn’t really qualify as great. The other possibility is to wait for the Baby Dragon to lock on to a building or a tanky unit, and then play Goblin Spears somewhere outside the splash zone. On the other hand, an unsupported Baby Dragon isn’t a game winner either. It’s just a really good unit for winning the long grind over a lane.

The counters to the Goblin Barrel are Arrows or Fireball, thrown while the barrel is still in the air, centered on the target tower. It’ll kill the Goblins before they get their first attack in. With Arrows you’ll get a 1 elixir gain, with Fireball it’s just an even trade. But it does tie up the power and card slot, so some discipline is needed. (And this seems to be the main reason to prefer Arrows over Fireball – the Fireball is a lot more versatile, but the Arrows give a lot of chances for small efficiency gains like this).

Quick question:

Is there any reason to delay opening a chest (other than making the timer more convenient)? For instance, if you acquire a gold chest from the second arena, and wait to open it until you have advanced to the third arena, will its rewards upscale according to the current arena?

The rewards are fixed at the time you win the chest. The only reason to delay is that those slots will be immediately filled with new chests of your current arena. So you could wait until you’re in the higher arena, open a chest, and try to fill the slot with a better chest instead. But that seems like it’d be pretty marginal.

If you’re in a clan you should spam requests for cards whenever you can. You aren’t adding a burden for other clan players - they get gold equal to the card store value for every donation and also xp. So you can even swap the same cards back and forth for profit.

Though there’s not really a point to maximizing your cards anyway. The top players have apparently spent around 10k to get those decks so… it’s not like Hearthstone where you can actually use the exact decks pros do level with a moderate time sync or cash buy. There’s literally no hope. I don’t every consider chest timing or whatever anymore, just see how well I can do with what I have.

To be precise, they get the first-purchase store value of the donated card. Additional card purchases in the store, for a given day, ramp up. Also, the store selection is limited on a daily basis, of course. It’s not like you can convert gold to cards, at will, for any given card.

But you’re mostly right, it isn’t a huge burden, unless the donator is trying to collect enough of a given card to level up, of course.

On chest timing, getting new cards and trying new combos is, at least for me, the funnest part of the game. The battle mechanics are so simple that using the same deck over and over again gets stale. To get new cards, you need to advance to new arenas. To do that optimally, you’ll wan’t to upgrade your existing cards.

I’m hitting some level 6 players as a level 4… ouch. Pretty great when you manage to win though.

I’ve been on a fairly big losing streak. Feels like every opponent (arena 3) is dropping some combo of witch, prince, balloon, giant skeleton and it just keeps me against the ropes the whole match. I do like fiddling with my deck to try out different strats, but the Witch/Prince combo in particular is tough to combat.

All you need to do is kill the Witch or tie it up for a few seconds, and any trash troops + the tower will handle the Prince. And it’s an expensive enough combo that you should have some power to work with. A couple of ideas that I guess would work, and all of which should be positive trades.

• Drop Barbarians directly on the Witch, then Skeletons/Goblins to the side (if Prince didn’t turn back) or on top of Prince (if he did).
  • Drop a Giant between the Witch and the Prince. It’ll draw the aggro from both. Then drop Skeletons/Goblins on the Prince.
  • If the opponent plays a Witch behind a tower to build up for a big combined push, Lightning will kill the Witch and do a good chunk of damage to the tower.

Just opened up a big chest that I got from a win last night and wound up with a lvl 2 Barbarian Hut. Anyone using it? Seems pricey for 7 mana.