Clash Royale from Clash of Clans makers

Awww, but he was just trying to help dad!

So as I mentioned, I’m always short on gold. This means I’m really picky on what I upgrade. At the same time, I’ve been playing around with the summoning cards. One of the interesting things about the summoning cards is that the unit level is card level +2. So. A lvl 4 barb hut puts out lvl 6 barbs.

That means a card that costs you less gold on upgrades, for the same unit lvl. Back to the lvl 4 hut, you’re getting 10 total lvl 6 barbs for 7 elixir. It’s 12.5 to get 10 barbs for the barb card and that card would have to be lvl 6 (costing more gold) to match.

Now, it’s a bit apple and oranges of course because the hut is spread out in time and isn’t reactive. Still, I’m liking the math.

Yeah I’m at that point where I need to only upgrade one deck’s cards. Which is bumming me out of a bit since I like making decks.

i’m not sure your math works out because the building is usually more rare than the unit it outputs. And a rare at level 3 is already like a common at level 5 (or whatever the math is) right?

The game has enough variables that many of the cards are hard to compare straight across. For example, even at the same level (e.g., 4) it’s hard to definitively say that muskeeter (4 mana, single unit ranged) is better than goblin spears (2 mana, 3 unit ranged). The goblins are cheaper and walk faster but the muskeeter is hardier does more DPS (until the last HP, to boot) etc. It’s very situational and also dependent on the rest of the cards in your deck.

The spawn buildings are a little different because it’s the same unit coming out.

Sent an invite request to Black Company. If you guys are too full for a noob I understand!

Interesting take:

Ok the game is just straight up fucking with me now. Loaded up a match and just as I hit 10 mana, the no connection icon popped up and kept me from placing any units while I had to sit there and watch my opponent drop units, wreck my shit and spam “Thank you” over and over with no lag whatsoever.

That happened to me a few times, too. I really like the way the game plays and I even enjoyed it for a multiplayer game, which I normally shy away from. But man, you can tell when you start hitting that paywall - I would lose and get demoted to the previous arena pretty regularly, then I’d kick ass in that bracket and rocket back to where I was, only to rinse and repeat several times. I wouldn’t have minded putting money in to support the game; it’s a smart design and it’s a fun game! But I have a problem putting money into something where the only gains are so intangible. Maybe I can level up a few more cards? Then what? I get to the point where I’m stuck in the FOLLOWING arena all over again? No thanks. Great game, but I’m happy to not have it installed any more.

So turns out that there are tournament rules, where the card levels are capped: common 8, rare 6, epic 3. I’ve been playing for three weeks (no in-app purchases, not using the clan features for advancement), and my main deck is at level 7 common, level 4-5 rare, level 2 epic. So I think those caps should be reachable for a sufficient subset of your cards in about 2 months. It remains to be seen where they actually go with the tournament idea, but if it becomes easy to get competitive games with card level caps, I think it’d totally solve the problems of the free to play skeeziness.

(Also, I’m at 39/48 cards unlocked, and just got a 2nd magic chest with two guaranteed epics, so probably getting the 40 card achievement by tomorrow. So I don’t think the paygate is on diversity either. It’s purely on the trophy treadmill).

I think if you think of Royale as an RPG or some other game that you have to “beat”, yeah, it’s never going to work. I think of it as a pickup game of chess or Ascension, or something similar. The advancement and new cards helps to add variety, but the fun is in the play, itself (win or lose). I like creeping (slowly) up the arenas to access new cards, but I enjoy the play of each match, in and of itself. If you don’t enjoy the battles, in isolation, then yeah, advancement isn’t the reason to hang around.

I’m at 37/48, started a few days after launch. I haven’t spent any cash on it, either. I’m still making progress up the Arena ladder, admittedly at what seems to be a slow-ish rate, but getting there. At the pace I’m going, I’ll hopefully crack Arena 6 in a week or so.

I’ve now arrived in Arena 7 (Royal Arena) for the first time, though I’m sure it’ll be a very short visit. But just getting two rares (Musketeer, Goblin Hut) from level 4 to level 5 was enough to push me from around the 1750 level to breaking 2000. One more upgrade on one of my core cards, and I should be comfortable in that arena.

It’s kind of fun playing with a totally underleveled deck compared to the opponents, you really need to squeeze out every bit of efficiency. One funny trick I’ve been using is for dealing with my Fireball not being quite able to kill a Witch or a Wizard, but I’d often want to kill them while they’re still next to the tower. So what you do is take advantage of the physics of the game, and place the Fireball in such the way that the Witch/Wizard gets propelled from next to the tower to right in front of your advancing melee units, who can then finish the job rather than be killed while trying to close the gap. (Or worse, get stuck attacking the tower while letting the unit continue sniping from the side).

Is the Clan still active Stepsongrapes? If so is it possible to get an invite? My name is Dunqan in game (with a Q in the middle). Thanks!

looks like you’re all set :)

They increased the tournament cap, so it’s now 9/7/4/1. Which since it’s exponential is a pretty big jump.

So annoying…as a level 6, all I faced were level 7 players. Now that I’m level 7, where are all the level 6 opponents?! Now I’m stuck with about 50/50 level 7s and 8s.

Wow. It’ll take like 6 months to get a single level 4 epic, and that’s assuming you buy 1-2 copies of that card any time it shows up in the card shop. Which means you can’t afford to spend coins on upgrading anything else. I think I could now get my main deck to tournament level in 18-24 months. A second viable deck? Pretty much impossible. And how much real money would it now cost to get most cards to tournament level? $500?

The doublespeak-laden announcement posts, https://clashroyale.com/blog/news/competition-and-clash-royale and https://clashroyale.com/blog/news/tournament-rules are particularly lovely. It’s as if either they don’t know how to do basic arithmetic and actually think they’re not destroying competitive Clash Royale. Or they know exactly what they’re doing ($$$), but are hoping that none of their player base can count.

At least it’s good to know for sure that Supercell can’t be trusted.

Yeah it’s pretty bullshit. It’s not like tournaments were even a big part of the game yet or anything either, 99.9% of players have never played in one. Certainly no substitute for ladder.

Congrats!

Now that I’m level 7, where are all the level 6 opponents?!

Play badly, and you’ll start seeing them.

It was pretty clear to me from fairly early on that there’s no way to meaningfully progress in this game after a point without spending ungodly gobs of cash, which apparently only people in Asia are prepared to do.

Speaking of which, I’ve already deleted the app, so you may as well drop me out of your clan, Stepsongrapes.