Classic Air Combat Sim Recommendations

My Prophets, this thing is HUGE. Nearly 500 pages.

Awesome. That’s part of what makes reading this so fun for me. It was amazing what you’d find in a box - or even in a manual back in the day.

I feel like we lost the LP when we lost the big boxes, and we never really replaced it with anything. DVD cases and a download bar.

I don’t know if this is venturing too far away from videogames and too far into the real world (ew!) but Chuck Yeager was a great interview subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh_mKBVzpA8

I’ve been playing Starshatter, which came in a DVD-size case, and the keyboard sheet is SOOO TINY.

Hah oh wow that video is FROM EA.

Haha, I didn’t even realize! How appropriate!

This is the next sim I plan on streaming once I’m done with F-19, so I’m VERY glad to have finally snagged a copy of this.

I mean, if you want to fly an Apache, get thee a copy of Longbow 2…

C’mon, you know I have one. I already have that strategy guide. I actually might like GS2000 more than LB2.

Even the experience of browsing the store shelves was all the more enticing with those big boxes, especially when some of them played with the shapes.

Hey, Longbow Gold puts its hands up. I like LB1s crunchy pixels more than the weird GLide stuff of LB2.

Isn’t Longbow Gold still primarily a DOS game that you can still run via DOSBox?

So yesterday I played F-19 on veteran difficulty for the first time, and my prophets it’s like an entirely new game. Whereas on lower difficulties you could fly under an enemy fighter in the middle of the day with no problem. Now they’ll actually see you with their eyeballs and engage. Made the game far, far more tense. Totally loved it.

So this was a neat read. It’s tips and such for Gunship 2000 from the game’s lead designer.

So today I did my first missions against veteran opponents in F-19 and wow, it’s like a whole new game.

I went to look for your video on YouTube and found the last one was 6 months ago. Have you switched over to Twitch completely?

Shit, I should make that more visible:

Here’s the latest one:

As soon as I learned I could emulate this on my PC, and therefore stream it, I had to snag a copy.

OMG YOU GUYS

That game sounds so much better than it is. I remember getting the press about it, getting an early review copy, and… Yeah, it’s one step above an aviation text adventure.

shhh don’t harsh the buzz of “every classic sim is fire” Brian’s got going on