Classic/Slow-Paced RTS Multiplayer "Tournament" aka Old Games for Old People

Offworld Trading Company?

I still haven’t gotten around to OTC despite preordering it, so i’d personally be up for that. Don’t know if it fits the bill though.

I hear you on AoE2, but that wasn’t one I personally suggested (preferring Age of Mythology, even). It remains in the running for whatever reason and I’ve just accepted it for now. Kohan was on my personal list, but I was pushing for Ahriman’s Gift rather than the sequel.

I’ve pitched both Tooth and Tail and Offworld Trading Company in a conversation on Discord, along with Dawn of War 1, which I prefer over 2 but wouldn’t fight to the death for or anything. OTC can get a bit cutthroat in terms of pacing, but the game has minor preventative measures in place to keep people from micromanaging the purchase and sale of resources too much (and good decision making and strategic planning always wins over clicking faster).

I haven’t experienced that much micro with AoE 2, except maybe when lulling the boar.
I would be up for Dawn of War 1 if they hadn’t messed by the balance with the last dlc, but otherwise I would prefer any of the em
Ensemble games, or Kohan 2.

There is also a new patch coming out for AoE 2 which should help with stability.

Napoleon tourney? Shit yes. I would find a way to get at least a few matches.

That’s… a pretty good idea, actually. Completely overlooked the TW idea the first time I read that post.

If people run into this being laggy, there is a set of dlls that you can put into the game directory that solve the problem. Works of Immortal Sovereign as well.

So, here is a list of a few games so far, most discussed in some fashion or another. Sadly, I don’t own all of these games.

Let me know if new games should be added.

AoE 2
AoE 3
AoM
Kohan 2
StarCraft (it was suggested)
Warlords Battlecry 3
Stars War Battlegrounds
Empire, Battle for Dune (Although, no idea if that works)
Stars Wars Empire at Wars (with mods?)
Dawn of War
Dawn of War 2
Dawn of War 3 (Just to be complete)
Spellforce
Spellforce 2
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander 2
Company of Heroes
Company of Heroes 2
Empire: Total War
Total War: Rome
Total War: Rome 2
Total War Shogun
Total War: Shogun 2
Medieval: Total War
Medieval 2: Total War
Overlord
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
Total War: Warhammer 2
Tooth and Tail
Offworld Trading
BattleRealms
World in Conflict

A new poll is out for those that would like to participate in the 2nd tournament.

I still have a soft spot for Empire Earth.

Just sayin’!

Another game that came out at about the same time as Battle Realms, and Empire Earth that I enjoyed was Conquest: Frontier Wars.

While I think Starcraft: Brood War should definitely be excluded. Starcraft 2 has very good unit AI which makes it much less micro/high APM intensive than many other strategy games, until you get into very high level play. I think it should be considered.

Dawn of War is a really fun game, but if it is included, use of the zoom-out mod should be mandated. It’s painful to play in 2018 without that.

I just mentioned that to @Otagan yesterday. Is it even available these days?

It is available on gog.com and steam. Apparently you need to install a fix on moddb.com to be able to run it on windows 10, and then have to enable direct input to have the mouse work, and modify the config file in order for the mouse to not be super laggy. Probably not worth the effort for folks. One of these days I might try installing it in a xp vm and see if it will run there.

Wish I could have, but I’ve had some mobo issues lately, and am in the middle of a remodel and can’t troubleshoot much. May see if I can jump in at a later date when it’s all addressed. It’s kept me out of the Dom 5 game/games too.

So we tried some comp-stomping tonight. Me, Otagan and Enidigm took on some AIs in CoH. As the Americans we beat 3 normal Comps pretty solidly. Then as the Germans we took on 2 normal and 1 hard Comps and Jesus wept, those Jeeps. We got beat by the AI, with them having like 400 points left when we were at 0. It was humiliating. I demand a rematch!

The whole experience reminded why I love CoH, despite being a crappy CoH player.

Seeing that there is a Comp Stomp Monday channel, is that a regular thing? Knowing ahead of time I can probably get my wife to put our youngest daughter to bed and jump in, though I suck.

I think so. @Otthegreat and I played 3 games of AoE 2. It was pretty fun, but we were just messing around on easy and standard.

Yeah I think we’re hoping it will be. The idea just came up this past week, so Monday will be our first attempt. I think we’re aiming for a 9:00 or 9:30pm Eastern start.

The AoE games with @legowarrior were a lot of fun. The second was probably the best, since we had to constantly fend off attacks on lego’s base. We were playing the Defend the Wonder mode, and are still messing around with the settings to find what works best.

I think we might need to do 2 on 3, instead of 2 on 3 on 3.

Which is a shame, because it looked like the AI was having some epic battles without us.

That being said, most of us are open to pick up games through out the week. Just need to ask on one of the channels.