Classic/Slow-Paced RTS Multiplayer "Tournament" aka Old Games for Old People

Makes sense! I’ll give a bit more time for people to add games to the list, then try to add one to the first post.

Traveling today, but I’ll see what I can put together.

Sorry, I haven’t the time, I’m afraid. I just thought I’d suggest a game. :)

The classic versions that come with the Remastered version have multiplayer (including LAN) disabled for some reason.

No, not really. I don’t really enjoy RTSs any more, me being an old fart with low stress tolerance. I just thought I would recommend one I used to like.

The only one of those I’m interested in is Rise of Nations. If there’s a tourney for that, please count me in.

Oh man. I love me some Rise of Nations!

Okay, how many people would be on-board for a Rise of Nations-only tournament of some sort? No formal commitment, just gauging interest.

If that’s what we start with, I am on board.

Sounds like we have at least 4. How should we coordinate this? Through the forum or Slack or?

Go on and take me off the list. My gaming time is going to be very hit and miss for a while and I would only hold things up. Oh, and I’m horrible are RTS too.

You aren’t the only one.

Also, check out the discord channel posted above.

The discord invite expired

Let me know if the link works.

Worked

Looks like we are starting to get a trickle of people. @Otthegreat and @Otagan, what is the next step going to be?

I still want an idea of how many people would be interested first. Given it’s a long weekend for most, including myself, waiting a few days seems prudent either way.

Let’s set a time to commit to the RoN tourney at 12am EST on Wednesday, December 27th, which should give everyone time to finish their long weekend and decide if they want to join. Then we can assign pairings, etc.

By the way, RoN extended edition is on sale on Steam for $5 right at the moment.

Thanks for the game recommendations everyone. Regardless of whether or not you plan on joining in.

Sounds like we’re on track for a Rise of Nations tournament this coming week, join us on the discord if you’re interested!

All right, time to try getting this party started.

Here’s another thought for future tournaments: team tournaments.

In a 1v1 tournament, we are playing on small maps, but some of these games are best on medium to large maps. So perhaps a tournament of 2 person teams, on medium sized maps? Sure, somewhat harder to schedule but hey.

To get the ball rolling, I suggest a Kohan II 2 person team tournament, using Game Ranger to connect. I will volunteer to team with the least experienced player. Caveat: if Enidigm joins, he also has to team with an inexperienced player.