Classic Video Game "Book Club" -- Who's in?

Interesting pick sharaleo. Can’t say I’ve ever played a Divinity game, unfortunately this won’t be changing. <1 hour of game time the last two weeks :(

After Lady Gaga sang her rendition of the lounge song from Katamari Damacy, Peter Molyneaux came out and handed me an envelope containing the name of the next Decider. I opened it and it read…

Nikolaj!

This is (no pressure, Nik) our twentieth game for the Classic Games Club! They laughed at us! They said we could never get to ten games, much less twenty! Boy, were they wrong. They are really eating crow now! Stupid They. (I bet that’s not even They’s real name.)

Thanks to all of the participants, past and future, who have taken part in a club game or two (or twenty). Here’s to the next twenty.

Take your time, Nikolaj. You have until about Wednesday/Thursday to make your decision and post. Looking forward to your pick!

Huzzah! I think I’ve found the game I want to pick. I wanted to find something that’s easily available to buy, something that I haven’t played before but have been wanting to play, and of course it has to be an arguably classic game. And preferably something that I already own. :)

Anyway, I’ll try to do a quick write-up and I aim to post it tomorrow.

I can’t wait until tomorrow. That’s too far away!

Looking forward to it!

I’m still wrapping it up, but Last Express was a great pick.

I don’t know if you guys noticed it, but I kept getting strange one-frame subliminal messages from those flickering, rotoscoped characters. I’m not sure how or why but after hours of playing, their message seems to have ingrained itself in my mind, and the message says the next Decider is…

CaseyRobinson!

A recent but dedicated contributor to the Classic Games Club for the last few cycles. It’s all you, Casey! I sent you a private message with some basic guidelines. When you’ve decided (take your time, if you need it), post your thread. Looking forward to the pick!

Game selected. I want to do a bit more research and collect some links before I kick off the thread. I’m aiming for tomorrow morning.

So I’m about out of contributors from which to pick a new Decider. But it’s probably fair to say that my system has holes like a spaghetti strainer, so before I start circling back to past Deciders, I wanted to see if there was anyone out there who has contributed in the past, even briefly, and was waiting for their chance to nominate a game or felt like they got passed over.

I’m not going to be real picky as to what “contributed” means, or go back and try to verify your participation. All I ask is this: You pick, you play, you post. Please don’t pick a game if you don’t plan on playing along and posting about the game. And, of course, I hope you’ll carry on and try out future games the club considers.

For now, just post in this thread and let me know if you’d like to participate. I don’t know if I’ll get a lot or only a few names, so I’ll figure out how to proceed once I see that.

Also, this seems like as good a time as any to evaluate the club, both its rules and its reason for being. So if anyone has thoughts on how to keep the club energized and fun for all in the future, please share.

Oh man, I’m really enjoying this rotating game discussion, please keep it up. I don’t always participate, but I love it when I can.

I have another game I’ve been waiting to see picked, though I don’t have enough passion for it to carry the conversation by myself. There’s a good chance we’ll see some interest here.

Don’t forget a lot of people here will be playing Pillars of Eternity for a while. And unrelated: don’t be afraid to put the club on hiatus for a while to re-energize everybody.

I’d like to give it a shot at some point, but the one game I was really passionate about selecting (The Last Express) has already been picked, so I’d need some time to find an alternate.

I’ve just been getting hammered between work and school lately. So my time has been pretty thin. I’ve got plenty more games I’d love to see come up. Civilization 4, Age of Empires 2, TIE Fighter (which I would have picked over Wing Commander had it been out on GOG at the time), so I see no shortage of games. Just a matter of time :)

Oh, yes, I too would love to be a decider as I already have a game in mind. :) whenever is cool.

I can think of a couple of games I haven’t played but want to that I’d pick. (One of them is on my list of RPGs to play next month while I have no new releases to worry about, even.)

It doesn’t address the revitalizing issue, but I was recently thinking about a Classic Game Club console auxiliary that would drop or change a couple of relevant rules and run alongside the existing club. The biggest problems with it would be the unavoidable need for emulation for a lot of potential game choices, and the fact that a lot of the console-oriented people on Qt3 are currently tied up with Bloodborne.

Let me know when you want to clear the place out. I’ve got a couple of (what I consider) old classics that I doubt anyone actually wants to play.

Thanks, everyone, for offering to be future deciders. All you past deciders don’t need to worry; I’ll be putting your names back into the hat here soon, after I give the last few folks a chance.

Speaking of which, I was outside at night, looked up and saw a falling star, so I made a wish, wishing to know who should be the next Decider. Then the falling star crashed to earth right at my feet and from within the smoking crater I heard an alien voice that spoke the name…

KaoFloppy!

Kao, if you’re up to play, then please pick our next game. I’ve sent you a PM with some guidelines.

Well, I don’t qualify as a full-time participant. “Too busy” and all that stuff. Well, this call-to-arms came at an opportune time, as I will have some free time this month! I will return in a few days with my choice. Don’t worry, I’ll stay away from JRPGs.

Lemme see, how old is Hexcell?

Glad the timing is good! You definitely qualified as a participant on Last Express when you posted about your frustrations with the aimlessness of the game and how you were attempting to get over them. I really admired that you were giving the game a try and talking about the difficulties with it.

Look forward to your pick!

Sorry, I lied! Qt3 Classic Game Club #22: Anachronox.

It’s a JRPG after all! But at least it’s a western one…

RIP Classic Game Club? :’(

We should do Syndicate next…