Classic Video Game "Book Club" -- Who's in?

Sorry, all. I’ve been mulling over for a week what the future of the Games Club should be: Does someone else need to run it? Is there a way to breathe new life into it? Would a hiatus be the best thing? Would love to hear thoughts. My apologies to those I teased with the prospect of being Decider in the near future.

I like it the way it is, and even though I mostly don’t participate, I always enjoy reading the threads. I don’t think a generally low number of participants is necessarily a problem, or a reason to consider the project a failure. It’s just the way things are, with many people perhaps not having the time to participate, or not having any interest in whatever the current game is.

I think you’re doing a great job of running it, so I think you should keep doing it (assuming you want to, of course).

I love to participate as much as possible. Definitely tried several games I would not have otherwise. I skipped Anachronox simply because I had already just started another classic RPG, KotOR. So time was simply not there for a second.

I don’t really participate all that much but it is fun just to read the thread. Takes me back sometimes, and other times it introduces me to a game I never got to try.

Which for me has been most of them. (Never having tried that is)

Whatever ever happened to to the Classic Game Club? Did an Ion Storm game (Anachronox) kill this thread? That would be ironic and fitting, I guess.

Here’s a listing of my GOG account games:

Games I’ve never played and haven’t been in the CGC:

[ul]
[li] Heroes Of Might and Magic III Complete (I played a bit of 1, the actual M&M games and some Kings Bounty)
[/li][li] Temple Of Elemental Evil
[/li][li] Caesar 3 (We’ve had Zeus)
[/li][li] Crusader: No Regret (We’ve had Crusader: No Remorse)
[/li][li] RollerCoaster Tycoon 1/2/3
[/li][li] Syndicate Wars
[/li][li] Ultima 4: Quest Of The Avatar
[/li][li] Worlds Of Ultimate: Savage Empire (We had Martian Dreams?)
[/li][li] Stargunner (free!)
[/li][li] Realms of Arkadia 1: Blade Of Destiny
[/li][li] Realms of Arkadia 2: Star Trial
[/li][li] TYRIAN 2000 (free!)
[/li][li] Dragonsphere (free!)
[/li][/ul]

Games I’ve played before that haven’t been part of the CGC:

[ul]
[li] Dungeon Keeper 1 (gold) & 2
[/li][li] Sensible World of Soccer 96/97
[/li][li] Painkiller Black Edition (2004 – did we have this one?)
[/li][li] System Shock 2
[/li][li] Syndicate 1 (+ extension)
[/li][li] Lure of The Temptress
[/li][li] Flight Of The Amazon Queen (a) free! b) never got past 1/4 of the game)
[/li][li] Empire Earth Gold Edition
[/li][li] Broken Sword: Director’s cut (well, I played the original, but this has NEW STUFF?)
[/li][li] Jagged Alliance 2
[/li][li] Jagged Alliance 1: Deadly Games
[/li][li] Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
[/li][li] The Longest Journey (never got through much of this, so I’m not sure I’d count it played)
[/li][li] In Cold blood (got through a bit of this, so semi-played)
[/li][li] Beneath a Steel Sky
[/li][/ul]

Games I’ve played before that have also been part of the CGC:

[ul]
[li] Theme Hospital
[/li][li] Blood
[/li][li] Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri
[/li][li] Thief 2: The Metal Age (or did we play Thief 1?)
[/li][/ul]

Games I’d not played before, but played as part of the CGC:

[ul]
[li] Crusader: No Remorse
[/li][li] Zeus + Poseidon
[/li][li] Sacrifice
[/li][li] Wing Commander 3: Heart of the Tiger
[/li][li] Darklands
[/li][li] Worlds Of Ultimate 2: Martian Dreams
[/li][li] Imperialism 2: The Age Of Exploration
[/li][/ul]

Games that are too new to count:

[ul]
[li] Rayman: Origins
[/li][li] Mount & Blade
[/li][li] Magrunner Dark Pulse
[/li][li] Treasure Adventure Game
[/li][/ul]

Notice how there’s not a “games I’ve never played but have been part of the CGC” ;). Even if I only gave some of those games an hour, I still played them! (edit: Actually, I’ve missed 19-22 entirely, even if I bought them. I really want to play some of them… been missing the time lately)

edit: Excellent, Nightgaunt is keeping a list in the first post, though it’s missing Anachronox:

#1 Imperialism II {Nightgaunt}
#2 Star Wars: Jedi Knight (Dark Forces II) {Spock}
#3 Thief 2: The Metal Age {Rock8man}
#4 Darklands{rezaf}
#5 Ultima Worlds of Adventure 2: Martian Dreams {Nightgaunt}
#6 Blood{Pod}
#7 Wing Commander 3 {CraigM}
#8 Command & Conquer: Red Alert {Otagan}
#9 Sacrifice {krayzkrok}
#10 Fallout {Desslock}
#11 Master of Orion {jsnell}
#12 Zeus: Master of Olympus {DireAussie}
#13 Realms of the Haunting {GregB}
#14 Crusader: No Remorse {charmtrap}
#15 Theme Hospital {Kelan}
#16 Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri {MrPinguin}
#17 Cave Story {WarpRattler)
#18 Doom {Tim James}
#19 Divine Divinity {sharaleo}
#20 The Last Express {Nikolaj}
#21 Freespace 2 {CaseyRobinson}
#22 Anachronox {KaoFloppy}

The CGC is what prompted me to sign up for the forums in the first place, joined in time for Thief. Of all the games in the CGC the only one I had ever played before was Jedi Knight. Of the ones that came up I played most, though my late winter/ early spring was a mess so I had to bow out of a few. Of the ones I did play Master of Orion was by far my favorite, which is probably no surprise for those who had played it before.

Really there were a few games that caught me off guard for how much I liked them. I had never heard of Darklands, but I really enjoyed that one. Theme Hospital was an enjoyable week or two. Cave Story is a game I’ve seen come up numerous places, but had never paid it much attention, I’m glad I played it this time. The Last Express had long been on my ‘to play’ pile for the setting alone.

Unfortunately some games didn’t click like I had hoped. Alpha Centauri was one I expected to love immediately, but instead left me cold. Sure my time was rather tight when it came up, but still it should have made more impact than it did. Command and Conquer had some nostalgia for me, so when it came up I was excited, but that one also left me unsatisfied.

Still I tried a bunch of new-to-me games I wouldn’t have done otherwise.

[/li]
No, I don’t think the club did Martian Dreams.

Yes we did, immediately after Darklands actually. The setting was interesting, but I never made much progress myself. two RPG’s in a row was too time consuming, especially since I wasn’t ready to be done with Darklands yet.

I stand corrected! Thanks.

Bumping this thread. I was looking for this list to cross-reference the big GOG sale happening right now, mainly to confirm that Imperialism II is the game I want to pick up.

Incidentally, the next 24 hours is the most convenient time to pick up any/all of these games from GOG. If a game is going on sale, it’s will have the sale price today.

Let’s all do a Steam Special Classic Video Game Club! Choose a classic game, buy it, play it for 1hr 59min, jot down your thoughts and then refund the fuck out of that thing!

Bad sharaleo, BAD.

Well good idea up until the end, then I need to get a rolled up newspaper for you.

It it time to kick off season 2 of this?

Nightgaunt, do you want someone else to track the deciders? I’ll gladly volunteer if that’s the case.

Sorry for the slow response; I’ve been on vacation.

There have been about five times in the last few months that I’ve promised myself I would get the club rolling again. I think it might be great for everyone to have someone else take the helm. Please do, Casey! And run it however you like! I would suggest that you look back in the thread a bit and see who the folks were that I promised could get a whack at being Decider and work them into the process somehow. If you’re not sure what I mean, I’ll do the digging (right now I’ve got to recover from jetlag).

Thanks for volunteering, Casey, and thanks to those who weighed in above to say they enjoyed participating and/or reading the club threads.

Thank you, Nightgaunt. I didn’t participate much but greatly enjoyed reading all the trips down DOS high memory lane.

Indeed! Plus, there are some more titles now available at places like GOG so we have a few more options available now to us.

cough coughLucasartscough

I’ve actually gone back and done more MoO and Imperialism lately. Got Panzer General on tap soon too, as is TIE Fighter. So the club is very much still alive in my heart ;)

I don’t see any need to change any of the ground rules, they seemed to work well. Lets get round two underway. Add your name to the list below if you want to pick a game this time around.

I want to be a decider in Classic Video Game Club Season 2:

CaseyRobinson