Classics that stand the test of time

NOO!!! DO NOT USE TUTU! NO TUTU! NO TUTU!

Seriously, Tutu stopped working about 1/3 through my Baldur’s Gate game. I tried reinstalling w/o it, and the savegames were incompatible. So I reinstalled with Tutu, and the savegame still wouldn’t work.

The moral is: Just deal with 640x480.

I only played Thief a few years after it came out and after LG went bust, and Thief II maybe a year and a half after that. Looks horrible, but the gameplay is as sharp as ever. Strangely, playing Deus Ex for the first time this last year I couldn’t get into it the same way, although I played it all the way through.

I’ve been Age of Empires II with my buds, and its still got the same charm.

And I know there’ll be some disagreement on which is the best in the series, but SimCity 2000. Everytime I load that sucker in I get hooked for about a month nonstop.

Oh and I can always come back to:
Fallout(s)
Alpha Centauri
Europa Universalis

Jet Grind Radio on the Dreamcast!

The Longest Journey.

Missionforce Cyberstorm.

A few games that I can load up and still enjoy despite their age are: Civ 2, Age of Kings, and Diablo II. Some of the guys in the office play some old games regularly, including Star Craft and Total Annihilation, and others have replayed and raved about games like System Shock II and Escape from Monkey Island.

It’s best when games don’t have to stand the test of time. I love Total Annihilation, but… mmmmm, Supreme Commander! There’s nothing better than seeing an old, great game be completely superceded by its successor, and it happens so rarely. The soundtrack to TA rocked, though, and music is always a big “if” for sequels, even if everything else goes well.

If you never played TA, I advocate NOT running out and buying it, unless SupCom bombs :)

Console-wise, I think Zelda 3, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, and Xenogears are still more than competitive with today’s console games, in terms of fun… and 80% of them emulate quite nicely.

PC-wise… nobody mentioned Jagged Alliance 2, Wizardry 8, or Deus Ex. Maybe they aren’t old enough? :)

Considering a game from 2000 or 2001 to be “old” makes me feel old. :(

Everything released in this decade is brand-freaking-new.

Agree with most of the above, would add Grim Fandango to the list. Absolutely outstanding adventure game, in every way.

There has to be some limit, or people will nominate games like Wing Commander. Way back when, I had to disable my cache and half-clock my CPU - a 486 DX2 66 - just to catch a glimpse of the enemy between takeoff and death. You could probably finish the whole game in a quarter of a second on a modern computer - if it ran at all. Compatibility does have some impact on standing the test of time…

Giants: Citizen Kabuto and Evolva for $2 at gogamer

Also look for the other bundles and packs for sale at gogamer and other places.
Conquest 6 Pack
Jagged Alliance: Gold, Jagged Alliance 2, Jagged Alliance: Wildfire, Celtic Kings Rage of War, Patrician II Quest for Power, Rails Across America, Warrior Kings: Battles

4 Play Action Pack
Tomb Raider: Chronicles, Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition, Commandos 2: Men of Courage, Thief II: The Metal Age

Pirates: Ascaron Collection Volume 1 (I)
Patrician 3, Port Royale, Tortuga

The Conqueror’s Collection
Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri, Sid Meier’s Civil War Collection, Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun, Celtic Kings Rage of War, Waterloo

Commanders Collection
Silent Hunter II, IL-2 Sturmovik, Flanker 2.5

World War 2 Collection
Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Battlefield 1942, Secret Weapons over Normandy

edit
Wargamer’s Choice Strategy 6 Pack
American Conquest, Combat Mission 1: Special Edition, Cossacks: Back To War, No Man’s Land, Strategic Command, Sudden Strike 2

Fantasy 6 Pack
Dragon Throne, Prince of Qin, Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood, Disciples II: Guardians of Light, Disciples II: Servants of the Dark, Disciples II: Dark Prophecy

Super Strategy 4 Pack
Majesty Gold Edition, Risk II, Civilization II, Age of Empires Gold Edition

Tom Clancy’s Counter Terrorism Classics
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six, Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear, The Sum of All Fears

Thief & Thief 2 Combo
No One Lives Forever 2
Unreal Gold Edition
Unreal Tournament 2004

I’m 24, and this thread is definitely making me feel old. Morrowind and Vice City are classics that hold up over time? Are you kidding me? I still can’t get a consistent 40+ FPS in Morrowind.

Fallout 1
Fallout 2
Planescape
Jagged Alliance 2
Master of Orion 2

I can’t stress this enough. No matter how old this game is, it’s incredible and always will be. I played it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and loved every minute of it. In fact, I’d rate it among the best games I’ve ever played. The story and gameplay is just that well-crafted.

Operation Flashpoint, definitely.

Uh, yeah, what they all said, plus a couple more:

• Sam 'n Max Hit the Road (may require ScummVM)
  • TRON 2.0
  • Shadow Watch
  • Knights of the Old Republic
  • Silent Storm Gold Edition (finally available in the US)
  • Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom
  • Eric the Unready
  • Star Trek: A Final Unity (if you can get it to run; also, let the AI handle space combat)
  • The Last Express
  • Myth: The Total Codex
  • Aliens vs. Predator 2

Also, the Underdogs seems to be down indefinitely. :(

• Alan

If you’re just getting into gaming don’t let PC centric snobs ruin you. Get a console, any console.

If you’re asking for classics because of the incredible value and low prices, you will find no better value than buying a used console and some used games.

Part of the problem for me is figuring out which games play well with Win XP and which do not.

Fallout runs under Win XP with no issues, but Fallout 2, which I prefer, refuses to work for me. I’ve tried all the fixes posted around the web - including installing the files manually - and still no joy. I have no idea why this is; they’re basically the same engine.

My votes for classics that stand the test of time (and are still very playable under Win XP) are:

Myth & Myth II
Thief: The Dark Project
Thief II: The Metal Age

I guess Thief is my favourite series of all time. The community is still vibrant and productive; there continue to be very high quality fan missions released fairly regularly. I still get in perhaps 25-30 hours of gaming a week in the Thief universe.

Seconded, and Thirded, Fourtheth and Fifteth.

I still pick up Deus Ex every few years, it’s soooo big and soooo deep. The story may be a bit hackneyed, but that’s par for the course in games.

Also, a second on Giants. The gameplay is interesting, and the cutscenes are still the best thing to ever happen in a game.

I’m still a Wizardry guy, but RPGs seem to fall into major genre that certain people like and certain people can’t stand. I, for one, can’t play any D&D isometric game, they just bore the absolute shit out of me, including Planescape.

Oh, and did anyone mention Diablo II? It’s been out for about 40 years, and still sells for 20$ retail, if that tells you anything.

H.

Thank you for the Star Control 2 advice ! I never played it when it was released, and I’m really impressed. It’s both funny and mysterious, the scenario seems really clever… How come nobody makes such titles anymore ?

Those of us who like those sort of games are not in the target-group for
most game companies. They make flashy games with little substance for the
ADHD generation.

Google “define:adhd”, and you’ll see it perfectly describes kids today ;)

I’ve scoured the thread twice, and I can’t find anyone mentioning Arcanum
this time around (this sort of thread is a weekly occurence ;)! I know some
people hated Arcanum, but if you can find it, it’s in bargain bins dirt cheap.