Clay Aiken sued for being gay

Nine Clay Aiken fans are contemplating a class action lawsuit against Clay Aiken and his management in the wake of persistent tabloid rumors that he enjoyed a “gay romp” with a former soldier.

They want their money back from albums, merchandise and concerts, claiming that they had been duped by a false image of a hetero Clay.

“Contemplating”?

I’ll be asleep in the corner.

On second thought, this reminds me of suing McDonald’s for spilling hot coffee on you and forcing you to eat fried foods with every meal. Dumbasses. Who here is surprised to hear that Aiken might be gay?

The suit against McDonald’s for too hot coffee was completely legitimate.

Indeed, the coffee was too hot.

I’m considering filing a class action lawsuit against this thread’s misleading title.

I’ll be damned!

http://www.centerjd.org/free/mythbusters-free/MB_mcdonalds.htm

According to Stella Liebeck’s attorney, S. Reed Morgan, the jury heard the following evidence in the case:

1. By corporate specifications, McDonald’s sells its coffee at 180 to 190 degrees Fahrenheit;
  1. Coffee at that temperature, if spilled, causes third-degree burns (the skin is burned away down to the muscle/fatty-tissue layer) in two to seven seconds;
  1. Third-degree burns do not heal without skin grafting, debridement and whirlpool treatments that cost tens of thousands of dollars and result in permanent disfigurement, extreme pain and disability of the victim for many months, and in some cases, years;
  1. The chairman of the department of mechanical engineering and bio-mechanical engineering at the University of Texas testified that this risk of harm is unacceptable, as did a widely recognized expert on burns, the editor in chief of the leading scholarly publication in the specialty, the Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation;
  1. McDonald’s admitted that it has known about the risk of serious burns from its scalding hot coffee for more than 10 years – the risk was brought to its attention through numerous other claims and suits, to no avail;
  1. From 1982 to 1992, McDonald’s coffee burned more than 700 people, many receiving severe burns to the genital area, perineum, inner thighs, and buttocks;
  1. Not only men and women, but also children and infants, have been burned by McDonald’s scalding hot coffee, in some instances due to inadvertent spillage by McDonald’s employees;
  1. At least one woman had coffee dropped in her lap through the service window, causing third-degree burns to her inner thighs and other sensitive areas, which resulted in disability for years;
  1. Witnesses for McDonald’s admitted in court that consumers are unaware of the extent of the risk of serious burns from spilled coffee served at McDonald’s required temperature;
  1. McDonald’s admitted that it did not warn customers of the nature and extent of this risk and could offer no explanation as to why it did not;
  1. McDonald’s witnesses testified that it did not intend to turn down the heat – As one witness put it: “No, there is no current plan to change the procedure that we’re using in that regard right now;”
  1. McDonald’s admitted that its coffee is “not fit for consumption” when sold because it causes severe scalds if spilled or drunk;
  1. Liebeck’s treating physician testified that her injury was one of the worst scald burns he had ever seen.

Morgan, The Recorder, September 30, 1994. Moreover, the Shriner’s Burn Institute in Cincinnati had published warnings to the franchise food industry that its members were unnecessarily causing serious scald burns by serving beverages above 130 degrees Fahrenheit.

People still care about this yard gnome?

Yeah, this old chestnut really bugs me. It’s one of the worst-reported cases in history. Taking the case as a whole, it’s totally reasonable. But no, the only thing you ever hear about it is “zomg she spilled coffee on herself and won millions!!!1!”

It’s very frustrating because it’s one of those anecdotal cases that gets trotted out whenever someone wants to “prove” that the tort system needs reform. If anything, I think it’s an example of a case that actually served the larger social purpose of a lawsuit in that it changed the behavior of the offender.

I wonder if the terrible reporting of the case actually has had the effect of causing MORE frivolous lawsuits, since it’s created this perception that you can sue for any stupid thing and get huge payouts. That’d kind of amuse me.

I still think it’s weird, but that’s because I drink tea, and I want it to be at 220 when the tea goes in. 180’s not such a big deal.

No kidding.

My cousin, when she was little, wanted to make coffee for her mom and my mom. She spilt the boiling kettle over herself and received serious burns to her left shoulder and upper arm (she was only about a head taller than the stove at the time), but nothing that required skin grafts. We didn’t even get to her for quite a while b/c she was all the way across the flat.

I’m sorry, but coffee is supposed to be hot. Complaining that you injured yourself with hot coffee is like complaining that you injured yourself with a knife! The knife company obviously knew for at least 10 years that knives can hurt people, but did nothing about it during that time!

That stupid grandmother even wanted the coffee lid OFF.

It’s a bullshit lawsuit. So what if the injuries are serious? It’s hot coffee! Without a lid! Through a drive-through! And she’s DRIVING away with it in her hand as she spills it. How much more proof does anyone need that this is self-inflicted injury?

Amongst the many, many reasons why you’re wrong, there’s this: the lady in question was a passenger.

None at all, and indeed the jury found that the woman was 50% at fault, reducing whatever payment she would receive by half.

That doesn’t mean the person serving the coffee doesn’t have any responsibility.

Edit: Actually, looks like the jury found her 20% at fault. My bad.

Yes it does!

Jesus, is the person selling you the sharp knife responsible for it when you run around with it and trip, gutting yourself? So why would the person selling you the coffee be responsible when you ask for it without a lid and then drive off? COFFEE IS HOT! Breaking news!

Who the fuck drives with a scalding hot cup of coffee, without a lid? And nobody’s gonna tell me that the grandma didn’t know the coffee was hot - because that’s how coffee is served. At the time of this idiotic lawsuit, they tested temperatures of McDonald’s and other chains and found that while McD’s was at the upper end of the scale, the range was only 10 degrees.

Sorry, not buying it. I don’t expect coffee just shy of boiling temperature when I buy it. I would expect burns if I spelled freshly bought coffee on myself, but third degree burns capable of crippling a person for life? Unreasonable.

Coffee is not third degree burn hot, however. It’s completely unsuitable for the purpose for which it was sold at that temperature. Do most people drink coffee so hot that it destroys their tongue? As it turns out, no.

Who the fuck drives with a scalding hot cup of coffee, without a lid? And nobody’s gonna tell me that the grandma didn’t know the coffee was hot - because that’s how coffee is served. At the time of this idiotic lawsuit, they tested temperatures of McDonald’s and other chains and found that while McD’s was at the upper end of the scale, the range was only 10 degrees.

So because all the restaurants were being stupid, it’s okay for McDonald’s to do so?

Quick liability question: If you come into my bar and ask me to pour you a glass of draino instead of whisky, am I within my rights to do so? After all, it’s fucking draino. Obviously you knew the risks when you asked for it!

Again, she wasn’t driving, and in fact the car was parked when the spill occurred.

I brave the hazards of boiling water daily, but that just me, I have to live on the edge. The thrill and adrenaline kick of boiling an egg can’t be compared to anything else, except perhaps the rush of pouring water from the water boiler over the ground coffe beans, seeing that lethal liquid steam and hiss, knowing that the slightest mistake can cost me my rugged good looks, even my life.

I’m off to dip my hand into the fondue, if it’s more than lukewarm, I’ll sue.

Are you serving it at 190 degrees? Cause I want the draino to sear my throat from alkaline salts, not heat.

Sueing Clay Aiken for being gay is like sueing the sky because its blue.

1. She was a passenger.
  2. The car was parked.
  3. THIRD FUCKING DEGREE BURNS YOU ASSHATS! There is now way in the universe that serving a nice, steaming cup of POTENTIAL THIRD DEGREE BURNS is at all reasonable.

All she wanted was her medical bills to be paid, and McDonalds decided to play hardball with her. The jury rewarded her to punish the company, not because she asked for millions.

Angie who the fuck drinks a cup of coffee with out the lid on while in the car?!?!
Hmmmm?