Cleaning electrostatic furnace filters when it is cold

These things are an incredible pain in the ass. I only remember to clean them when the furnace is going 24/7, so when it is cold, and that’s exactly when I don’t want to disable the furnace. I think I’ve cleaned them a whole half dozen times in the ten years I have had my house (which is slightly less than recommended).

Do people generally buy spares so that they can swap them easily?

I just turn off the electrostatic part, pull them out and wash them, and let the furnace run as normal for the couple of days they take to dry. Is this actually bad?

It actually never occurred to me to run it without the filter. It shouldn’t hurt anything at least AFAIK.

Geeze. Do I feel like a goof.

We actually had a furnace guy come in and tell us that an electrostatic filter was pretty much the worst way to go (ours was broken, and we wanted a quote to fix or replace).He sold us a $20 washable filter that grabs 99% of the cruft you’d collect with the electrostatic, without any of the hassles or ozoney smell. He said they don’t even bother installing them I new furnaces anymore… For what that’s worth. We’re on our 2nd heating season without it and I’ll be dammed if I can tell the difference.

Best or worst thread title of 2011? I can’t decide.

Well, at least it’s not (that are interesting).