Clerks 2

I like Clerks too, but I’ve avoided rewatching it just in case.

So, I guess that makes Jay and Silent Bob lame now.

Sniff

I’m still a sucker for Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, though.

My only real beef with Smith is that he casts horrible female actors and gives them bad direction. None of the women in any of his movies are any good, save for the blond who’s tits you see in Mallrats. She was good in Amy too.

Wow. I just love retroactively changing my opinion to be hip! You know what else? Fuck Star Wars, the Matrix, the first two Godfathers, all of Lord of the Rings (boy those eight endings SUCKED!) and just about any movie ever made. Come on, what’s the point in liking something? I’ll just hate it later!

Wow. Lame.

You CANNOT diss a movie that has the line: “Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega.”

Hole in one.

Smith has not evolved as a movie maker. Basically his schtick is take the same kind of dialogue but stick it in a different movie. Like Tarantino. But less so.

Dogma was the turning point for me, I hated that film on first viewing. Haven’t seen a Smith film since. Clerks/Mallrats/Chasing Amy I thought all were decent enough in their own way.

You might have noticed that the poster for Clerks 2 has all the original cast members pushed off to the sides so that Rosario Dawson can stand front and center with that obnoxiously cliched party-girl pose. Admittedly, Kevin Smith might have had nothing to do with that, but there is no way on Earth that that’s a good sign.

But dude, she was in RENT! One of the top films of all time!

I agree with you, but even in the theater I was wishing for Return of the King to fucking end already.

Seconded, except I also disliked Chasing Amy. I thought Dogma was awful.

The only rewatchable parts in Clerks are Randal’s scenes. I’d probably enjoy a version of Clerks that centered on Randal instead of Dante.

Dogma was awful. Chasing Amy one of my top 20 all time. Clerks funny at times. Mallrats sucked.

I’d give his entire catalog 3 “Life Aquatics”.

I used to love Kevin Smith films 4 or 5 years back, my opinion of him began to take a nose dive after Dogma and never recovered, although i still find Clerks and Mallrats fun to watch.

I realised how much i now dislike him after trying to sit through that thing he did with Stan Lee where they both tell each other how great they are for 2 hours, talk about mutual masturbation session. His comic stuff was okay but i’d no longer pick up a comic just because he’s writing it.

Clerks 2 was going to be his next movie post Dogma but he said he shelved it because he didn’t think the story had anywhere to go (or something, my memories a bit hazy as to why it got shit canned), and also said he wasn’t returning to the same universe of characters after Jay and Silent Bob, as such this movie seems to smack a little too much of desperation/cash-in for me to have too much hope for it.

What wasn’t greatness in Mallrats?

Everything, IMO. I love Clerks and Dogma, and Chasing Amy’s pretty good. I can’t stand Mallrats or Jay and Silent Bob, and never saw Jersey Girl. The Clerks 2 trailer is giving me bad vibes. We’ll see.

The horrible special effects with whatsisname flying down with the sword at the end of Dogma hurt that movie far more than any script problems.

Chasing Amy was pure awesome silliness. I love Mallrats and Clerks, for the same reasons. And J&SBSB had me rolling with laughter when I saw it; it was the right movie at the right time for me.

That was pretty funny.

Damn it.

He made the movie as a favor/gift to Jason Mewes for finally getting cleaned up.

Really? That’s cool.

And yet, Mews is nodding the fuck off during the commentary of J&SBSB. He’s high, I believe.