Clinton Email Controversy

I know this is The Worst analogy Ever but.

“I call a vote for a vote of No Confidence in Chancellor Valorum’s leadership.”

I’m so, so sorry.

But this is what this is. Let’s nail someone to the post for what amounts to procedural crimes while the real thieves are starting wars and rabble rousing the crowds.

As did Colin Powell and Condi Rice’s team - are you now ready to prosecute them too?

State Department officials have determined that classified information was sent to the personal email accounts of former Secretary of State Colin Powell and the senior staff of former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, NBC News has learned.

I think that’d be a great START to the prosecution that should but brought to bear on that particular administration :-)

Guys at work yesterday (admitted routine Fox News viewers, the bennies of working on a military base) didn’t know the GWB WH was using RNC email, and when that went public the email system ‘crashed’ with no backups and millions upon millions of emails were oh-so-conveniently lost.

This bubble of engineered ignorance goes a long ways to explain why the GOP reacts with such outrage over Democratic ‘scandals’. So many of them are completely unaware of home team’s transgressions (another co-worker doesn’t know who Jack Abramoff is).

This article seems to draw a fairly significant difference between their actions and Clintons. Which isn’t too say that any given action is OK friending on who did it. If they broke the law, then they should be held accountable. But that article doesn’t really seem to make such a suggestion.

Supposed classified put on non-govt email systems is pretty much identical. You can quibble that Hillary owned her own server, but that’s just icing and not actual substance. In the end, whether she leased the box or owned it is IMO rather irrelevent once you cross the line of using non-govt email systems.

But didn’t Hillary end up having stuff which was actually marked as classified? I honestly forget about the email itself for her, as to me the biggest problem was telling other people to remove the classified header from documents.

Not according to Hillary…“as far as she knew”. :)

But I thought there was a change in policy at some point that eliminated anyone’s use of private e-mail for their work and that part of Hillary’s woes come from continuing after that edict?

That reg was issued after Hillary was no longer SoS is my understanding.

My security officer at work yesterday told me, rather depressingly, that the SoS is a classification originator, and as such can classify and declassify. He’s a Republican and said it rather bitterly in the context that he doesn’t think she’s going to be nailed for the situation.

Edit: And to make myself clear, I think it’s unfortunate this is a partisan issue because there needs to be harsh consequences for continued abuse of email like this. I have to wonder whether or not it’s so endemic no one wants to really come down on the issue because so many are guilty of it.

My security officer at work yesterday told me, rather depressingly, that the SoS is a classification originator, and as such can classify and declassify.

No, this isn’t quite true.

She definitely can classify information, and she can declassify information which as originally classified by the state department, but she can NOT declassify data which was originally classified by other organizations. And some of this stuff was apparently originally classified by other organizations besides the state department.

Keeping in mind that the FBI is up-classifying stuff during this investigation of her server and activities, do we know she mishandled classified that originated from other agencies?

And even if she did, improper handling of classified isn’t as uncommon as you might think. Especially when malicious intent was not at play. The worst angle if this turns out to be true is that she’s not to be trusted, she makes poor decisions, etc. In other words, it’s really all political and we’ve never seen a former SoS gone after like this because they didn’t subsequently run for president.

I’m not excusing her behavior, but this story is blown way out of proportions. And is there a statute of limitations on such behavior? Because, and I’m serious, if we want to open this door then let’s blow it wide open and let the chips fall where they may. And I write that as someone who almost shares Chris Hitchens’ dislike for the Clintons.

Keeping in mind that the FBI is up-classifying stuff during this investigation of her server and activities, do we know she mishandled classified that originated from other agencies?

Yes, I believe one of the previous links pointed to data which has been classified by the intelligence community. I think those highly classified documents which they releasing publicly, even in redacted form, fit into that category.

And even if she did, improper handling of classified isn’t as uncommon as you might think. Especially when malicious intent was not at play. The worst angle if this turns out to be true is that she’s not to be trusted, she makes poor decisions, etc. In other words, it’s really all political and we’ve never seen a former SoS gone after like this because they didn’t subsequently run for president.

I would agree with much of this. For most things, if they are things sent to her, then ultimately the fault lies with the person who sent them to her. Some fault lies with her as well, but the original source who sent classified data to a non classified system is generally the major problem.

The exception here though is that one email where she told someone else to remove the classified header on something. That’s totally not cool, as it indicates an intentional act to deliberately mishandle classified data. That’s the biggest problem for me.

You work for the air force, right? So you’ve likely had to deal with this stuff, and you know as well as I that you would be in jail if you told a subordinate to do that.

All that true, it’s still a felony.

I’m going to guess that the degree to which this is a big deal depends greatly upon how inclined one is or isn’t to potentially vote for Mrs. Clinton in a primary or national election.

Gosh. Do you think the FBI knows?

Eh, I think it’s kind of a big deal, but at the same time I’d vote for her over either Trump or Cruz.

I’ll vote for her over those guys even after she’s indicted.

Gosh. Do you think the FBI knows?

The FBI doesn’t indict people though, the DOJ does.

Why else would they be leaking this story like crazy?

This is right, but it also doesn’t matter. Clinton signed an NDA explicitly referencing “marked and unmarked classified information” and the proper methods of handling.

I don’t know. The FBI is usually pretty leak proof.

The FBI is part of the DOJ, but thanks, I’m aware of how the system works.