Clip on lenses, are they any good?

I want to take pictures of the miniatures I’m painting and my motoG6 camera is not the best for this purpose (it’s not the best for any purpose), it just goes out of focus when getting to close to the object.

I can’t justify to myself buying a camera for this, or even a new phone with a better camera. Did anyone here have any experience with clip on lenses. I saw some for not too much on Amazon. Than again, I guess if they don’t cost too much they’re shit?

I can’t give you any references, but I follow a few pro photographers on Twitter who use iPhones as back up cameras. They have said never use these (clip-on lenses, not this brand in particular), they are worthless. That said, I have listened to podcasts where people say there are fine if you aren’t looking for a masterpiece.

I bought a set years ago and never used it. Too much of a hassle. You have to bring it with you constantly, and yet you never use it. Plus, if you use a case, gotta take your phone out of the case to make the clip fit. And the image quality… Not so great. There’s a reason Apple and the others have been sinking so much into multiple lenses and camera software to reproduce or imitate a lot of the effects those lenses supposedly offer.