Clockwork Empires (from Gaslamp Games)

Sounds awesome. I’m kind of hoping for a more serious tone than Dredmor however.

That seems highly unlikely. The tail end of the PC Gamer article:

There’s a heap more to share, more than I can carve into a single article. I haven’t touched on Clockwork’s volatile inversion of Civ-style Wonders: “inherently dangerous” Megaprojects. I haven’t talked about how booze and opium products can help fend off madness in your citizens. I haven’t mentioned the significance of volcanoes as power sources, meddling rich people, badger attacks, or aetheric ray guns.

Personally, I have no problem with this. There’s plenty of “serious games”, most of which I won’t spend my money on. This, I will.

@Blips
Yeah, we’re aiming for a more consistent and somewhat serious tone. Don’t expect to see ‘tons of wacky references’ … unless you’re a big fan of 19th century pseudoscience and Jules Verne, H. G. Wells, & so forth.

Edit: I should clarify what I mean by “somewhat serious” – it’s somewhat serious /compared to Dredmor/. We’re actually still working out the details of tone in the writing and I’m sure it’ll be changing up 'til release.

@Tyjenks
Thanks! As for alphas and such, well, we’re a while out yet but we had a good experience doing it like that for Dredmor so we’ll probably do it again.

@RepoMan
Haha - thanks?
We’re not doing a Kickstarter because we don’t actually need it. … Yet? Naw, should be fine. Dredmor did good for us.

@Shadari
Thanks! As said, those shots are renders of art assets rather than screenshots, but the screenshots will look lovely when they’re something to look at, of course.
Nicholas (our ‘Technical Director’) is actually, secretly, primarily a 3d graphics coder and has been terribly repressed throughout the development of Dredmor.

OMG this game is being made just for me! Sorry if already posted, but I didn’t see it - any ETA on when this comes out?

I saw floating around “second half 2013 with a heavy emphasis on ‘when it’s done’”. As I stated elsewhere, in translating development speak, I am going with 1st quarter 2014. ;)

Ha! But I am a big fan of 19th century pseudoscience, Verne, and Wells. So I shall be expecting plenty of wacky references. And I’m with ineffablebob, I want crazy.

Sign me up for alpha alpha testing!

Citybuilders tend to bounce off me, at least since the first couple of SimCity games and of course LucasArts’ wonderful Afterlife (which I never, ever got a positive income going in). But this is one of the best concepts for one I’ve heard and despite my complaints I do love Dredmor, so I will undoubtedly take a whack at it.

Holy crap, this sounds like a China Mieville novel simulator.

From the article:

“If you’ve got a whole bunch of people researching in a building and you just sort of leave them to it and you don’t keep tabs on them, there’s a high probability that they can start doing evil things and summoning demons or something,” says Jacobsen.

With that kind of idea, color me excited.

The thing that comes to mind is with the detailed and thought out yet barely constrained chaos Dredmor was, the feature list they are showing only leads me to believe that this title promises to be glorious in the same vein.

China Mieville is indeed my favourite author. I do what I can.

Please baby jesus let there be a Mac version.

This game is firmly in the intersection of the Venn Diagram of my gaming wants. Now I have to go buy and play Dungeons of Dredmor to support this project (and because I hear it is very cool in its own right).

I keep waiting for Settlers 7 to go on sale, and then never bite when it finally does (other games come up, or I miss the sale). I don’t think I need to bother anymore, I have something else to look forward to!

You had me at city-builder.

So excited for this!

Cog save the Queen!

I think i’m in :)

Everyone should do this. Unless you already did.

One of the previews mentioned that if you don’t keep a close eye on your ‘researchers’ they have a tendency to start summoning demons and fooling around with Things Men Were Not Meant To Know. So…yeah, it’s totally a Chine Mieville novel simulator.

New interview: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/28/interview-gaslamp-games-mad-incredible-vision-for-clockwork-empires/