Closer

I couldn’t find a prior thread on this, other than some rants about it in the oscars thread – so, opinions?

I thought it was good but pointless. My guess is that Nichols was trying to make a statement about how shitty love can be, and how it can make you do things that you hate and be things you despise even when you have the best of intentions. To which I say: no shit?

The only really interesting observation I found was Alice’s when she comments that you a choice to fall in love, that right before you do you can give in or you can step back. That goes against the common rationale of “I can’t help how I feel!”.

I’d always thought that Julia Roberts was only an average actress, but for some reason I thought she did a great job here. Between this and Mona Lisa Smile she shows an understated ability to convey feeling and emotion and thought. She may have done that before but, to be honest, I don’t think I’ve seen any of her movies prior to this except Pretty Woman. I don’t even think I saw Flatliners. But I digress.

I was thinking of seeing. Surprised to see no discussion. I thought the Ebert review was interesting

There’s a recent movie that’s very reminiscent of Closer. Last Night (it’s on Netflix instant). It you’re a Keira Knightley fan, it’s definite watching. Probably her most intimate role, and she’s gorgeous in it.

Holy shit, thread necro from hell, and I’m like “Wait, I posted a thread about that show with Kyra Sedgwick?” Then I read my post…and I don’t remember posting that or ever watching that movie. I looked at the synopsis and STILL don’t remember it. And I looked at some screencaps and vaguely remember Natalie Portman as a stripper (because, well, that’s memorable).

But otherwise…zero recollection of any of this.

You know what a heart looks like? Like a fist wrapped in blood!

It’s minor Nichols.

This movie is horrible, the end.

this movie is awesome, the end.