Cloud game streaming has always had problems. Maybe Google can fix them?

I hope you’re right, but I think you’re being profoundly naive about just how motivated the games industry is to assert total control over anything and everything they can.

As to the technical limitations, well, that may yet be our saving grace. My concern is not with the laws of physics, it’s with just how willing people are to put up with a shitty product in the name of convenience.

Substitute “several decades” for “right now” and “very slight chance” for “typified by virtually every move major corporations have made in this and other related industries in the last 15 years or more” and you’d be a lot closer.

Yes, there are some possibly beneficial uses of the technology. At best, they would offer some nice to haves. The likely downsides are core.

Also, get off our lawns.

Having control over your own media is so last century, grandpa. Next you’ll start claiming you have a right to privacy!

I thought people would say the biggest problem would be the inevitable input lag, and instead Qt3 has it’s knickers in a twist over DRM. Why am I surprised?

Plenty of people have brought that up, and it certainly is the make-or-break element of the technology. There are plenty of games, though, where 100-200ms in latency would not be a big deal.

I didn’t pay a couple thousand dollars on new hardware to have my games limited by some streaming service. Also DRM. Also, I buy my music tracks. Also I put things on PLEX so I don’t stream. Also, internet Caps. And if streaming was really that worthwhile it seems like we wouldn’t keep getting these here’s a console with 20 really old games on it for sale that fly off the shelves when all those games seem like they’d be really ripe for streaming… if that was a service anyone really, really wanted.

I locally cache all of Google Maps because I don’t trust the man!

Hoo boy, yes please! Make so I can do limited time rentals, and never have to do another 60GB download and I am so on board.

It’s coming.