Clue (1985)

YES! My wife has never seen this, leading to a viewing tonight! Singing telegrams and flames on the side of the face!

Make sure she doesn’t get all pale and tragic.

Ah, to be able to see this gem with fresh eyes. So. Damn. Good.

This is so random. I just watched this with my kids this week, after playing the board game with them for the first time. We all loved it. I last saw it in the theatre, and I’m pretty sure it only had one of the three endings that the streaming one on Prime showed. So that was cool. Or am I misremembering?

You’ve got it right; it was a gimmick to try and get people to go see it at more theaters that I think more or less failed.

This is genuinely my favorite comedy and easily in my top five movies overall. And easily Tim Curry’s best role!

I had to stop her screaming.

“WILL YOU PLEASE STOP THAT?!!!”
“No.”

1+2+1+1 is a standing joke in my family when something math related comes up.

Flames! From the side of my face.

My favorite bit in the entire movie.

How is that possible? I thought everyone’s favourite was universally, “I am … a singing telegram!” “BANG!”

Poor Jane Wiedlin.

My wife and I just watched this for the first time a couple months ago. Fun was had by all.

I’ve never seen it, what ages is this appropriate for?

Hmmm…there’s no nudity or really foul language, from what I remember. Honestly, your kids will probably be bored if they don’t enjoy slapstick comedy.

Growing up, I was a big fan of Yvette the maid.

My 7 and 10 year olds loved it. I think a bunch of the sexual innuendo went over their heads, but they howled with laughter every time Tim Curry did his thing.

There’s bosoms and innuendo but no sex, and plenty of murder but no gore, and bad '50s through '80s treatment of, say, women but not four-letter words.

To quote Michael McKean in a really good retrospective article:

“I have a theory,” he says. “It’s a movie that is about adult stuff, but you don’t need a lot of hands-on experience to know what they’re talking about. It’s about murder and sex and blackmail, but you don’t really get your hands dirty because it’s so silly. It’s almost like the characters in it were based on characters in a game. Oh, wait a minute!”

Your kids will like it way more than the D&D movie.

I think you mean “Neauyoooowugh” to help transcribe the subtle but distinctively British lip curl/nostril flare quasi-sneer.

My wife shouted “Neauyoooowugh” as I was reading her this thread! Her fave movie second only to Blues Brothers.