Cobra Kai on Y̶o̶u̶T̶u̶b̶e̶ ̶R̶e̶d̶ Netflix

JFC watch it right now, shame on you! In my opinion, this movie holds up completely today. Come at me if you disagree, because I will crane kick your damn face off.

I might literally watch it tonight.

I get Youtube Red for free alongside my Play Music, so it’d be nice if I got something out of it for once in the form of this series, but I’d like to go in prepared to enjoy it properly.

There’s a great scene in Cobra Kai where Johnny takes his protégé through the events of The Karate Kid from his perspective.

One thing I have to say, is that the characters in this show end up being far more complex than in most shows or movies, as there are no clear “good” or “bad” guys. Just a bunch of folks who are flawed.

I watched the last episode, and I honestly didn’t even know who I was supposed to be rooting for. Not because they were all bad either.

Spoilers about the arc of the show.

Well it shows you how a bunch of kids and a generally well-meaning teacher can become what Cobra Kai was in the first movie. Hawk in particular became a real piece of shit. You sympathize with the characters because you’re following their journey.

Kreese is a sociopath and Johnny isn’t, but maybe you grow into that.

The third Karate Kid movie suggested that Kreese probably saw some shit while fighting in Vietnam.

We are loving this halfway through. It’s all the small little moments delivered perfectly.

“CobraKaineverdies!”

If do right, no can defense

I am flabbergasted-- FLABBERGASTED, I TELL YOU-- that this show turned out good. That’s bananaboats.

Still not sure I’m gonna watch it, but, just to reiterate… flabbergasted.

Someone on Collider put it best: If this were on Netflix, it would be blowing up the entertainment media world and William Zabka would be getting awards talk. Incredibly well-made, it was amazingly good dramedy TV through the final episode, although I differed on some of the story choices, it was worth subbing to YouTube Red. This should put them on the stream map in a big way.

I know, right? It’s hard to wrap your mind around a world where a Karate Kid TV show on YouTube is actually good. It’s a sea-change, like the 2016 elections. Like, wait, what just happened?

Season Two is green lighted:

Oh my gosh, the “No mercy, bitch!” scene was incredible. I can’t say more without giving it away but 🤣

Finished season 1. Just incredibly well excecuted. Solid fan service, yes, while also telling its own unique, timely chapter of the story.

So out general curiosity, which are those streaming sites that have the show without having to ahem, pay anything?

I don’t know that we want to get into a specific HOWTO pirate in these forums. But you can sign up for a YouTube Red trial and get it for free for a month.

Jon and Hayden who wrote and directed this are my high school classmates. Jon was the class president. It’s been really cool to see all the behind the scenes stuff that they have been sharing on FB. If anyone was going to get this right it would be them. They are classic 80’s kids who didn’t want to do anything to screw this up. It actually ended up being even better than I expected it would be. Can’t wait for season 2.

And Hawk is my fav. character.

I just discovered this, even though I don’t know what youtube red is, but just seems to be free on youtube (maybe the sub service is not available in Canada).

Only an episode and a half in, but I couldn’t love this more.

Do you sub to Google Play Music? It includes Youtube Red (and vice versa)

I have no music subscriptions.