CoD: Warzone

What hardware are you running on? I’ve played on PC a bunch and never had any of these issues.

PC, although a bunch of people who had the issue were on PS4. Hilarious the hoops they jumped through to try and fix it, too, including one guy who claims to have changed the thermal paste on some component of his PS4.

I was not aware this game was such a space hog.

It’s always been massive but it seems like this latest patch increased it by like a third. I guess it was basically all “new content”? I don’t understand what’s even in all those gigs.

Beard physics for the new operator.

It’s a very impressive beard, but alas I have seen no evidence that it has physics. I’d give up another 50GB to make it so.

Good playing with you @DaveLong - that was fun!

At the end the game booted me out of the party mid-sentence and then almost immediately crashed, so it was the full authentic Warzone experience too.

Lol! I was wondering! I had a great time! I will definitely get you in with the larger group in the future. Trios and Quads just have a whole different dynamic.

That was good times!

Look what happens when you don’t download the beard patch.

Last chance for people to play Zombie Royale this weekend, and if you haven’t, you definitely should give it a try. It’s super fast paced when you get to the final circles and a superb take on the BR genre.

Zombie Royale is crazy well done. Definitely worth playing at least a few rounds.

Wait, there’s zombies now?

-Tom

It turns out that the zombie was inside you all along.

Yup. Zombie Royale has been running for almost two weeks now. It’s chaotic crazy fun.

Sadly, this is still published by Activision, a company that considers human rights a “divisive” issue. I won’t be playing any Activision games, even when they add zombies.

-Tom

Resurgence on Rebirth Island is a blast. I’ve got 9 wins now and this was the latest. I’d been close to double digits a few times but blew through the threshold yesterday afternoon in this gem.

2019 US Open champion Bianca Andreescu played and plays CoD. Swoon!

So I must have fallen on the ice and hit my head recently. I tend to dislike Battle Royale games but thought I would give Warzone another try and see how it developed.

What I discovered is a miserable online setup process. After installing Warzone in the Battle.net client I started the game and noticed that it then had to download shaders in 3 or 4 parts. That seemed to take forever and stalled out several times. After I finally got the shaders downloaded I then watched as the game got stuck on ‘Connecting to Online Services’ for eternity. I Googled this and found out it is a common problem to the point where several websites have setup guides to try and fix the issues. After trying several steps and after a dozen minutes I finally had the game progress to the next step of setting up an Activision account to link to your Blizzard account. This itself hung several times, black screened, and required restarting the game and my PC like 3 or 4 times and eventually circumventing the process by going directly to Activision’s account setup in a browser.

I finally completed the Activision account process then Warzone got stuck on the ‘Connecting to Online Services’ screen in perpetuity. This required consulting published guides which recommended restarting your PC, restarting your router, making sure you are on a hardwired Ethernet connection, going into Window’s network settings to adjust the DNS configuration…

I worked through all of those steps and finally had the Warzone client connect to the servers. I got it to work before the port forwarding step. WTF Activision, this isn’t 2004 anymore!

I’m not sure why I stuck through all of that. One point in Acti-Blizzard’s favor is that they didn’t force me to download the full ~300+ GBs of Modern Warfare and let me just download the 80 GBs of Warzone in isolation.

I probably should have just re-downloaded PUBG since I know that won’t be a miserable experience that nearly requires port forwarding. So Warzone is kind of an aggressively bad experience if you are new or returning to it after over a year.

It’s mostly the PC version that has those issues, and with different developers on all the versions, it’s kind of not a surprise that one of them would have more problems than others. There are a lot of company logos in there.

I think it’s totally worth the effort though. This game is just so perfectly designed and right now the meta is in a really good place. Lots of guns are viable, and playstyles can be adjusted accordingly to whatever loadouts you want to run.

Big patch and new season is coming next week so that could change in about five days, but let’s hope not.

Oh… and PUBG is SUPER JANKY by comparison. Like, it’s got the market cornered on Jank with a capital J. Warzone is light years ahead of it.

After the annoying setup process I did get a chance to jump in two Solo games. I didn’t survive that long, but the killcams did highlight where I was a little sloppy or rushing and gave me a sense of how to improve.

One really cool feature was the ‘Gulag’ which spawns you in a prison and queues you up for a 1 on 1 fight after you die in the main Warzone map. I lost my first Gulag fight, but won the second one and discovered that winning a Gulag match re-spawns you back into the Warzone match I just died in and gave me a second chance! That does mean you start out way behind everyone else since you are parachuting down into a match that has already been live for a 10-15 minutes so everyone already has their gear/loot. I was shot at as soon as I landed, but thankfully I landed on a roof and was able to duck around a corner and survive for a bit by hiding in and looting a large building.

I tend not to like Battle Royales since I feel they can be a poor use of time. There is a lot of waiting and queueing for a server, then the pre-match, then the plane ride to possibly get killed within the first minute of a match. So I tend to mostly avoid Battle Royales but occasionally dip in. The Gulag feature kind of eases the sting (and wasted time) of dying in a BR match by giving you a second chance. Major props to the designer that dreamed that up.