Cogmind - An Amazing Sci-fi Roboroguelike

So I brought this up in the roguelike thread too, but seriously folks, Cogmind might be one of the best roguelikes I’ve ever played, bar-none, so I thought it deserved its own thread. :) It’s a sci-fi roguelike in which you’re a robot trying to escape the facility you’re trapped in, and you survive by scrounging parts to surround your “core” with in order to provide power, utility and offensive capability. These parts are gathered by both finding them and taking them off other robots which you’ve slain. It’s also got pretty amazing graphics.

It really is a joy to play, as it has so much depth and the level generation is really fascinating. I am just absolutely loving this, so much so that it might be the last non-space game I buy for a while. It’s just that good, so I had to share it with y’all.

I saw this in the other thread and immediately purchased it based solely on your enthusiasm Brian.

Okay so I’d seen it a while back and was intrigued so it was on the radar, and I say immediately - but 30 of your US dollars for an indie ASCII rogue-like gave me pause. Steep! But whatever, the guy’s gotta eat I guess.

Glad to hear it’s turning out well and hopefully it gets finished as it’s apparently 75% done. Unfortunately it’s in the backlog for an indeterminate period due to The Witcher 3 so I can’t gush about it yet… but it looks ace. :)

Bought it based off your hype Brian, enjoying it a lot so far.

I really love how intricate the system is with the parts. So many tradeoffs including physically blocking your core.

Yaaaaaaaaaay! So glad my enthusiasm is infectious. ;)

Any more specifics? What is it you love about it so much?

I love the setting, the interface, the moment to moment changes in the game based on the parts you’ve found, the fantastic levels that get generated, the graphics (both tiles and ASCII), the explosions, the weapons and so on. I made a video of a play through that’ll go up tomorrow. It’s just so great.

Eh, it’s priced a bit out of my reach at the moment. And I see Approaching Infinity is $30 in the Shrapnel sale. LOLWUT!!

Sigh, the pricing of AI really makes me sad. It’s really good, but most folks will never try it, and rightly so.

AI has a demo though, so folks can try it.

Anybody want to split the $60 tier for 3 keys?

Man…Launchers Wreck things, however they seem to leave very little left for salvage. :)

I think what I love the most about this game is you pick up something - like a hacking probe - and you don’t know really what it’s going to do. It takes a lot of experimenting to figure things out. It’s also becoming apparent to me that as you go further into the game your build matters more and more. At the beginning you can pretty much throw anything on and get by. As you go down floors things like heat and energy consumption really start to matter.

Does anyone know what the different exits are? Do they all lead to the next floor or are they alternate paths? It’s hard to tell because once you go down you can’t go back. I’ve noticed there are different color stairs so I assume they are not the same.

I’ll do. $30 is a little bit too much for me now, but $20 I can talk myself into…

Wow, that game looks incredible. I am amazed at how creative some folks can be with ASCII like that. Impressive.

Any takers for the last one?

Kilo, I’ve not figured out exits yet, but apparently they don’t always go up, but can go sideways and such. You’ll know they go up when you can evolve and add more slots, apparently.

Sideways? Weird! Ok neat.

The best feeling in this game - BLOWING THE DAMN SCAVENGER AWAY JUST BEFORE IT SCOOPS UP THAT SWEET PURPLE WEAPON. God I hate those guys.

Fucking scavengers.

Wauv… so not only do they change the currency to EURO when ordering, but they add taxes as well? That means, I get to pay 35,31 EUROES for this? (Thats 39 dollars)

Here’s a little video I made of the game in action y’all. :)

Read Chappers message!