Cogmind - An Amazing Sci-fi Roboroguelike

Thanks, but no PayPal her :-)

I just bought the 3 keys. PM me if you want one for $20

Seen a bunch of stuff about this game, but a new roguelike doesn’t excite me in 2015 the way it might have 5 or 10 years ago, but the animated gifs in this thread might have been enough to put me over the edge. So cool!

This shit is hot, yo. It is impossible to say at this point if it is any good or not, because the majority of my enjoyment of rougelikes comes from figuring out how they work, but damn if it doesn’t make an impression from the second you boot it up. Really impressive design work.

This actually looks excellent, super damn fun. I’m no buying it until the 1.0 launch (no time to play it early anyway) but I will keep an eye on this thread for sure.

I’m thinking the same thing. It looks very cool, but sounds like there will be lots more content added later. It’s a shame there’s no intention of bringing this to mobile, though.

From what I saw, something about then engine on which it’s based makes porting to other platforms difficult.

This definitely looks cool. Hopefully it will come to steam soon.

If anyone still interested in going in on a 3pk let me know.

Are there any other rogue-like games like this? I’m really in love with this game but I don’t want to burn out on it before it’s finished.

Depends on what part you like? Cogmind sounds pretty unique to me (I still haven’t played it, trying to figure out if I should wait for release or dive in). Having not played it, here’s some off the wall suggestions that sound like they have some similarities to it.

1. Brogue: A very classic roguelike that has really pretty looking ASCII art. You’ll get access to a random assortment of reusable items which is maybe a bit like the components in Cogmind. A central strategic element is what item you buff with your Scrolls of Enchantments. How you use them pretty much defines your playstyle. https://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/
  2. 868-Hack: A hacking roguelike that’s really minimalist (played on a 5 by 5 grid). It involves acquiring a bunch of programs on the fly, activating them using your limited resources to survive anti-hacking software and to steal money. http://store.steampowered.com/app/274700/
  3. Captain Forever Remix: This is a real-time arcade-y game where you build ships on the fly in the middle of combat out of the parts of enemy ships you destroy. Just hit early access. I haven’t played the remix, but the original was great and had a bit of a roguelike feel: http://store.steampowered.com/app/298560/?snr=1_5_1100__1100

I’ll tell you what you should consider, which might be considered a very similar vein as Cogmind:

Bionic Dues from Arcen Games!

Good fun title with similar elements that does not get enough love - robots, customisation, randomisation, roguelike elements and a strategic metagame overlay.

Short QT3 thread.

Ohhh, good one sharaleo, that’s a fun game. I’d also recommend DoomRL as well.

This definitely gets onto my watch list. I’m just a non-early access gamer these days.

This certainly doesn’t feel like an early access game, I’ll tell you that.

I liked Bionic Dues but the Arcen 7 decimal place upgrade system they use in all their games always prevents me from loving it. That’s a good choice though, I did get reminded of that game playing this. maybe I’ll go back to it and play some more.

It doesn’t feel like Early Access Brian and that’s why I’m having trouble stopping. :)

Couldn’t resist picking this up. One game down with no idea what I was doing (had fun though!), time to RTFM.

Enjoying the blog about the game too, interesting stuff.

Yeah, I hate it when devs continue to work on their games and provide constant unpaid updates for years after release! ;P

I know what you mean though - every time you fire up an Arcen or Soldak title, its an adventure in and of itself just catching up with what the developer has been up to!

Roguelikes are the original Endless Access games, but also the most appropriate for it. They usually start as complete experiences, then receive years of content updates and bug fixes.

So long as there is an ending and reasonable progression to get there, it’s probably safe to jump in.

Is it designed intelligently for keyboard-only controls?

Yes, seems to be. Also one of the things mentioned as a design consideration on the developer blog.