Coin 2.0

Does anyone here use a coin card? Do you like it? Is it worth it?
I love the idea of the one cc to carry around, but the paranoid techie in me is like oh it’s way to easy someone will hack shi*. Of course I guess they could probably hack all my cards if they wanted to but I feel like this would make it much easier.

Thoughts?

I had not heard of this. Great idea. I’d love to see some reviews of the implementation.

does it do chip and pin?

Q: Why does Coin 2.0 use NFC instead of “chip and pin” technology?
A: EMV over NFC, known as “Contactless EMV” is the future of EMV- compliant payments, and is also used by Apple Pay and Android Pay. Coin 2.0 will be able to make EMV-compliant payments with NFC that are even more secure and convenient than “chip and pin” transactions.

Seems like a neat idea.

Details, people!

Coin has been around for a little while, and recently announced a 2.0 version of their all-in-one card device that includes NFC. A great concept for someone who normally carries around a bunch of cards.

obstacle to adoption are merchants/cashiers who think that it looks it looks dodgy.

I have a coin card, my sister got me signed up for one before they came out.

It is totally worthless, because it’s not totally reliable. You can’t use it in things like ATM machines. It confuses servers at restaurants. Last I used it, it didn’t let you name the cards, so you had to know your cards based on the last 4 digits.

Since you can’t really know with certainty that it will work, it means you need to carry at least one other card as a backup. Which kind of makes it pointless.

I used it for a few weeks, and found it to be counterproductive once the novelty wore off.

The notion of putting NFC in it seems even more pointless. If you are at a place that accepts NFC, then you can just use your phone and you don’t need a card at all.