Colbert is just killing it these days on the Late Show

Watched that this morning, Excellent. I had no idea about his father and brothers.

Something has changed with the show in the past 6 months. They stopped doing most of their skits and now only do Meanwhile. The writing seems different than before.

Anyone know of any changes?

What other skits do you mean? The furry hat one and…?

I do know I can’t wait till he comes back from vacation so they can stop showing reruns and we can get some fresh monologues.

I do love watching Colbert these days. It’s very nice to see his show on CBS All Access during the free months, especially. I know that his monologue shows up on youtube the next day, but it’s particularly nice to have the whole show available without commercials.

I always thought Jon Lovitt was a Saturday Night Live guy from the 80s, and I’m very familiar with his work, but Colbert had a different John Lovett on his show last week, who has a couple of podcasts, and was a speechwriter for Obama. He was on the post-debate live show. Good stuff.

That’s Jon Lovitz.

Obama loved having speechwriters with names that would cause confusion.

Isn’t one of the cohosts of pod save America?

Yup, and host of his own Lovett or Leave It podcast.

Is that one any good?

Quite, if you have the intestinal fortitude and desire to immerse yourself in politics and experience more perpetual outrage than your regular routine already exposes you to… for entertainment. Me, not so much.

Jon Lovett is amazing. IMO he should seriously consider running for office.

No surprise, but Colbert will be around for another four years.

I’ve started tuning in for his monologues and desk pieces ever since the impeachment kicked into high gear. It’s cool to see how his style has evolved. Some of the high-energy crowd pandering at the start seems a little desperate to me (an attitude I learned from Letterman and Larry Sanders) but the way he does the monologue is pretty damn entertaining. He’s much more of an actor/performer than just joke-deliverer.

Oh absolutely on the performer part. The guy sings, dances, does impressions, makes faces and alters his voice, all that.

I love how he always has a new, long-winded, ultra-detailed introduction for the Meanwhile segment. So funny.

After a few more months if viewing nearly every show we are convinced there was some major revamping in either the writing team and/or the flow of the show.

Gone are nearly every skit from a year ago: Covenington House, Confessions, Big Hat, and more. In the past 3-4 months maybe 2 of his mini intros have been anything but cringe worthy.

They need more Kim Jong Un glorious leader and Putin intros. Thos were hilarious.

I’ve been catching up on the episodes that I missed in October. Yesterday I got to the episode where he talked about how Trump wanted to host the G7 at his Florida resort. There’s so much constantly going on about Trump every day, I’d actually forgotten about that particular outrage until I saw it again on the show. Watching a show from two weeks ago is like watching a time capsule.

I mostly watch the show for the monologue and Meanwhile… Very occasionally there will actually be a guest interview that interests me.

I hadn’t really noticed, but you’re right – those have mostly faded away.

I think I do sort of miss the Midnight Confessions. Big Hat was funny for the physical humor, but it was just too slow after a couple jokes. I can’t say I particularly miss the first-draft greeting card thing where they would pull some audience member up on stage.

The mini-intros are indeed generally cringe-worthy, but they are also only like 10 seconds long.

The latest episode of the Late Show is pretty hilarious, as Colbert is in an empty studio just riffing and killing time.