Cold girls, Soft drinks! Hot charity web site (NSFW)

What can anyone tell me about setting up a charity web site?

Not too long ago, I saw a site where an ordinary person who had gone into credit card debt, set up a web site, and just asked people for donations… and got them! To the tune of like, 10k or something.

I want to set one of these up. My older brother had a child with Retts syndrome. I won’t go into all the details here, except that it’s a legitimate need.

My entire family is raising money. I want to participate, but I am in Washington and they are in Pennsylvania. Hence, the idea about the charity web site. I suppose I could just put up a site with a link to paypal and call it a day. But I wonder if that would work well?

How do you drive people to your site? I am considering doing a blog, and maybe making posts that describe some of the fund raising events or even the family and the town. I am not sure what sort of content might motivate people to give.

Does anyone remember the charity pages I am referring to above? What sort of site did they have? What sort of site do you think would work, but wouldn’t kill me to keep updated. I probably have <5 hours a week that I can reasonably devote to this, once I get it all setup. Does that seem like a reasonable amout of time or are my expectations way off base?

Anyhow, I just got this idea tonight and wanted to put it out there and see if anyone could offer any insight. I know how to do html and could probably manage to setup some open source blogging software, get the domain and sever space.

Thoughts? Ideas for a catchy domain name?

[size=2]Edit: add stupid header[/size]

What’s a guy got to do to get a little feedback around here! Pictures of ducks?

Are you thinking about sites like this one?:

http://www.donatemoney2me.com/

I’ve no idea if it is good or not, I just heard a puff piece on NPR.

Very sorry to hear about your niece.

Donation websites are pretty shady, even more so than donating over the phone. Frankly, I assume they’re scams. I only donate to charities who send me legitimate mail and are listed at http://www.give.org. Of course it can’t hurt making a website, but I doubt you’ll find it fruitful. Instead I’d look through the assistance links at the IRSC and give.org for various charities that may be able to help. Organizing local fundraisers at your brother’s church/synagogue/whatever tends to work well too.

That’s a good point, one I hadn’t considered. It’s odd because I am very careful about where I send my money, too. I am very cynical, think most people are on the take. Maybe I need to give it more thought.

You are right about the local fundraisers. They have done one and it went over nicely. Small towns can be very generous.

Huh. I didn’t know it was cottage industry. I had previously only seen one site do something like this for one person; also only noticed it because it was reported on by the mainstream media.

Did you really tag this as NSFW so everyone would eventually look at it? Come on, Bull.

How does intentionally mislabeling a post to generate some page views hurt you? Shall I add a little disclaimer that one Bill Dungsroman was mildly annoyed in the making of this thread?

This thread is NSFB.

How does intentionally mislabeling a post to generate some page views hurt you? Shall I add a little disclaimer that one Bill Dungsroman was mildly annoyed in the making of this thread?[/quote]

Yes!

How does intentionally mislabeling a post to generate some page views hurt you? Shall I add a little disclaimer that one Bill Dungsroman was mildly annoyed in the making of this thread?[/quote]

Yes![/quote]

Only if you give me some feedback on my charity web site idea. Also, I can always add a photo of a girl’s bottom.

Yes![/quote]

Only if you give me some feedback on my charity web site idea. Also, I can always add a photo of a girl’s bottom.[/quote]

IT SUCKS. Ass, please.

Or, to be more precise, I agree with stusser. Go local and avoid slumming with the scum of the internet, or whatever. But if you do, I got a ten-spot in PayPal with your name on it.

And here I was about to make a new thread with the title “Bull’s NSFW thread is a pile of charity huggy-wuggy dreck” and put this link to the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas’ poolside webcam link (you’ll thank me come summer).

Yes, sir!