College Football 2016

They also need to ban the BS practice that coaches can deny player transfers whenever they want even though a coach is free to bail whenever.

Except that coaches aren’t free to bail whenever and players are absolutely free to transfer whenever they want.

Coaches have contracts (in most cases) and in order for them to leave for another school, the current school must allow them out of the deal. Now, some coaches have it built into their contract that if school x, y or z come calling, I am allowed to leave, but those are few and far between. More common are “buyout” clauses where the coach (or more accurately, boosters at the next school) pay the current school to let the coach leave. But, again, these are clauses that the first school puts into the contract. Even if a coach insists that these be there, the school is absolutely free to say “no”.

As for player transfers, a player is free to transfer to any other school at any time. A coach from his/her original school cannot stop this. What the coach/school CAN do, though, is block the player from receiving an athletic scholarship for the first year of the transfer only. After that, the player and new school is free and clear on athletic aid. Has it stopped a player from transferring? Maybe, but I can cite several examples of where the player transferred anyway and paid their own way the first year (or, more likely, the new school found some creative ways to funnel grant-in-aid money to the student-athlete).

It may seem like splitting hairs, but coaches are not free to leave whenever they want, but players are.

Tony

Coaches can quit whenever they want. Their contract may preclude them going to another school and getting paid, but that’s the same situation as players who quit and can’t get compensated to play someplace else.

RTFA, or at least the quote.

I can see not allowing transfers to teams on the next year’s schedule, but other than that, there shouldn’t be restrictions other than academic standing/qualification - no (academic) waivers for transfers, IMHO.