College Football 2017

You generally need a couple things to defeat a healthy Bama team. A strong defense, and exceptional QB play. Dual-threat QBs are essential, as you have to place maximum stress on the Bama D. Pocket passers are easy targets for that pass rush. Not sure if State Farm is capable of doing that.

Georgia does have a strong defense. And in Bama, Hurts is less than a QB and more of an RB who sort of throws. So there’s that.

For me, and I suspect for a lot of Dawgs, the season was won when we redeemed ourselves against Auburn. Everything else is pure gravy.

Well, I thought this was Oklahoma’s year, but they really gave that one away to Georgia. And as for Alabama, damn those guys. Now I have to root for an SEC team to beat Bama.

That was a great Rose Bowl. I do not have a direct rooting interest in the playoffs (aside from being anti-Alabama), but really enjoyed watching Baker Mayfield play and will miss seeing how his antics upset tradition-minded college football fans. Even if they were not playing Alabama, I would not mind a Georgia national championship. It is kind of absurd that they haven’t won one in nearly 40 years and I feel like they’re due after underachieving for so long.

I’m not a sportsball guy but I just wanted to say,

Thought it might be as well, especially with as hot as they opened up. I think Lincoln Riley’s inexperience led him to be a bit too conservative late as well (both OT possessions were effectively run, run, run, as was the late possession after the UGA punt when they still had the lead). While the running game was excellent all game, in winning time, I’d rather have the game in my Senior, Heisman-trophy winning fire-breathing leader of a QB’s hands and win the game rather than playing not to lose it. I’m guessing he didn’t watch the Super Bowl last year (or at least learn from it).

Good point. As much as I dislike Baker Mayfield (“Humble yourself!” was a pretty good recommendation), he is an amazing QB. Now, Georgia’s defense did rise to the occasion at the end, you have to admit, but I agree that the offensive play calling from the other side was less than inspired.

Both sides seemed to adjust after half time, the Georgia defense figured out how to stop/slow down Oklahoma (3 straight 3 and outs I think) and the Oklahoma offense went more conservative.

Often in basketball the team that comes back from way down seems to use all it’s energy in the comeback, but in football and baseball the change in momentum seems to continue. Once Georgia got it’s confidence back it seemed in full control.

That’s one thing I do like about team sports, the psychological dynamics. College ball is particularly a head game sometimes. Alabama nursed a grudge to good effect against Clemson, the way Georgia did against Auburn. The championship game is pretty much devoid of bulletin board material though.

Halftime in the national title game. Georgia suffocating Bama on defense. Up 13-0.

I just turned the game on for a minute and saw a brutal non-call on an Alabama lineman literally tackling a guy, allowing the QB to scramble away, then they score a TD. Seems like the refs are sick of that suffocation!

Georgia has converted like four or five third and longs tonight. That’s the story of this game. Bama can’t get their defense off the field.

Bama benched Hurts and went with the freshman Tua. He led a pretty amazing TD drive, but then both freshmen QBs went back-to-back on picks.

Two wildcat formation plays up by just a TD in the 4th quarter. Interesting playcalls for UGA there.

(By “interesting” I mean “highly questionable”.)

FWIW, Sony Michel has been the most dynamic offensive player on the field tonight. Not sure why they’re even sending Nick Chubb out there at this point.

Jake Fromm has been on fire on 3rd down and he’s not even involved in two of those plays.

Crazy.

HOLY SHIT. BAMA KICKER HAS A CHIP SHOT TO WIN AND HE MISSES. WE’RE GOING TO OVERTIME.

From total dominance in the first half to a complete collapse…but he hooks it AGAIN!!!

Overtime!!!

College kickers.