College Football 2017

Hear me now and believe me later, before this season is over, Ohio State will be back in the top 4 and will make the playoff.

Friday night away games will always be upset watch.

Had just finished watching the 1st half on the dvr. Didn’t even occur to me to avoid this thread because nobody ever talks about Cal…
Probably made watching the 2nd half more enjoyable - no constant worrying that Cal would give up 3 quick touchdowns or something else typically Cal-like.

7 TO’s on the road will do that to you against just about anyone.

October is usually good for one of these crazy upset weeks. Teams get into the meat of their schedule after being propped up by all the cupcakes they schedule in September.

If I’m a team with playoff aspirations I am refusing any and all Friday night away games.

I’m getting nervous now about Georgia. Usually, when they start this well, they get cocky and bam! it all goes to hell. But right now they sure seem to be barking up the right trees.

There were seven ranked teams knocked off this weekend and several other games were extremely close. The weird thing was that all of the upsets were vs unranked opponents. In fact there were no matchups of ranked teams at all, this weekend.

Wanted to add that is shows why I believe rankings shouldn’t start until mid October, when teams get into the meat of their schedule and have a body of work to base their rankings on. Early rankings only benefit the so-called elite teams who get a boost through their early but unproven ranking position.

The only rankings that matter do this - the first CFP rankings won’t come out until after next week, I believe.

I do agree that the CPF rankings have it right by delaying but the problem is that they are directly affected by the other rankings.

Not sure I 100% agree since their method is (supposedly) based on the metrics that they have agreed on (SOS, Wins against top 50, etc) but there is definitely some level of influence there.

In general I feel like the AP & Coaches polls follow the CFP polls once they are out, vs vice versa.

Just glad to have a reason to care about those rankings at least for a couple more weeks.

I’ve been saying this for years. Taking away pre season hype these rankings make no sense. How is Notre Dame not the highest ranked 1 loss team? Their only loss is by 1 point against the number 3 team in the country. They have also played a stronger schedule than most ahead of them. And this is coming from a USC fan so you know it hurts to say.

Also I’m tired of these weak ass schedules these highly ranked teams are being rewarded for. But that is a whole other can of worms.

Penn State just freakin’ choked in Columbus tonight. Most of the second half, they did nothing right. No offensive production, unable to stop Ohio State on defense, unimpressive special teams. A couple of dumb luck plays - TD instead of interception, Buckeye fumble - were the only reason they still had a lead in the 4th quarter, and then they blew that.

As a Michigan resident, I’m never happy to see Ohio State win. But from the way they played tonight, Penn State certainly didn’t deserve to be up at #2. Georgia should get that spot now, and barring an Auburn upset against one or the other, meet Alabama in one heck of a SEC championship game.

From the other side, J.T. Barrett said, “Hi Heisman race, I’m here!” He completed 16 straight passes in that comeback.

I actually watched half of the Georgia game. Haven’t watched much football in years, but it’s been a while since the Gators got a well-deserved whipping. I was quite pleased, I have to say, with the Dawgs today.

I’d love to see us vs. Bama. That could be epic.

Notre Dame looked like a playoff team, and Wake Forest somehow looks like an ACC title contender.

I’m just happy Georgia already beat Notre Dame.

The curse of the SEC East.

Gary Pinkel won the SEC East in 2013 and 2014…and was gone by 2015.

Jim McElwain won the SEC East in 2015 and 2016, gone now in 2017.

So…Kirby Smart in 2 years?