Color Out of Space is…something. Definitely something.

This movie was wonderfully fucked up. The events in the attic reminded me quite a bit of a Brian Yuzna (who, incidentally, has directed a few Lovecraft adaptations of his own) movie…particularly the extra-demented Society.

The sound design was particularly disturbing.

Sound design, score, and, err, creature effects were all very very very solid throughout. Cage is gloriously unhinged. I couldn’t stop thinking the daughter was a digitally de-aged Portia Doubleday (no mean trick given that she’s obviously still a very young woman herself).

It really revels in the deep well of Lovecraftian horror, and does a very good job of capturing the general mood of that genre, including the occasional bits of unintentionally comic writerly excess, heh.

The gf and I really dug it!

Grr, still not showing around here.

Same here for the typical spots, but I found showtimes at my local art cinema. Might be worth investigating if you haven’t.

Subtext of the movie

white men age 50-70 can see the world burning around them and will continue watching the tv and ignoring the world dying and continue making memes about greta

So, the closest theaters I can find that have this scheduled at all are: Ithaca–3 hours west of me. Yonkers–3 hours south of me, and Springfield MA–3 hours east of me.

WTF?

I don’t want to raise anyone’s expectations, but I’ve seen this movie three times now, and liked it better each time. Also, inveterate movie hater @Brooski liked it. Also also, @Kelly_Wand’s email response to me after seeing this was, and I quote, “OMFG Color Out of Space!”

Also also also, I can’t stop listening to this lovely wistful bit from the soundtrack, by Colin Stetson, who also scored Hereditary:

-Tom

The music is fantastic in this movie.

this is playing near me but only at one theater and they’re only showing it one time per day… 10:30 on Friday, 9:55 on Saturday, middle of the day on Tuesday and Wednesday… Seems like the schedule was designed by throwing darts at a board.

Fuuuuuuuck, Colin Stetson?!?!

I still haven’t seen Little Women or Parasite or A Hidden Life (or Star Wars) and now I need to add one more movie I can’t afford to my to-watch list?!

Yeah this movie is not playing anywhere.

Oh well, I guess I’ll wait till the Blu-ray comes out.

Which appears to be in a few weeks.

Yeah, the distributor seems to just do token theatrical releases for movies that would otherwise go direct-to-streaming. Some of their earlier movies are Mandy, which I would argue didn’t survive its collision with Nicolas Cage; Galveston, a darkly moody Ben Foster thriller; and Craig Zahler’s Brawl in Cell Block 99, in which Vince Vaughn totally fights a car with his bare hands.

I’m glad they took a chance on Color Out of Space. It really looks great on the big screen.

-Tom

I’m happy to finally have a theater that screens that sort of limited release (but genre) movie so I could have that experience.

They made a Final Fight movie??

Seeing this Monday and I am very excited.

I blame the director for that one.

I liked it!, a very solid entry in the horror/scifi genre. It works because it properly setup first the normal family, with their mundane quirks and everything, and later makes a slow but unstoppable descent into madness.

It’s in that middle point between sanity and madness, where things are starting to go awry but still haven’t reached the climax, where the film shines, with the spectator in tension because he has just enough info to know things will be bad, but don’t exactly how much or in what form it will appear.
Like Nic Cage scratching his arms and them looking worse and worse, I was totally apprehensive with that because I expected some body horror with them at the climax, although I actually was wrong with that, the body horror came but from out of left field…

Yes! In that scene, I love how he dips two fingers in his whiskey and rubs it on his new, scaly skin. Very hard to predict where this movie is going. It reminded me of Parasite in that respect.

What a trip! It brought to mind pretty much all my childhood favorites like The Twilight Zone, Poltergeist, The Thing, Carrie, Re-Animator… the list goes on and on.

Saw this yesterday. Worst T-Mobile ad ever. If this is what to expect from 5G, I want no part of it.