Come guess this movie in the 2017 20:20 game!

Okay. This shouldn’t be too hard.

The new twenty:

-xtien

Lake Flaccid?

-xtien

King Kong, of course. Suprising that, with all the movies we’ve done, this one hasn’t.

Sorry, @Jason_Levine. I’m afraid I’m gonna need a year.

-xtien

Kidding!

Ding ding ding! Jason is winnar. I was surprised too.

I was also surprised at how funny some of the dialogue is in this movie. It’s way weirder than I remembered.

The forty:

sixty-one:

The eighty-whatever:

Bonus shot, because I love the composition (although it’s hard to tell from this frame):

You have the conch, @Jason_Levine!

-xtien

“Yeah, blondes are scarce around here.”

Yeah, it is weird and maybe just as weird that nobody’s been able to improve on it.

I’ll have something up tonight (Central Time).

Seriously. I watched the first hour of the Peter Jackson one as well, and dang is that a slog after watching the 1933 version. I liked the Jackson one a lot when it came out. Naomi Watts gave my favorite performance that year, if memory serves. But damn, it’s three hours long and it feels like Jackson, Philippa Boyens, and Fran Walsh watched the '33 version and every time there was an economical exchange of dialogue they turned to each other and said, “You know what, we can turn that one line into a ten-minute scene to explain the line!”

Maybe they were practicing for adapting The Hobbit.

It’s really frustrating. Also, Jack Black. What are you doing.

-xtien

There are very, very few movies I hate. Peter Jackson’s King Kong is one of them (even though I love Naomi Watts and Andy Serkis).

And yeah, Jack Black. WTH.

I liked Peter Jackson’s King Kong because it gave me an easy 1000 gamerscore points on the 360.

This one could be difficult.

New 20:20

Hmm, could that be the back of Tom Holland’s head? Is it How I Live Now? I can’t imagine that’s a movie you’d know.

-Tom

No, it’s not How I Live Now. I have a feeling that the way the frames lined up I may lose this one.

40:40

Ah, people moving out a motel, and a sweet Florida mini-mansion? I bet it’s Ramin Bahrani’s 99 Homes!

-Tom

Tom exhibits terrific powers of deduction! It is 99 Homes, Bahrani’s Faustian Bargain movie set in the subprime mortgage crisis. I thought I may lose this one because neither of the two leads, Andrew Garfield and Michael Shannon, are visible in any of the frames. It will surprise nobody in this forum that Shannon completely steals the movie as the Beelzebub of foreclosures.

Over to you, Tom!

Yeah, Michael Shannon is totally the reason to see that movie. I didn’t care for it, but I love Goodbye Solo, one of the director’s earlier movies that doesn’t star anyone famous.

Okay, in what movie will you see this at the 20:20?

-Tom

All the President’s Men?

I don’t remember that scene from All the President’s Men, so i’ll go with The Candidate.

It’s probably The Candidate but I’ll go with Downhill Racer. Pan 'n scanned.

And Bella has it! Congrats! It is indeed The Candidate, which holds up beautifully and is still as relevant as ever. Great great 70s cinema, channeling Aaron Sorkin before he was Aaron Sorkin by way of Robert Altman. With one of the most powerful final scenes of all time.

Hey, it’s pre-Conversation Alan Garfield in the 40:40.

A little old-timey TV at the 60:60.

One of Bill McKay’s hapless aides at the 80:80.

And Melvyn Douglas as The Candidate’s looming father in the 100:100.

Too bad Peter Boyle wasn’t in any of the frames. He’s captivating in this, playing the devil to Robert Redford’s Faust. So here’s a bonus frame that express the movie in a nutshell:

Over to you, @BellaConfusione!

-Tom