Come guess this movie in the 2017 20:20 game!

Yay, me! My first one of 2017!

I will be very impressed if any of you get this before 80:80.

20:20

Revenge of the Nerds?

Nope.

The Fly?

Nope.

I’m dying to know the logic behind those two guesses…

The guy in the taxi looked a bit like Jeff Goldblum to me, and by the old-ish looks of the taxi I went with The Fly. :)

I doubt the 40:40 will help you.

Damn, I actually recognize the 40, I think… I just have no idea from where.

Eh, no special insight. Age of the car indicated something from the 80s, and the playing field kinda looked like it might have belonged at a college. Shot in the dark.

The Conversation?

Nope.

60:60 won’t help you, either.

If no one gets it, I will post the 80:80 at approximately 2 PM, West Coast time. I expect it will not last very long.

Well, my wild ass guess is Pretty Woman

Nope.

Zodiac?

Nope.

Okay, here is the 80:80. I shit you not, that is seriously the 80:80. Only one of the most recognized memes on the Internet.

80:80

That was easier. Assassins.

Yes, Assassins. An interesting relic from the 90s. I hadn’t seen it for more than 20 years, but I recently got it on DVD and was sorta amazed at it.

For one, it was a spec script written by a couple of brothers, and it was their first screenplay to be made into a movie: Andy and Larry Wachowski. But it was rewritten by Brian Helgeland, to the point that the Wachowski’s pretty much disowned it.

The character names are classic roll-your-eyes action movie names. Stallone plays Richard Rath (Rath. Get it? Wrath). Antonio Banderas plays Miguel Bain. (Bain. Get it? Bane).

It was made just when the Internet was starting to gain a foothold in the mainstream, so it’s kinda funny watching early hacking and computing in action. Plus, the hacker is played by the always-luminous Julianne Moore, in one of her first big roles. She had previously made her mark in bit supporting roles, like The Hand that Rocks the Cradle and The Fugitive. Here, she gets to play against Stallone and Banderas. Stallone was in his mid-90s career resurgence that had kicked off with Cliffhanger.

Ms. Moore makes an appearance in the 100:100

And here’s Sly in the 120:120

And here’s Julianne Moore in a Premiere Magazine article about the movie. Instantly swoonworthy.

I remember really liking the movie when it came out, and now you made me want to watch it again.

Here’s a 20 from a completely different movie:

Looks like The Apple.