Come guess this movie in the 2017 20:20 game!

With some movies it’s hard to analyze why they worked for you, but in this case it probably helped that i went in completely cold.

Had i known about the prison setting beforehand, i would have probably skipped it. I was mainly drawn in by Rahim’s performance and was perfectly fine with just watching a movie about this type of character trying to survive in a prison environment. The fact that his development goes beyond mere survival and eventually leads to change of setting was again a complete surprise and gave the film some momentum in spite of the excessive running time.

Well, at least that’s one way to keep me from guessing The Forest. Hah!

One of my new favorite movies . . . I wonder how many here have seen it:

That’s the Void, but didn’t someone JUST do it? I can’t find a reference to it, but I coulda sworn…

Both it and the movie I contributed above (Hounds of Love) were recently mentioned in peacedog’s 2017 horror movie thread.

I searched and couldn’t find it. Funny story, the Alien Covenant podcast didn’t show up in my Android podcast player . . . and Tom even mentioned it on there.

Damn.

Here’s the 40.

And it’s yours.

The new 20:20! Something tells me this one won’t take long…

Mighty morphing power rangers?

Oh please let it be that. Oh please oh please. Dr. Crypt doing a Power Rangers frame? Awesome.

-xtien

I would absolutely LOVE to hear the rationale behind that Power Rangers guess, but alas, ‘tis not a Mighty Morphin’ joint.

The 40:40…

Dellamorte Dellamore! Right?

EDIT: Ah, yes, now that I’m looking more closely, of course that’s right. I can’t believe I didn’t get it from the 20:20! I knew she looked familiar and that blue flame is a dead giveaway. I love that movie so much.

-Tom

Correct! Also known as Cemetery Man (my preferred title) and, inexplicably, Demons '95.

The 60:60

http://i.imgur.com/hzBxXQk.png

The 80:80

http://i.imgur.com/kf0BhuO.jpg

And the 100:100

http://i.imgur.com/ixGX7KB.jpg

Over to you, Chick!

I love that 100:100.

Demons '95? Ewww. That’s horrible.

I’m going to go celebrate my victory now, and then find a good 20:20. Stand by!

-Tom

In what movie will you see this at the 20:20?

-Tom

The List

Schindler’s List?

You just took a picture in Dingus’s room.

This looks like something that could happen in a Wes Anderson movie, so: Moonrise Kingdom?

No correct guesses so far, and I can assure you this is from a movie! I hereby prove it with a 40:40.

Name the movie!

-Tom

That’s Rebecca Hall as Christine Chubbuck in one of the two different movies released last year about her on-air suicide.

But this version is called simply Christine.

You got it! The other Christine Chubbuck movie is sooooo bad. Like, offensively so. It’s just a bunch of overbearingly angsty dithering by an actress supposedly playing Chubbuck. The supposedly heavy ending is laughable.

But then there’s Rebecca Hall’s flat-out brilliant performance in Christine. She’s amazing. It’s the sort of performance women rarely get to do. I think it’s way better than, say, Charlize Theron in Monster for how much she humanizes Chubbuck, for how she inhabits and expresses such a sad, awkward place, with some stunning physicality. Her demeanor, the puppet stuff, her outbursts and frustration.

You just miss her face in this frame, but like the newsroom set in the 40:40, it’s an example of a lot of great period hardware.

Here’s Rebecca Hall, the other superhot chick from Vicky Christina Barcelona, rendering herself almost unrecognizable by the way she holds what’s intended to be a smile.

And in the 80:80, the lovely J. Smith-Cameron, who is married to Kenneth Lonergan and was so good with Anna Paquin in Margaret.

Seriously, if you want to see a stunningly good performance, check out the Christine that isn’t about a killer car:

Over to you, Mr. Horde!

-Tom

EDIT: Why is my Amazon link so boring? How can I get it to put a cool picture or whatever in there???