Come guess this movie in the 2017 20:20 game!

The new twenty:

bees20

-xtien

I was most interested in seeing this because I wanted to see James Frecheville again, after really liking him in Animal Kingdom, and of course I love Naomi Watts and Robin Wright. I liked the three of them fine, but the fourth piece of the puzzle, Xavier Samuel, really didn’t do it for me. He was too much of a weak link for a movie that has, shall we say, a certain ick factor.

Anyway, the color of that water and that shoreline were just so distinctive.

-xtien

Is that a bee lapping some kind of liquid mixed with blood?

(There’s a future 3x3: Bees/bugs in movies)

Want to say it’s some kind of horror or sci-fi movie.

Upstream Color?

Not sure if you’re right, but based on composition, that’s a really strong guess.

Probably isn’t, because it’s been done. But it’s the thought that jumped out at me when I saw that frame.

Interesting guess, but no, it’s not Upstream Color.

-xtien

Wild guess based upon xtien’s viewing habits…is it Aeon Flux?

It is not Aeon Flux. But I love how people have come to rely upon the transparency of my viewing habits.

Also, it occurs to me that the fly-in-the-eyelash [flylash?] bit from that movie could lead from this image. So this guess works nicely in two ways. Good on you, Kemper!

-xtien

This should make things clear.

The forty:

bees40

-xtien

Thomas hayden Church Being Kissed And Not Knowing How To Deal With It - Don McKay?

Buzz buzz buzz! It is indeed Don McKay. I’m quite fond of that 20:20.

sixty-one:

bees61

The eighty-whatever:

bees80

You have the conch, @Soren_Hoglund!

-xtien

“And? I like that.”

New 20:20:

Since i’ve just seen High and Low and don’t recall that frame, i’ll go with the only other non period Kurosawa from that era i know: The Bad Sleep Well?

Dind ding ding, we have a winner!

40:40

60:60

80:80

100:100

120:120

140:140

Tony Zhou did a pretty cool every frame a painting on how Kurasoava composes his shots in it:

Over to you @BellaConfusione

Wow, this reminds me again of how little Japanese cinema from that period i know besides the Kurosawa and Ozu canon. This is honestly the only movie i could think of besides High and Low.

Here is a new 20:

Is it 50/50?

It’s not 50/50

Pretty sure that’s Mysterious Skin.

And pretty damn right you are.

40:

60:

80:

@charmtrap, you’re up!