Come guess this movie in the 2017 20:20 game!

40:40

That looks almost like a relatively slim Orson Welles at the head of the table, but the film is obviously far too recent for that possibility. Has Vincent D’Onofrio gotten that old?

Looks like Vincent D’Onofrio and John Krazinski to me.

Okay, I’m going to put the 60:60 in spoilers. If you’re pretty sure you haven’t seen this movie, but if you think you’d want to, I recommend not seeing it. There is no one recognizable in it, so it probably would not help you anyway, but it’s a rather big spoiler for a very tense moment in the movie.

60:60

Alright, since some of you may be avoiding 60:60 due to the warning, here’s the final screen. 80:80. If no one gets it by 5 PM, West Coast time, I’ll reveal.

80:80

Broken Horses.

Ding, ding.

It’s an interesting movie for a lot of reasons. For one, it was written, produced, and directed by a noted Bollywood director transplanting one of his most influential movies to the American southwest, in his first Western movie.

It’s perhaps to his credit that it’s not a total mess, but it is all over the place. For what it’s worth, James Cameron and Alfonso Cuaron totally go to bat for it in the trailers.

The cast features the late Anton Yelchin, Private Gomer Pyle, Thomas Jane, and Sean Patrick Flannery (whoever guessed Powder was sorta close). Ben Foster was originally going to star opposite Yelchin, but dropped out. And it’s totally a dude’s movie, as the only female with a speaking role is Maria Valverde, the ridiculously beautiful Spanish actress, who doesn’t have a lot to play with here.

I just thought the house and field looked a bit like a house and field from Powder… but maybe I’m a bit of a psychic. Maybe if the XCOM aliens attack I can be trained to use it.

I can only imagine the camera tricks and epic, absurd seriousness goes over well with Indian audiences, but I found Broken Horses unintentionally funny…when I wasn’t falling asleep from boredom. I’m not surprised James Cameron loved it, though, since camera trickery and absurd seriousness is kind of his thing.

Anyway, new 20:

When Ken Met Barbie: A Mattel Story

You’ll be surprised to learn that it is not.

Wow. What a cool frame. It looks like it could be a retro version of a scene from La La Land.

-xtien

Oh wow, is that Xanadu? My wife made me watch that a couple of times after we got married. It’s one of her favorite movies. Looks like the site that Olivia Newton John convinces them to renovate.

You got it! Nice pull!

It is indeed the infamous flop, Xanadu (as the last frame would have no doubt given away). Silly disco dance numbers…some really great ELO songs though.

EDIT:

And actually, this whole rollerskating/marching/proto-techno music sequence at the end that leads into the final “Xanadu” song with Olivia Newton-John is genuinely awesome and rousing.

And, of course, shows why all of us 10-year-old boys were completely in love with ONJ.

That clip was just spectacularly dorky - and I loved it because that was my Wonder Years.

Skimming the thread to catch up I could’ve sworn this was from Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

Oh shoot, sorry folks, I neglected to check in and just now noticed that I was right about the movie :) I’ll get my 20:20 up tonight after work.

Hmmmm,…

Fail. I’ll get my 20:20 up today. Been so engrossed in P&R while I’m on the forum that I spaced off the 20:20

Trump continues to reduce my joys in life…