Come guess this movie in the 2017 20:20 game!

Oh crap. Bald Vince Vaughn?

That must be Brawl on Cell Block 99.

No way. How the eff would Tom have gotten to see that already?!

I think it was available on VOD platforms at release. I didn’t check them all but I can rent or buy it from Amazon right now (in the US).

A winner is @baren! It is indeed Brawl in Cell Block 99, from the guy who wrote Asylum Blackout and the guy who wrote and directed Bone Tomahawk. Here’s Jennifer Carpenter, super skinny by way of contrast to Vince Vaughn.

Here’s a better look at our beefed up and smoothly shorn Vince Vaughn at the 80:80.

Here are some bad hombres at the 100:100.

It’s a long movie, but if you stick around, here’s a really cool shot at the 120:120.

Are you kidding? I jumped on it as soon as it was available on Friday!

https://www.amazon.com/Brawl-Cell-Block-Vince-Vaughn/product-reviews/B075XSLVVR/

Sadly, I didn’t care for it. It’s no Bone Tomahawk. Over to you, @baren!

-Tom

That’s disappointing. Bone Tomahawk was amazing. Is Carpenter the unfortunate sister in Dexter?

I’ll try to have something new up tonight.

New 2020 served.

Raw!

-Tom

@tomchick proves that revenge is best served Raw.

4040 (about 1 second after something I’d have had to censor)

6060 (there’s some legit looking video gaming in this movie)

Take it away, Chick.

Ella Rumpf was great as the older sister, so those are cool frames. But I’m disappointed at the amount of Rose Byrne doppleganger Garance Millinier in those frames! Sad!

Okay, ladies, gentlemen, and children of all ages*, in what movie will you see this at the 20:20?

-Tom

* or not, depending on the MPAA rating, but that could theoretically be a hint

This one’s killing me too. I know I’ve seen that kid before, and recently. That overcoat, too, I can -almost- picture the guy wearing it. And that woman crawling away screams David Cronenberg or Dario Argento, but the frames don’t match up to any of my guesses (The Brood, Phenomena, Deep Red, etc.).

Sightseers?

Nightcrawler

Going to guess Cheap Thrills.

Whoa, someone knows his Koechner! It is indeed Cheap Thrills. The 40:40 is a dead giveaway if you’ve seen the movie.

The 60:60 is a great Ethan Embry reaction.

The 80:80 is singularly unhelpful, but I guess it gives away the city where it was shot.

I love this movie, and it’s progression from playful to dark to just plain cruel. @DrCrypt, if you haven’t seen it, you should. Cheap Thrills director EL Katz just did another movie released on Netflix called Small Crimes – written by Macon Blair! – that’s sadly not very good. Part of the problem is that the lead is Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, who’s terribly miscast. But the script doesn’t have any of the bite of Cheap Thrill or Macon Blair’s other movie, I Don’t Feel At Home in This World Anymore.

You’re on a roll, @baren! Over to you.

-Tom

Totally dug Cheap Thrills. High concept, low budget, with keenly drawn characters. I want more of that kind of experimentation. I’ll probably need to watch Small Crimes, despite the negative strike. (Unrelated: Am I alone in thinking that Small Time Criminals is Woody Allen’s best comedy?)

My first choice for a new challenge here proved WAY too easy. This one is likely to go pretty fast, too, though.

Language warning! 2020:

I hate Mr. Right sooo hard! Thanks, Max Landis.

-Tom

People are going to start thinking we’re collaborating, @tomchick.

Yeah, Mr Right. You know, I think Landis is a smart guy. I like some of his deconstruction work. He has pretty good character and theme insight that serves his work well. But I’ve hated everything he’s done since Chronicle.

I don’t know. Maybe I can’t hate Mr Right. Just feels like a waste of incandescent talents like Anna Kendrick, Sam Rockwell, and Tim Roth.

Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency, on the other hand? The people should rise up against Landis, the great beast, who slouches toward Gehenna with the splintered bones of innocents tumbling from his teeth.

Really, Anna? I mean, even Rapture-Palooza was a better movie than this.

tennis

-xtien

Dingus wins the internets for tonight!

I’m happy to say I don’t even know what that is. What’s more, now that I know Max Landis has something to do with it, I’m not even gonna Google it. Take that, Landis!

In what movie will you see this at the 20:20?

Minions2020

-Tom