Come Sunday - Chewie gets right with God

Chiwetel Ejiofor, Jason Segel, Lakeith Stanfield, Condola Rashad, Danny Glover, and Martin Sheen.

Directed by Josh Marston (Maria Full of Grace)

From This American Life.

Years ago, I became aware that there was a huge gap between the way evangelicals are portrayed on TV and in films and in the news, and the evangelicals I know in my personal life. Who are not like the smiling, intolerant hardasses I see in the media, but complicated, sensitive, funny people who take seriously Jesus’s admonition to love one another.

It seemed worthwhile to tell stories that try to portray a more complicated picture of this part of America. Which is, after all, huge. A fourth of the country.

The story from the original broadcast (repeated here in the podcast) is fascinating whether you’re religious or not. Boiled down to its essence is this: Reverend Carlton Pearson became one of the most important figures in evangelical Christianity, then was shunned and eventually declared a heretic in 2004. Yes, a real honest-to-gosh heretic! Because he eventually came to believe that parts of the Bible were wrong and that Hell wasn’t real.