Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee

Jerry Seinfeld gets some old car, goes and picks up a comedian friend, they go have coffee together. Not much more to it than that. Episode 1 - Larry David. Episode 2 - Ricky Gervais. Episode 1 almost made me feel like I was watching an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm. ;)

I found it funny, though not roaringly hilarious. If you hate all things Jerry Seinfeld, this probably isn’t for you, but otherwise I’d say it’s worth a watch.

Woof. I would classify these as a total waste of time. Depending on how interesting the future guests are (Brian Regan is next), I might waste five more minutes here and there, but I like both Gervais and David (and Seinfeld) and thought these were pretty awful.

Episode 1 with Larry David (whom I love) was… amusing. The only joke that made me chuckle out loud was
joke

Jerry’s bit about chickens out on the range.

What’s the deal with Mocha Latte? I mean, is it a mocha, or is it a latte? Am I right, people? Uh-huh. That guy knows what I’m talkin’ 'bout!

This is bizarre. Neither Jerry nor the guest seem to know what to do with it. It doesn’t really seem like they have material prepared for this. It’s like when Jon Stewart has one of his old friends (Denis Leary, Romano, etc), and they don’t even talk about anything, but less funny.

This show…still a bit of a mess and still not all that funny. But this week he has Joel Hodgson, for all you other MiSTies out there.

I liked the one with Alec Baldwin. Almost a “behind the scenes” thing to see how he would be, basically, in real life. I laughed a bunch of times. Alec seems like the kind of guy who would keep you laughing with random stories all evening…

Alec Baldwin made me feel like he’s always in character. The bit about “rapier” was funny.

Might have been the suit. Made him look like he just walked off the set of 30 Rock.

In any case, I think the Alec Baldwin video has been the best of the show so far.

Seinfeld has a sweet car collection. I wonder if he owns a 300SL.

See…I really kind of like this. It’s low-key and very droll and humorous without necessarily always being laugh-out-loud funny. It’s two smart, very funny people hanging out and talking.

I like that kind of stuff.

Me too. It’s 13min and that can never be a waste of time. I wish it were even longer and I’d like to see some uncut film.

I think it’s just the mismatch of ambitions that makes it a strange fit for a web show. It’s clearly a very slick production, with HD cameras mounted in his extremely expensive cars and chase cars getting the outside shots and all the splashy editing. It’s very expensive and professional-looking. Much money is being spent on this. And it’s all in aid of…two guys being mildly amusing for a few minutes.

I’m not convinced it’s high budget; those HD cameras aren’t very expensive at all and those cars are free [probably]loaners, as they get their name splashed at the end.
I can’t imagine the small crew being paid highly either.

And?

Jerry Seinfeld has piles of money. The cars are donated for sponsorship and promotional whatever in the credits. He’s spending a tiny bit on these little vignettes that cost him very little and allow him to do something he loves in a setting he enjoys and is comfortable in.

Nevemrind

New episode with Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks is a fucking treasure.

I fervently hope he gets Albert Brooks in the car with him.

Haven’t watched this one yet, but should be interesting.

Mr. Seinfeld’s latest guest: disgraced comedic actor Michael Richards.

That’s the first one of these that I really liked, mainly because you really get the sense that these are two old friends talking, and there is a lot of pathos on Michael Richards’ part. I totally forgot what happened a decade ago, but it’s basically the reason why he’s disappeared.

Plus, Jerry doesn’t look like he’s going to collapse in laughter at every little joke.