Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee

I really cherish this show. I know that’s a goofy verb to use, but while it has a lot of silliness and lightness to it, the way he’s structured the show makes it feel like Jerry Seinfeld is creating a sort of comedy document. A capsule.

It doesn’t always work of course. When he’s with someone he doesn’t care for, or with whom he has no history or chemistry, it is apparent. The lastest episode with Jim Carrey was flat out painful.

When it does work, however, it is gold. Gold, Jerry.

And damn! I love hepcat’s suggestion above. I would be so happy to see him talk to Albert Brooks.

-xtien

“I’ll go if I don’t have to talk.”

Yeah, this is a really neat experiment. Conversations set (partly) to motion, without the severe constraints and trappings—desk, audience, promotional agenda, down-to-the-second time allotment, et cetera—of the typical talk show interview.

Being unrehearsed and unstructured, the dynamics are all over the place, and yeah, very much affected by chemistry, even with the heavy editing. Some of the shows are easy and natural, just two old old friends chatting (Larry David, Sarah Jessica Parker, Ali Wentworth), some are strongly colored by respect and deference on Seinfeld’s part (Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks, Don Rickles), some are about seasoned pros talking shop (Chris Rock, Jay Leno), some guests aren’t entirely certain what’s “supposed” to happen (Aziz Ansari, Tina Fey, a surprisingly flat Patton Oswalt) or are uncomfortable with the format (Ricky Gervais, who appears genuinely—and hilariously—unhappy about being a passenger in Jerry’s car). They aren’t equally successful, but I find that pretty interesting, too.

For a show about the show, the Paley Media Center hosted a lengthy interview with Seinfeld by David Letterman last year.

Alec Baldwin’s show was great. He’s not a professional comedian, but he’s a gifted and practiced raconteur, and he clearly came prepared. In one bit, you can tell that he basically said to Seinfeld “Hey, I’ve got a funny story about Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster: set me up.” Later, he contrives his own cue to tell a completely insane story about Rip Torn. And that improvised bit about being a kid, enviously looking over the fence into neighbor-kid-Seinfeld’s yard, just kills me. “Whoa, that fuckin’ Jerry got a fuckin’ Slip 'N Slide. That hard-on. Look at that Slip 'N Slide. Can you imagine? Jeez. Is anybody out here using it? Is anybody playing with it? He’s in the house. What’s he doing? Look through the window! He’s talking into a hairbrush in his bathroom.”

I’m crossing my fingers that Woody Allen is interested in doing it.

I found myself surprisingly enjoying the Steve Harvey episode a lot. You can tell that Harvey–who is a guy who I find isn’t real funny most of the time, but is great at physical reaction shots–has thought a TON about comedy and what makes audiences laugh. I thought he and Jerry had a terrific skull session on that subject.

I totally agree, triggercut. Well put. I went into that one kind of groaning as I’m not a fan of Steve Harvey. But to be fair, I’m not a fan of most stand-up comedy. I walk a line between being too nervous for the performer to be able to enjoy it to getting bored. The Steve Harvey episode was such a revelation. They clearly have affection for one another, and were both so relaxed and easy with one another that I was totally won over. I’ve watched it at least twice.

Ugh. I forgot about that one. It was so weird to watch the episode mimic what happened with the Delorean.

Agreed, totally, on the Alec Baldwin episode. Another I’ve watched many times, mainly because I just love that Douglas/Lancaster story you reference above. I cannot get enough of Baldwin’s Lancaster in that punchline. Damn. I walked around my house for days after that saying that line, trying to emulate his impersonation. It makes me chuckle just typing this up.

-xtien

“I suppose you’re looking for thisss.”

who was the guy that sat down with Colin Quinn and Jerry? Didn’t recognize him or catch his name.

Mario Joyner. Standup comedian and a buddy of Jerry’s from way back. Used to host a comedy show on MTV, has been in episodes of Seinfeld, etc.

I feel like they’re over too quickly, almost every episode needs about 10 more minutes, they feel rushed.

Yeah, some of them do feel a bit hectic, which will be down to how they’re edited. I don’t think Seinfeld’s intentionally trying to overpack them, though, since his running time is entirely up to him. Maybe he’s going for a different pace with different guests.

I think they got arrogant and smug reversed in the new one with Bill Maher. Or perhaps that was a joke.

So new season is coming out. Jerry has a very special guest. But they’ll have to take the guest’s car, cause the Secret Service has a fit about the idea of POTUS riding around in an unarmored vehicle.

I would watch that.

He’s got nothing better to do?

Sigh. Just a matter of time before somebody said that.

Of course he has better things to do. He could be interviewing real comedians. Or brushing up some new material in clubs. But Jerry Seinfeld needs to take a break for stuff like this, just like the rest of us. He’s still a person, you know.

-xtien

It’s the same reason POTUS appeared on Between Two Ferns or The Daily Show. He’s trying to reach out to an audience that’s not reading newspapers or watching news channels.

Thank you for your service.

Well played.

I think the episode is online 12/30, and they will be driving one of my favorite cars. Apparently, like Rain Man, he is allowed to drive in the driveway.

Out
stand
ing

I really must continue to lay on about this brilliant bit of satire. Bravo, sir.

Speaking of satire, the Trevor Noah episode from last season was also fantastic.

this made me smile

Just watched the POTUS episode, good stuff: http://www.crackle.com/comedians-in-cars-getting-coffee

Awesome-looking car too-a 1963 Corvette Stingray in silver blue.

That Obama is one slick dude. I had expected them to ride in his armored car though.