Comedy Podcasts?

Would you like a tunafished sandwiched?

Sorry for jumping in here so late, but here’s my subs list for comedy, or at least funny, podcasts. Mostly British leaning, with some American stuff thrown in:

The Bugle - John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman talk crap about world events, with terrible puns and made up history

Judge John Hodgman - John Hodgman settles petty/bizarre disputes like a nerdy Solomon

The News Quiz - technically it’s the Friday Night Comedy podcast from the BBC, but the other half (The Now Show) is rubbish.

Adam & Joe: An edited version of the duo’s extremely silly BBC Radio 6 show, currently on hiatus

Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me: A bit like the News Quiz, but American

The Infinite Monkey Cage: Physicist Brian Cox and comedian Robin Ince laugh about science, religion and woo.

Robin and Josie’s Utter Shambles: Comedians Robin Ince and Josie Long laugh about science, religion woo, and sometimes other stuff, with a guest.

Decided I needed a PFT fix and went to grab the Bumbershoot episodes of CbB, figuring $10 for three hours of PFT goodness, especially with Doug Benson and Eugene Mirman, was easily worth it.

Then I saw that instead of one album for $9.99 each episode is listed as a separate album for $3.99 ea on iTunes. I know it’s just two bucks, but fuck, what’s up with bilking fans for two bucks just because they’re using iTunes?

So I got the Eugene Mirman episode and the Doug Benson episode. If the Anthony Jeselnik episode is the funniest of the three I shall never know, I guess.

Of the podcasts you suggested I like this one best so far (excepting ‘Wait Wait’ which I already download). I just listened to “Tear Down This Wall” and it pleased me greatly, in particular Hodgman’s history of the wall in question and his recreation of Gielgud’s Hamlet soliloquy.

I’ve also tried a couple of the Infinite Monkey Cage podcasts but so far the show is a tad too dry for me.

Thanks for the suggestions.

-xtien

I’ve also tried a couple of the Infinite Monkey Cage podcasts but so far the show is a tad too dry for me.

I suppose it could be considered that. Not sure if you mean the science content - it is as much a science podcast as a comedy one - or just the British sense of humour. If it’s the science, you might want to try Utter Shambles, which is heavier on the comedy and lighter on the science.

I just listened to the Doug Loves Movies from Portland, with Jeselnik, Big Irish Jay and Sean someone, and it answered a question I have – yes, sometimes Benson DOES get too high to do a podcast. Holy crap, that sucked.

The whole three inch punch thing was pretty unfunny. Actually, I’m not sure if Big Irish Jay said anything I found to be amusing. Repeatedly referring to Anthony Jeselnik as Anthony Jizzleneck certainly didn’t tickle my funny bone as much as Jay seemed to think it would.

I donno if I’m so overexposed to Cake Boss now that it’s lost its charm, but finding out he’s now both a cakewolf and a cakezombie wasn’t as hilarious as it might seem. Easily made up for by the less Cake Boss more PFT moments (“I’m not good at imitations. I’m more, eeeh, known for broad caricatures.”) and Don DiMello’s truly disturbing production of The Little Mermaid.

If you didn’t buy the one with PFT as Werner Herzog, you really should. I think that was the best of the three.

That one was actually free. The three cost episodes are Mr Brainwash and August Lint, Dame Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber and an Andy Daly character I don’t recognize and Cake Boss with Don DiMello.

I didn’t get the Brainwash/Lint episode. Which is okay, if not great. I don’t care much for Mr Brainwash, though I like Daly’s August Lint character. If it were Ice(d) T instead of Mr Brainwash, I’d probably suck it up and go ahead and get the episode.

The best part about the Werner Herzog character was the realization that nature will destroy us all.

Oops, yeah, you’re right. About the podcasts, and about nature.

The Bugle just keeps getting better and better. Given it’s a Times (Murdoch) publication their stuff around the phone hacking was hilarious and long may Silvio Reign.

The News Quiz - technically it’s the Friday Night Comedy podcast from the BBC, but the other half (The Now Show) is rubbish.

I seem to be the only person who doesn’t actively hate the Now Show, but it is very hit and miss.

Yeah, no kidding. That set the new low* for how wasted Doug has been on a 'cast, from the previous record set by him and Craig Robinson.

• Or should I say… HIGH? Ah-HAH-ha-ha-ha-HEH-heh. Ahem.

The Bugle just keeps getting better and better.

True, although they’ve been having more and more clip shows recently. During Edinburgh, fair enough, but if they’re going to be missing so many shows, couldn’t they at least pre-record some features with The American or something.

So I like How Did This Get Made. I like some of the folks that show up on other Earwolf podcasts. I like science. I haven’t wanted to murder Tig Notaro yet. So I tuned into Professor Blastoff.

Don’t. Do not do this. The sheer volume of bullshit and idiocy that fell out of that dumb bitch’s mouth before I had finished the first five minutes made me physically angry. So now I hate Tig Notaro. It’s criminal that this advertises itself as anything even resembling a science podcast. And, granted I only got through five minutes and it pissed me off straightaway, but it didn’t sound particularly funny for a podcast featuring some allegedly funny people.

Maybe the joke’s on me and this was some weird piece of performance art and six minutes in they give you a “I’M JUST KEEEEEDING,” so they get exactly one more chance with episode 22 to stay off my permanent enemies list, but I am not impressed.

No, I love science podcasts (Science Friday is a staple, for instance). When I said ‘dry’ I was trying to find a polite way of saying ‘not as funny as it thinks it is’…but that’s only so far. I’ll give it a few more chances.

The Judge John Hodgman podcast keeps on giving though. I can’t thank you enough for turning me on to that. I almost had to pull over during the Unbanded Brothers episode.

-xtien

Comedy Button is more of the same. Which is fine by me. When they were talking about skits and such I was really not interested. None of these guys are as clever or witty as the guys behind Superego, so I’m not interested in hearing their take on the theater of the mind. That said, I laughed plenty and am glad to have the guys back on Podcaster.

So DB has acknowledged in at least two places that this ep sucked because he failed to pace himself. So it wasn’t our imagination.

Dude, really? Like her podcast or not (I don’t - it’s pointless and not funny), she’s not dumb and she doesn’t deserve to be called a bitch. Sheesh, talk about nerd rage.

Downloaded and listened to all of Mike Detective tonight. If you love tasteless, juvenile humor, you’re in for a treat. Toss in insane writing that would make Max Payne wince and hell if each episode didn’t provide at least one huge laugh. “You would think I was a carpenter because you wouldn’t believe what I saw.”

“We were like a man who had a hammer for dinner. We were too late.”

On the other hand I listened to the first Apple Sisters and, hey, alert the CDC that someone has refined a cure for laughter. Good lord that was the most grating half an hour since According to Jim got canceled.

Okay. Fears about Max assuaged. I guess they put some chains on him for the Destructoid show. Comedy Button is exactly what I wanted out of it.

Still haven’t had the sack to try Professor Blastoff again. That got me MAGNIFICENTLY pissed off.

I didn’t care much for the first episode of Paul F Tompkins’ new show, Dead Authors. Andy Richter as Emily Dickinson wasn’t nearly as funny as I might have liked. The new one coming out this week is going to feature Superego’s Mark McConville as Aesop. I’m lookin’ forward to it!