Comedy Podcasts?

Holy crap, the Doug Loves Movies Christmas podcast, the one with about a dozen guests, was funny as hell.

This week’s WTF has an interview with Gallagher. Gallagher. You have to hear it to believe it.

Getting caught up on some podcasts, starting with three months of Doug Loves Movies.

Dana Gould fucking killed me when he described Yogi Bear’s plot as being ‘worse than a million 9/11s’. I was driving and just burst out laughing so hard there was a moment where there was a very real possibility of losing control.

I love Smodcast, but my favorite part of Smodcast has always been Scott Mosier more than Kevin Smith. Kevin is funny, but there’s a point where one realizes that his juvenile sense of humor isn’t a part of him, but is basically all there is to him. Scott is so cool and laid back that it rarely really shows just how dumb Kevin can be, but there with Doug Benson and Jimmy Pardo, he seemed completely out of place. He had some gags that worked, but he kept trying to make jokes that went nowhere. And his response to Doug’s “but holy shit” deserved all the mockery he got from his fellow panelists. And god damn it, Kevin, I hate it when guests don’t bother to listen to the show beforehand to learn the rules. You don’t get an exception!

Jeff Garlin and Dave Foley were great, especially when they were bickering about their relative roles with Pixar. Christopher Mintz-Plasse, despite being almost entirely useless, stole the show for me just because he was so enthusiastic about everything! He loved every movie! He loved everyone! He loved all the guests and the questions and the game! And mean ol’ Jeff Garlin just just tearing him down. Such a funny episode. “Uh, who here was in Toy Story 3? Oh yeah, me. We’re winning an Oscar.”

I find this hilarious. Seriously. Maybe it’s just because I’m trapped with it at work, but this never fails to get me laughing. Now, they can be boring, but when they’re on, they’re totally on. Particularly when they deal with Yahoo answers.

Comedy Death Ray just continues to hit it out of the park every week. It’s the most professional, most consistent and least self-indulgent (I’m looking at you, PFT) of the well-known ones out there.

I almost drove off the rode listening to this week’s Doug Loves Movies with Bill Burr. Has anyone ever listened to his Monday Morning Podcast? Is it as funny as he was on DLM?

Okay, according to Facebook, it appears that Scott Aukerman is changing the name of the Comedy Death Ray podcast to “Scott Aukerman’s Comedy Bang! Bang!”

Nosir, I don’t like it. Not one bit.

Not a podcast, but Pandora now has comedy stations if y’all are interested. :)

Listened to the latest Doug Loves Movies.

I honestly never knew that Michael Rooker was apparently retarded.

Yeah, or a serious burnout. Dude barely even remembered his name.

Goddamn, though, Rooker not knowing he was in Sea Of Love killed me.

Anybody else listening to Who Charted? It took me a while to warm up to it, but there’s something weirdly hilarious about how half-assed it is. It’s almost sublime in it’s half-assedness. The recent ones with Brian Poesehn and Paul F. Tompkins make for good samplers if you’re interested.

Hey, I thought I was the only one who liked Who Charted. I didn’t care for the Tompkins episode, though. They seemed to be enjoying themselves a bit too much to the exclusion of the audience. One of my favorite recent episodes was with Brody Stevens, who I don’t know from Adam, but he’s one of those hilariously over-energetic neurotic comics who just fills a room with his neediness.

-Tom

I listened to a couple of episodes of it and just couldn’t get into it. The Zach G. episode was good in spite of the hosts and the material. I doubt they’d get much exposure if Kulap wasn’t married to Scott Aukerman.

This isn’t a strictly a comedy podcast, but I’m putting it here anyway. Every now and then I listen to Mark Maron’s WTF podcast. Every now and then because I can only take him every now and then. But I heard the episode he did with Stephen Tobolowsky recently and it totally bowled me over. It’s gold.

Have any of you folks listened to the Tobolowsky Files podcast?

-xtien

“It’s a doozy.”

Maron is the worst part of that podcast. When I listen I fast forward past his monologues. What a tool. I’ve yet to hear him utter one funny thing.

Maron is the worst part of that podcast. When I listen I fast forward past his monologues. What a tool. I’ve yet to hear him utter one funny thing.

That said he’s a great interviewer, and really gets down into what makes comedians tick. The Louis CK episodes are incredible.

Its true that the interviews are generally great, but he is also getting great guests. And then you get him comparing jack off lubrication with Joe Rogan*.

*who is actually quite interesting, like him or not.

The Joe Rogan podcast revealed that Joe is actually a calm, philosophical guy. I had no idea. The second half of that interview was really strange, too, with Maron repeatedly asking Rogan what it was like to be a sellout, while Rogan kept saying it was fine.

The other WTF podcast I remember is the one with Dave Foley. I didn’t realize how punitive his divorce was, and he was a really cool guy.

Oh, I forgot that one. That Dave Foley episode was very good, but so hard to listen to. So freaking sad.

-xtien