Comedy Podcasts?

That is a problem that crops up in his interviews, when he thinks he is making some sort of point, maybe he thinks its edgy?

His interview with Gallagher was the most blatant example. Maybe Gallagher is a right wing tea-bag nut job (if he is…who cares…its Gallagher) and maybe he makes “gay” jokes, but Maron never links one to the other. He just rides Gallagher for the use of gay jokes until Gallagher leaves. Is Gallagher homophobic? I don’t know Maron never bothered to ask him that, or link the use of gay jokes to Gallagher’s political philosophy.
Its hypocritical as 90% of the comedians he interviews tell gay or race jokes.

The other WTF podcast I remember is the one with Dave Foley. I didn’t realize how punitive his divorce was, and he was a really cool guy.

Yeah, poor Dave, after News Radio you would think he is set. I liked knowing the back story when he alluded to some of that on Doug Loves Movies.

The other must listen WTF is with Carl LaBove who was Sam Kinison’s best friend. Weird, wild stuff.

He’s explained, what he thinks the difference is, on a couple of episodes. There has to be a degree of self-awareness - of creativity - perhaps even something illuminating about a joke that relies on racism or homophobia as a premise. In Gallagher’s case, by his own admittance, he’s not even writing these jokes. He calls them “street jokes.” There is no revelation, just a joke at someone else’s expense.

I’d fully agree with that, and I don’t think his line of questioning with Gallagher was particularly out of line - to me it sounded like he was trying to have an intellectual discussion - and Gallagher, being kind of a moron (despite his scientific background) couldn’t handle it. Gallagher expected to be coddled to, not engaged. Maron wasn’t trying to be Mike Wallace, but his show thrives on understanding comedians on a human level.* I think probably the best example of this is in his interview Judd Apatow or even Robin Williams. Both manage to really paint a human portrait.

As far as the Joe Rogan thing goes, I thought he did get a little self-righteous about that - and Rogan to his credit, was not particularly defensive about it. Or ashamed. I ended up liking Rogan a lot more than I thought I would.

I don’t want to be the Maron defense force - I don’t think he’s the best comedian - and I fully understand why people find him grating. I just happen to relate to his particular neuroses, and am not bothered by the opening rants. I will say his readings of reader-mail on the live episodes - and his exchanges with readers - are genuinely hilarious, both for his delivery and the content.

*This is why it’s a great show.

Speaking of grating, Adam Carolla was on the latest Doug Loves Movies. Holy shit, why do people think he’s funny? Is it just the volume?

Maybe you aren’t his target audience.

He is one of those people who is big in “Real America”

I’m sure people will disagree with you, but I ain’t one of them. I didn’t find the guy funny at all. His ‘I’m hot because I don’t know I’m hot’ schtick wasn’t amusing the first time he said it and then he said it roughly twenty seven thousand more times.

And I was actually kind of annoyed that for his second episode Bald Brian again got fucked over by someone who didn’t want to win the Leonard Maltin Game, just wanted to mess with someone who actually had a chance of winning it. It was funny last time if only because it hadn’t happened before. This time it was just annoying.

All of that was easily made up for by Jerry O’Connell, who had been pretty quiet throughout the episode and stayed out of Adam’s way for the most part, winning and screaming “FOUR FOR FOUR, BITCHES!”

Imagine the existential horror of being Adam Corolla, though. Trapped in a Kafkaesque nightmare where the only way he can make money is to shout meathead “jokes” at a sycophantic audience of morons. He’s like the Rush Limbaugh of podcasting.

And O’Connell is actually smarter and funnier than he gets credit for, but he couldn’t get a word in edgewise because of Carolla’s unfunny, nasal braying.

I really liked O’Connell’s appearance on Carolla’s show a couple months back. You guys can decide on your own whether that’s worth listening to; I normally like Carolla.

Even if you accept that - Mark Maron is the judge? Whoo boy.
90% of the comedians on WTF have told similar jokes in similar circumstances (at a night club) from Gallagher’s hypothetical. Maron does not hold them to the same standard. It is raw hypocrisy.

I’d fully agree with that, and I don’t think his line of questioning with Gallagher was particularly out of line - to me it sounded like he was trying to have an intellectual discussion

We must have listened to different interviews.

Maron didn’t ask questions, he made assertions. He didn’t do the math. I still don’t know if Gallagher is homophobic. Maron never asked him about his views on that. Or his views on anything really.

• and Gallagher, being kind of a moron (despite his scientific background) couldn’t handle it. Gallagher expected to be coddled to, not engaged.

Again, I don’t know, what was in it for Gallagher to stay? Maron could have gone about it by engaging him and asking about his political views, if any, and Gallagher’s views on gay people. They could have had a discussion starting there. Maron did an interesting job with Carlos Mencia for instance. Mencia hung himself with his own rope.

BTW I don’t give two shits about Gallagher, but I don’t think it was the triumph Maron seems to think it was. I’ve heard him bring it up several times in other interviews.

In that I don’t like Maron at all, it is a credit that I still regularly listen to his interviews (fast forward on the Nano until I hear a voice other than his).

Go back in the Doug Loves Movies* archives and find the Carrolla / Patton Oswalt show. It is still one of my favorites. That and anything with TJ Miller on it.

*It might actually be under “I Love Movies” Itunes list them as separate podcasts.

Carolla is at his worst when talking about women and gender relations - see his appearance on the Savage Lovecast - but he can be very funny when he’s doing takedowns of popular culture. This is especially true when he’s on the BS Report. His fake movie pitches like Pedoph Isle are brilliant, and his podcasts about terrible movies like Season of the Witch and Fast 5 have been fun.

Speaking of Carolla and Meron, he was on the WTFcast recently, and I was shocked how terrible his childhood was. It doesn’t excuse his crassness, and he’s certainly offensive, but on the right subject he can be very funny.

Heh - I find TJ Miller almost as annoying as Carolla. Love Patton O, though.

There are four stages to Carolla’s career (that I’ve ever been familiar with) that I have very distinct feelings about.

Stage 1:

Regular Guest on the KROQ morning show hosted by Kevin and Bean. Here Carolla played a cranky handy man called Mr. Birchum (some time around 1995-1997 I think) that would answer caller’s home improvement questions. At the time if you would have suggested that anybody could squeeze in home improvement tips in a comedic morning radio show, and make it work, I’d have balked. But it worked, and the regular segment was a huge hit. Personally, I loved the segment and looked forward to it every day on my way to work.

Carolla was available in small doses, and as such his prolonged rants were shorter and easier to digest.

Stage 2:

Loveline. This is where Carolla was at the height of his ‘funny’ for me. Loveline seemed equally divided into 4 parts, 1 part Dr Drew, 1 Part insane callers, 1 part overwhelmed guest star, and 1 part Carolla.

All Carolla really had to do all day was make fun of the insane callers that had insisted on calling in with the craziest questions, help the guest star feel more at home by breaking down exactly why the callers were not like you and me, and pretty much say all the things the listening audience were thinking about most dumb-shit callers that none of the other people in the studio could really express without coming across as an asshole. This worked really well for him.

Dr. Drew played a good straight-man to Carolla. Because they had famous guests in all the time for Carolla to banter with, the show, although at times dominated by Carolla, was not all about Carolla (or by Carolla & for Carolla). It worked because he was only one part of a much larger machine.

Stage 3:
Crank Yankers (which featured, among many other things, a puppet modeled after Mr Birchum, the cranky old handy man from the KROQ morning show) & The Man Show. I couldn’t stomach either of these enterprises, and spent the duration of both of these endeavors wondering, “What happened to the Adam Carolla I thought was funny?”.

Stage 4:
The Adam Carolla Show & subsequent Podcast. These never worked for me, and I stopped listening shortly after giving each one a shot. My biggest complaint is that there was nobody around to keep Carolla in check. Some of his funniest stuff in years past was when other people would try to reign him in, and to get him to admit how crazy some of his feelings were on certain subjects. he needed a straight-man. These shows have other people sharing the mic with him, but they all play second fiddle, and he dominates them.

There’s nobody around to challenge him when he goes off on a tangent, and instead the audience is left listening to the ‘dumb broad’ that sits across from him laughing at everything he says, and repeating every… fucking… punchline… What he needs here is somebody with a different opinion or spin. Somebody who challenges him, on some level at least. What we’ve got now is Adam and an in-studio mouth-breathing laugh-track.

The Adam Carolla now days sort of reminds me of Gilbert Godfried. He works best in very small doses. Unlike Godfried though, Adam is considered mostly relevant to younger audiences and gets a lot more attention, and freedom to say and do as he pleases. Sure, in the past he’s been taken to task over certain disparaging remarks he’s made, but that’s okay for him because it’s what his core audience wants anyway.

In my opinion Adam Carolla is too big. Relatively unknown hosts like Doug Benson can’t contain him, because, really… who the fuck is Doug Benson, and who fucking cares? Adam has found himself in a place where listeners follow him around, and it doesn’t matter if he wrecks a show, because it’s what they want.

It’s definitely true Carolla overly dominates his show. He actually had several rotating guest sidekicks on for months during a trial period while he tried to settle on a final one. Naturally, he settled on the current Alison Rosen, who, like her predecessor, is funny, but knows she has to play second banana to keep her boss happy. She even looks like her predecessor!

Current:

Previous:

So, I still love the show and listen to every episode, but I can still tell when the sidekick’s holding it in.

Kerzain’s take is spot on. There was a big difference between the podcast and his morning zoo syndicated show however.

The morning show was terrible for reasons that had little to do with Carolla. The mindset of his boss was very Morning Zoo. The height of that was firing Dameshek (who is funny but needs a new schtick) and forcing Danny Boneduce down Adam’s throat. I stopped listening at that point.

I’ll always kinda like him due to how much I liked his Loveline days. I’m glad he has been able to make a go of it with the podcast but he really does need a straight man who can restrain him. I still listen on occasion but only when there is a guest I want to hear.

I can wholeheartedly recommend his movie “The Hammer”, especially as a date flick however. It really should be a staple on Comedy Central. I think the intricacies of motion picture distribution have served the potential audience for The Hammer poorly in this case.

That first TJ Miller show was so great, and a perfect one to bring up when talking about the last show with Carolla on it. If memory serves all TJ Miller did was get in the way of Doug trying to do his little show about movies by going off on all kinds of tangents, the difference being that TJ Miller was freaking hilarious while doing it. Obnoxious but hilarious. Doug would beg, cajole and demand he pull back so they could do the show but TJ Miller just barrelled forward seeming totally clueless and I suddenly found myself feeling better about Cloverfield, of all things.

I think at the end Doug basically suggested he’d never be on the show again, which turned out not to be true. Not sure if this was part of some schtick, or if Doug was smart enough to realize how well it worked out in spite of it being frustrating. I think they’ve done other live gigs together too.

Or it’s possible I’m blowing the whole thing out of proportion.

As far as Adam Carolla’s last appearance is concerned, it sounded to me like he was demonstrably drunk which made him extra annoying and unable to give up on his idiotic bit about why he was hot because he didn’t know he was hot. He was obnoxious while just being a boor.

-xtien

“I don’t know! Something else! Also terrible!”

Doug is very anal about some things, which is probably how he is able to get a lot of things done while being a horrific stoner. He got super angry at the audience and Miller, which was hilarious. I’m glad he changed his mind and let Miller back on.

When he couldn’t drink his beer on the Man Show in front of the audience, i knew it was all downhill from there. Sure enough, the Man Show split apart a couple months later (though it was a gag that had run it’s course by then anyway).

He’d probably do well on a morning “gang” talk show like Opie and Anthony (and Jimmy). Corrola’s problem is that he’s bordering that dangerous age where he can quickly fade into irrelevancy in just a few years (see Paul Reiser).

While I thought the “hot but don’t know it” riff was not funny and Adam drove it straight into the ground, as is his habit. But I didn’t think the episode was as bad as all that.

There were some dead spots and maybe some weird energy.

Anyway, in the interest of balance I present one of the funnier bits of animation to hit the internet since a caveman asked how babby is formed.

(Note the presence of a comedic sidekick and straightman - Abbot never got enough credit.)

Romeo and Drewliet