Comedy Podcasts?

Well, not really. It’s usually over an hour, but they cut it off at twenty minutes for the free version.

And unsubscribed!

So the paid version, is the ‘never not funny’ part in the last forty minutes or something?

Like Aquarian, i discovered the Superego podcast through the AV Club. I downloaded a bunch for a business road trip earlier this week, and it might be my new favorite. In terms of laughs per minute, it’s a bit more consistent than CBB. PFT has finally grown on me a bit. I tried How Was Your Week, but i found Julie Klausner way too annoying.

Don’t bother with Uh Yeah, Dude.

Sometimes. Pardo’s got a very abrasive persona - he’s sort of doing a modern take on Rickles, minus the racism - so the podcast (and Pardo’s comedy generally) lives and dies on how much you like that whole style of insult comedy. I personally go in spurts with it - if there’s a guest I like, or somebody who I know works well with him, I’ll buy the occasional ep, but it’s not something I feel compelled to listen to every single week.

That said, his 'casts with Conan O’Brien were hilarious. I think he released a recent one for free; if so, that’s totally worth listening to. (Pardo’s day job is working as Conan’s warm-up, if you didn’t know.)

It’s too bad he couldn’t ever get some of his game shows up as a more regular podcast. He was semi-famous for a revival of The Match Game as a live game show - if you poke around YouTube you can see some footage - and he was great.

I’ll drop in here and plug The Apple Sisters. Faux variety radio show set in 1943.

Episode 1 is probably still the best, especially PFT as FDR. There are a few jokes that get recycled from ep to ep, but the 'cast is at its best when the girls riff and/or somebody flubs a line.

I nearly killed myself last night having picked the Comedy Bang Bang episode with Dave Cross as the background while doing some weight lifting. When Dave started getting angry during Hollywood Facts (“Take your diiiick.”) I laughed at an inopportune time. I’m sure Dave figured out it was a bit long before Scott told him, but when he was told that Ariel did the Shoop song in the movie Mermaids he and Rubin seemed genuinely flummoxed. It was great.

Also, the increasing incredulity to the life choices made by Sam the Ultimate Frisbee Enthusiast.

The Superego bit taking place in a trophy store has got to be the best sketch they’ve done so far.

Superego ep 3:5, with the Lavergne Family Dinner and Shunt McGuppin serenading an ex-girlfriend in Bed Bath & Beyond, might be my favorite single installment so far. It also has HR Giger.

I wasn’t wholly sold on Superego 'til I got to the Bed, Bath & Beyond sketch.

Edit: The HR Giger bits were funny enough they got me to look up the actual HR Giger to see if he had a kid for whom he designed cacoon sacs to sleep in. Kind of terrifying, really. I had no idea that HR Giger was the real world inspiration for the bad guy from The Da Vinci Code.

Noticed that my recent consumption of new shows caused my Podcaster playlist to balloon to 950 megs. That’s a whole lot! So I went in and started looking at them to find that each episode of the Pod F Tompcast, despite only being an hour to an hour and a half in length, weighs in at around 120 to 140 megs. What the what, Paul? Ask your buddies Doug and Scott how they can do podcasts that are one half to one quarter the size of yours per minute, then do that.

A real best-of-worst-of week. On Tuesday I listened to last week’s Comedy Bang Bang with Adam Scott and a couple of writers from Parks and Recreation. The anti-humor of the characters who work at the lumber yard was just killing me. Just when I think I’ve had the hardest laugh I’ll have in some time, Scott Aukerman and his guests come in to nail it. CBB isn’t, on average, the funniest podcast I listen to, but its highs are so much higher than anyone else’s.

Then on to last week’s Smodcast, Rise of the Planet of the Bears. Easily the worst Smodcast I’ve heard in a long, long time. All about cruelty to animals and animal attacks on people. It pairs an unenjoyable subject matter with Kevin’s typical ignorance about every subject. Every now and again even Scott seemed to sound annoyed when Kev would go off on some stoner tangent about desalinization and sharks eating peoples’ hands. Guys, talk a bit before you get out on the radio and come up with a subject that will lend itself to some jokes. Girls being eaten alive by bears while they’re narrating their own death via a series of phone calls are not traditionally a real comedy crowd pleaser.

That episode was amazing. The turn of them both sleeping with each other’s wives who are both sisters was inspired. I fail to understand how Adam Scott isn’t like Tom Cruise level famous by now.

Other good stuff from this week: Doug Benson’s three Doug Loves Movies 'casts from Bumbershoot are insanely hilarious - might be the best run of shows he’s ever podcasted. It’s too funny to spoil any of the stuff here, but seriously, go check them out.

Do those cost?

I was considering buying the one where he admitted to getting so blackout drunk he doesn’t remember how it ends, but it’s hard to figure out what is what using the iPhone’s implementation of iTunes at times and I didn’t feel like buying the wrong show.

Those three are free. Don’t know about the drunk one. Usually the ones where he and his guests are messed up are not the best ones IMO. (unless Jeff Garlin is messed up all the time, then I recant the above statement.)

Nope, the three Bumbershoots are all free. FREE!

I ponied up for the blackout 'cast. It’s something else. The backstory is that his plane was late getting to Baltimore, so didn’t have time to eat - he literally left the airport and went directly onstage, at which point the audience (who was also hammered, as they had nothing else to do while waiting for him) started feeding him shots. He claims he blacked out halfway through, although he’s still more together than Amy Schumer, who might be the single filthiest comic I’ve ever heard onstage.

I can’t quite recommend it because it really is a massive trainwreck, but its pretty fascinating to listen to in a comedy-nerd, I-can’t-believe-he-actually-released-this way.

Well, I just bought one labeled Live in the Pacific Northwest from August 23rd. 2010. Whoops.

…and also I just realized that I have those three episodes from Bumbershoot DLed and didn’t realize it. That’s $1.99 I won’t see again.

Oh well. I also paid for the Tournament of Championships and it was well worth the cash and this thing from last year gets 5 stars, so maybe it’s a-mah-zing?

(Looking at these three new ones, Scott Aukerman and Paul F Tompkins? Yes please! Would it be better if the third one also featured Cake ‘The Buddy Valastro’ Boss? Oh yes.)

Scott is uncharacteristically boring, and I though Cakeboss doesn’t actually appear, it’s a pretty close call. I forgot all about the Tournament of Championships… I will have to give in and pick that up.

Paul F. Tompkins visit to DLM includes a pretty hilarious bit on Jeffrey Wright’s IMDB biography.

Most definitely.

So Aukerman did three one-hour CBB shows at Bumbershoot; all three had PFT and Andy Daly and are for sale at about $10 for the bunch. Worth it?

This is really good. I’m a big fan of Brian Cox to begin with (who isn’t?) and he’s a funny guy to boot. They seem to have a good mix as you’ve said, and I was genuinely laughing out loud at some points. Cox can take a joke as well.

Thanks for pointing this one out.

Podcaster crashes if I search for the Eardrop podcast. Nothing else. Just Eardrop. Every time.

Is it trying to protect me?