Comic Book Recommendations

Marvel Star Wars sale through 7/24. Includes Gillen’s excellent Darth Vader and the Vader Down tie-in issues.

The main Star Wars book is pretty good, and the Princess Leia mini is okay. Haven’t read the Kanan book, I think it connects to the Rebels TV show.

Oh, nice, I’ve been waiting for Vader to go on sale.

Edit: Weird, they’ve only put the single issues on sale, not the TPBs.
Edit 2: Never mind, they’ve updated the prices now.

After looking up the Flintstones thanks to your post I learned there is Future Quest! Wow all my childhood favorites. I mean the Herculoids and Space Ghost and Johnny Quest and his side kick/adopted brother Hadji! I am going to have to try this!

The Unbelievable Gwenpool book is pretty great. I think the character started as a gag; when Spider-Gwen was introduced and super-popular all the sudden, I think Gwenpool was basically just a design on an alternate cover for Deadpool or something.

But that character ended up getting her own backstory which turned into a book now about a girl Gwen from the “real” world who gets sucked into a comic book. So while Deadpool breaks the fourth wall by knowing he’s in a comic book, Gwenpool both knows she’s in a comic, but is also from that real world the comic exists in, or something. So she’s breaking the fifth wall? Her only power is that she can manipulate most situations to her advantage because she recognizes all the comic tropes. Turns out that can be pretty effective.

In any case, the art is charming, the writing is funny, and the real-world-person in a comic book using comic rules to her advantage is a clever variation on Deadpool’s shtick. I recommend it!

Big Image sale on Comixology. Single issues 99 cents. Collections mostly $5.

Recommended:
The Wicked + The Divine
Descender
God Hates Astronauts
Low
Monstress
Rat Queens
Sex
Sex Criminals
Skullkickers
They’re Not Like Us
Velvet
Wayward

Interesting:
I Hate Fairlyand
Birthright
Deadly Class
No Mercy
Morning Glories
Oddly Normal
Paper Girls
The Bounce

Has anyone ever used a regular kindle (voyager, paperwhite, eINK type) to read manga?

I would like to try but not sure if it would be too small on the regular type of kindle. But since they bought Comixicology was thinking they may have the frame by frame functionality available.

I thought we had a manga thread but I cannot get search to find anything it just spins and spins so thought this might be a good place to ask.

Not a comic, but about comics. Recommended, especially at $2:

https://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Comics-Untold-Sean-Howe-ebook/dp/B00DG292XK?_bbid=2318717&tag=bookbubemailc-20

IDW half-off sale this weekend on comixology. Don’t forget the code “IDW” for the discount. Includes some Top Shelf books as well.

Recommended:
Locke & Key
Superf*ckers – A clever anthology about a drama-prone young super-team. (Look at Kolchaka’s cover art – if you think its fun and charming you’ll know whether it’s worth your 4 bucks. If you think it’s silly and cartoonish, keep surfing.)
Box Office Poison and Too Cool To Be Fogotten
Chicacabra
Star Trek Starfleet Academy – Mostly for Trek nerds, but it’s well done.

Image Humble Bundle is up.

The $1 and $5 tiers are just some number ones, but the $10 tier has a lot of good first volume trades: Bitch Planet, Rat Queens, The Strange Talent of Luther Strode, Morning Glories, and 10 more. Lots of reading for less than a buck a trade.

The $15 tier has 13 more trades, including Birthright, Descender, East of West, and Sex Criminals (I’m only naming the ones I have read and would recommend). 56 cents per trade!

The $20 tier has 8 more trades, including the second volumes of Descender and East of West, and the first volumes of Saga, I Hate Fairyland, and The Wicked + the Divine.

Gah, I have the first volumes of most of those already. I want the most recent trades! And I just bought Kill Or Be Killed last week. Still might do the $20 tier for The Descender Vol 2.

Marvel is having a pretty big sale on Amazon right now. Lots of stuff on discount.

Pretty awesome sale. Snatched a few trade paper backs for like $2!!

Is Civil War any good?

No, but this is: mightygodking.com/i-dont-need-your-civil-war/

Jim Lee started making a name itself with Punisher, before he did X Men. I can’t seem to find any tradepaper back collecting this work. Does anyone know what’s it’s call?

The title was Punisher War Journal. I don’t think there were any trade paperbacks from his run on the title.

Thanks man! This is it. $5!!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LVVYXUK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496662264&sr=1-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=punisher+war+journal&dpPl=1&dpID=51-nlgKddPL&ref=plSrch

Comixology/Amazon/DC dropped the price on a bunch of Comixology/Kindle editions of Wonder Woman volumes for the movie release.

This is the 14-issue 1986 run from George Perez. This reframing of the character as an Amazonian warrior set against Ares is the basis of most modern interpretations of Wonder Woman.

Greg Rucka’s 2016 Rebirth reboot vol 1 contains “Hiketeia” which many consider one of the best single issue stories for Wonder Woman

Greg Rucka’s Rebirth vol 2 gives Wonder Woman a “Year One” origin story.

Did anyone here purchase any comic book from this link? I bought a few and receive an email from amazon giving me one free comic from the said catalogue. But clicking on the free link does not apply any promo code to zero-rise the cost. I’m not sure if it’s a scam or they will apply the code after 1-Click goes through.

Applied after hitting 1-click.

Ahhh great, so it’s legit then. Thanks!