Comic Book Recommendations

It would appear that I have a gift link to the Best of Fantagraphics Humble Comics Bundle. Anyone who would be interested in the bundle, let me know and lets say on Friday evening 10:00 PM CST I’ll draw a name (if there is more than one person interested) and send that person the gift link.

Graphic novel “Maus” is definitely worth reading
https://www.amazon.com/Maus-Survivors-Tale-Art-Spiegelman/dp/0141014083

Tomorrow I will travel well out of my way in an attempt to purchase Paper Girls from a local store. Written by Brian K. Vaughan, who created Saga, Y: The Last Man and Runaways. Art by Cliff Chiang.

NPR review: http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2016/07/27/487602000/kids-on-bikes-the-sci-fi-nostalgia-of-stranger-things-paper-girls-super-8

Amazon link for the lazy or comic-shop-deprived:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C3GD1X6

Give it some time. I wasn’t entirely convinced after Vol 1, but I’m loving it now.

I agree. Usually Vaughan hits the ground running, but the first few issues of this book didn’t gel into a compelling whole. I think part of it is that Vaughan usually does not hide the premise of his books, the usual method is laying it all out up front and back-filling details. The slow reveal is not his usual style.

I ended up bailing on the new Rat Queens. I LOVED Tess Fowler’s art. The new artist looks like the coloring is done in pencil. The story hasn’t been all that good, and coupled with the art ,I stopped getting it.

I haven’t bailed yet, but I think I’m going to. I’ve been meaning to refresh my pull list anyway and it’s really not grabbing me any more. I really need to cut off The Walking Dead, too.

Amazon is re-doing that crazy Marvel sale again.

Leaning towards getting Hickman’s Fantastic Four run, and some other random items.

I could never separate the people from the art after Tess left and kind of gave up on it.

So what new comics/runs are people enjoying? My list is thinning out after quite a few series ended or petered out (looks like Uber is getting close to ending too).

Have you read

Empty Zone (’ Corinne White attempts to reconcile with the ghosts of her violent past, literally, as she trudges through a world of dystopian cityscapes, reanimated corpses, & ganglands full of animal human hybrids.’) or

Orbital (‘In the 23rd century, humans and Sandjarrs are allowed to join an intergalactic multiracial organisation set up 8,000 years before. The humans are seen as a belligerent, underdeveloped race by the other members of the organisation and have been kept out of it until now. The Sandjarrs had stayed out of interplanetary politics until a war between themselves and the humans broke out. Now Caleb, a human, and Mezoke, a Sandjarr, are paired up and trained as special agents to keep the intergalactic peace. This is a controversial and historic alliance, and a lot of people are watching them. Their first mission is to keep war from breaking out between humans and Javlodes on the planet Senestam.’).

Both of which have been excellent to date.

Just read Kaijumax Season 1. It’s really fun, if a bit on the nose. Though it has a weird aversion to real swearing, given the ostensible darkness of its subject matter. Partly it seems to be a facet of the invented jail slang, but I’m wondering if another part isn’t an aping of the norms of mainstream TV.

Humble has a bundle up currently with a whole bunch of Jeff Lemire’s books on it. For $15, you can get Essex County, Underwater Welder, the first 6 volumes of Descender and a bunch of other stuff.

That reminds me, I need to start Ascender

Have you read Gideon Falls yet?

I’m doing some traveling and just signed up for a month of ComiXology Unlimited. Anyone have recommendations to help make the most of it?

• Open to any genre.
  • I’d prefer full, self-contained stories rather than “first hit’s free” samples, but willing to make an exception if something is sufficiently great.
  • I’m familiar with characters from movies, but am close to a blank slate in terms of actual comic reading (Sandman, Watchmen, and Scott Pilgrim are about the extent of what’s been thrust into my hands sufficiently forcefully).
  • Bonus points for anything my daughters can enjoy. Age 9, (advanced reader; loves MCU so I grabbed some related-looking titles) and 4 (got some My Little Pony books so far).

Thanks!

I’m not entirely sure what’s available as full stories - when I last looked in detail there was very little that was more than just the first trade or equivalent, but I think that’s changed over the last year. I can have a look again once I finish work.

That said, there are some series where the first run is fairly self-contained, and the best - eg Runaways, or Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing

Yeah, I got that impression in initial browsing, but there seem to be at least some exceptions. And I’m fine with the characters having other adventures before or after what’s included, as long as it doesn’t feel like half a story. I’ll check out Swamp Thing and Runaways, thanks!

Atomic Robo! Great fun for all ages. It looks like almost all the collected editions are on Comixology Unlimited.

Or you could just go to the website. It’s been free online for a while now.