Comic Book Recommendations

Oh man Stray Bullets is one of the options if you pay more than the average. Great series if you are into noir comics. I see there’s a lot of love for Saga but is anyone else here reading Prophet? I get a very big Incal feeling from it which is a good thing in my book.

Image recommendation seconded. All the ones RickH names are great and in my pull list.

On vacation last week – here’s what I read:

RECOMMENDED:

The Midas Flesh (Boom) - What if King Midas was weaponized by a space pirate? Clever, colorful art and a story that stayed engaging over all 8 issues.
Invincible (Image) - The last couple of years of Kirkman’s 100-issue-plus superhero saga still works, he manages to use the freedom of an independent comic to keep the story twisting and turning, yet not devolve into pointless character-killing like Bendis does.
Sex Criminals (Image) - What if orgasms stopped time for you? What if it did for other people, too? The series is only 10 issues in, and it’s had to do a lot of world-building to set up the conflicts (both external and internal, with an interesting handling of mental illness) but it’s running the risk of spinning its wheels and going nowhere. Still, funny and clever and nicely drawn.
The Life After (Oni Press) - What if Heaven and Hell weren’t as well-managed as we thought, and someone was glitching the system? This is a neat concept with lots of big kinda-religious kinda-bureaucratic ideas kicking around and an afterlife version of Ernest Hemmingway as one of the characters.
The Wicked + The Divine (Image) - What if all of those pagan gods visited the Earth every 90 years, and their current visit was right now? This is so damn good.
Uber (Avatar) - What if WWII was fought with super-enhanced humans? Gillen’s other book is not as compelling or as engaging as TW+TD (or as well-drawn), but it’s a neat alt-history piece. NOTE: If you aren’t familiar with Avatar’s books, you should be aware that on-page sex & violence are pretty much mandatory.
Copperhead (Image) - It’s a space western! There’s a new sherrif in town, and she brought her son. Now she has to manage the conflicts between the residents of this podunk planet and deal with the consequenses of her past decisions as a law enforcer.
All-New X-Factor (Marvel) - Peter David’s second X-Factor run finally ended, 20 issues after a reboot. Nobody has ever handled these X-Men characters as well. He even fixed Quicksilver.

NOT QUITE RECOMMENDED:

The Humans (Image) - What if Planet of The Apes was a '70s version of Sons of Anarchy with no Charlton Heston and a bit of Vietnam PTSD thrown in? It’s not rising above its concept, which it’s trying to play straight rather than jokey. But all that ends up being is a period piece with apes in the lead roles. Not sure if I’m going to stay with it past the 4 issues I’ve read thus far.
Father’s Day (Dark Horse) - What if your dad had a really really good reason to abandon you as a child? A mob-related reason. Reasonably well-done, but the story’s basically a straight line and feels like an adapted movie script.
Earth 2 - World’s End & New 52 - Future’s End (DC) - I find DC’s weekly series to be interesting experiments, but I don’t think anyone who isn’t steeped in New-52 continuity or a huge fan of multiverse stories would want anything to do with these. Especially since Future’s End spoils a lot of World’s End’s story beats. Still, these appear to be setting the stage for the Convergence event coming up soon.
Pride and Prejudice (Marvel) - Yep, a comic-book adpatation of the Jane Austen book. 5 issues is enough to deliver the plot, but I felt like I was reading the illustrated Cliff’s Notes. Interested in reading the novel now, though.

The Wicked + The Divine (Image) - What if all of those pagan gods visited the Earth every 90 years, and their current visit was right now? This is so damn good.

Yes! For some reason I only found out about this a few weeks ago. If you liked Phonogram at all, you have to read it. Even if you didn’t, read it.

I liked the first few issues of Wicked + The Divine, then it started to feel like it was wandering all over the place. I haven’t given up on it yet though. Sex Criminals is great, and is now being made into a tv series by the creator.

I’m currently following Grant Morrison’s Multiversity series wherever I can pick them up in one of London’s few remaining comic shops. If you’re into the uber-epic vast scale stuff, this delivers. The issues are like puzzle pieces, I’ve only got two plus the first “bookend” issue (which is essential, as it gives a roll call of the various characters from the 52 worlds), but it looks like it’s going to be following the same series of events from different angles, with different teams of superheroes from different Earths called together to dispatch the cosmic villain du jour. Not a new concept, but with Morrison it’s just got that extra, mind-blowing fun factor.

Half-off IDW books on Comixology today and tomorrow [5/21 - 5/22], with checkout code IDW. The entire (well-reviewed) 6-volume Locke & Key series can be had for less than $40. Lots of licenced books like GI Joe, Godzilla, Orphan Black, Star Trek, Judge Dredd, X-Files, and Transformers

Recommended:

Chicacabra, a graphic novel about loss, redemption, and moving forward with a mystical twist. Tom Beland (True Story, Swear to God) does simple, emotional, and charming work. Worth the $5. Note that the art is black & white if that’s an issue for you.

Empire, Mark Waid and Barry Kitson’s book about the intrigues after a super-villain takes over the world.

Interesting, but not for everyone:

Starstruck, Elaine Lee and Michael Wm. Kaluta’s book about crazy future stuff, adapted from a stage play, IIRC. Originally released by Marvel’s creator-owned Epic line with restored artwork by Kaluta. Strong female characters from a female writer before anyone cared to vocalize about such things. A truly unique book, I bought the series back in the day and the restored hardcover when it was released.

Indestructible. In a world where super-heroes are celebrities, is it OK to let people assume that you have superpowers? I had the distinct feeling that the main character and his roomate were written with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost in mind. Recycled script or fanboy love, I can’t quite tell, but a neat take on superheroics.

Locke & Key is magnificent, and that’s a LOT of story for just $40.

Apparently there’s a new Dirk Gently comic book, of all things. Anyone dared read it? Seems like it would almost certainly be terrible. Though the sadly not renewed BBC miniseries was pretty great.

Those humble bundles really are a gateway drug. They get you sucked in-I’m looking at you Locke and Key, and needing more. That being said I’m too cheap to spend as much as I would need to finish buying up all of the series I’m enjoying. I don’t remember who but someone here recently posted about Scribd’s subscription service and it’s awesome. It’l like Netflix for Books, Comics and Audiobooks. As usual YMMV when it comes to content but for me I was able to finish Locke and Key, The Boys and a couple other Joe Hill comics The Cape and The Wraith:Welcome to Christmasland. It’s been well worth it for me. There are some oddities too though like they have the 3rd volume of League of Extraordinary Gentleman but not the first two. I’ve also had one book where the it seemed like a goofy scan where the page sort of seemed formatted strangely. It’s like you got a little of the preceding pages border included, it’s hard to describe and nothing was missing it just was odd.

Here are some of the ones I’ve really enjoyed.

All the Joe Hill ones mentioned.

The Boys-This was really awesome. Others have mentioned it and written a synopsis so I’ll just leave it at that.

Jennifer Blood- After enjoying Garth’s work on the Boys I moved to this. I’ve only just started the second volume but it’s really good too. It’s about a housewife by day and female Mack Bolan (aka vigilante type) by night. At first I wasn’t quite sure what to make of it but it really goes in some great directions. It had sort of a Kill Bill vibe to it too. The first volume was really self contained so I was interested to see where it went next and it hasn’t been disappointing.

The Midas Flesh- Mentioned earlier I also really like this one. It started kind of slow for me but wow it took off and was an excellent read. It’s cool how the premise is really taken to a logical conclusion.

6 Gun Gorilla- Another one I got in a Humble bundle. Super cool story with a really neat reveal and finale. I absolutely loved the art especially the holes the 6 gun blows in people/things. I know it sounds bloodthirsty but it was a cool effect.

Walking Dead- I don’t think I need to say a lot about this one. I’ve only read up to 48 or whatever was in the compendium. I was a little disappointed at first. The writing felt really bad and I was a little disappointed. After a few issues though it seemed to tighten up or I just learned to ignore it. The best thing about reading this one is if you’ve been watching the show prepare to be shocked by changes in character behaviors and story lines.

I picked up the Sin City and Infinity Gauntlet hardcovers last year but haven’t gotten around to reading them yet.

99-cent Image sale until 7/6.

Recommended:

Bitch Planet: Women in prison – IN SPACE! They aren’t going to put up with that. Clever story by Kelly Sue Deconnick and dynamic art.

Wayward: A girl leaves her Irish father to live with her Japanese mother in Tokyo, discovers mystic abilities and a band of outsiders with the same connections. Fun American take on manga-style themes by Jim Zub (Skullkickers).

Copperhead: A law-woman with a past takes her son to a frontier planet with plenty of its own issues.

And lots of other interesting things I haven’t read.

Image Skybound imprint sale until 7/12. Includes Invincible, The Walking Dead, Clone, and Thief of Theives. 25 first issues are available for free.

Usually I let these things slide, but Manifest Destiny is in this sale. I recently read the first dozen issues, and this book is crazy. Lewis & Clark as monster hunters in the unexplored lands of North America. Well-written and genuinely creepy. Grab the first issue and see what you think.

Brian K Vaughan has a new series out, We Stand On Guard. Basically 100 years from now the world has devolved into wars over water and the US has invaded Canada. First issue is very much establishing the dramatis personae, but it’s promising so far and I’ve never read a bad thing by Vaughan.

Oni Press half-off sale through 7/27. Lots of good stuff.

RECOMMENDED (in descending order):

Princess Ugg. I didn’t care for the art in Ted Naifeh’s Courtney Crumrin books (especially the noseless shpere-headed lead character), but the style changes are dramatic and the story is great fun. A princess from a warrior culture goes to princess finishing school in another land and has to deal with the mean girls. More fun than I’ve made it sound thus far.

The Sixth Gun. Cullen Bunn made his name on this mystic western with clean but expressive art from Brian Hurtt. A man of unspeakable evil (of course) controls five of the six weapons (each of which has its own biblical-level powers) that together could unlock control of reality itself. The sixth gun is now in the hands of an innocent young lady who has to grow up fast.

Letter 44. A new president takes office and discovers that the military buildup he was criticizing on the campaign trail was actually something very different. Leaving-Earth different.

The Bunker. A group of four friends finds messages to themselves from the future in the titular bunker. Serious things ensue. Joshua Hale Fialkov has had a lot of interesting books lately, and this is one of his better ones, along with The Life After.

I’ve also heard good things about Queen and Country, Stumptown, and Kaijumax, but haven’t read them. The Rick & Morty book is actually pretty decent if you are a fan of the show (I had my doubts). Scott Pilgrim is now in color, but if you haven’t read it by now, I don’t know that this will change your mind.

Queen and Country is fantastic. Some of the best (realistic) spy thriller stuff I’ve ever encountered, short perhaps of the 70s TV show The Sandbaggers, which was a major inspiration for Queen and Country.

I enjoyed The Bunker for the first few issues, but it has become so confusing that I gave up. It’s probably one that is best to wait for trades to read all at once. Thanks for the other recommendations though.

Is Marvel’s Civil War considered any good?

I don’t read Marvel, I don’t really like Marvel, but I figured since they’re the only ones putting out non-shitty movies and series maybe I’d give them a try. Figured I’d read Civil War as it sounded slightly interesting and may provide insight into where the movies are headed.

It was dumb. SHIELD named their shock troops “Cape-Killers.” Really? Though, the art was really good.

So, it it considered good by Marvel fans, or just noted for being a turning point in where Marvel was taking their storylines at the time?

No. In fact, people routinely made fun of it.

See, for example, Mightygodking’s beautiful page by page, speech bubble by speech bubble rewrite:

Here’s a huge list of comic recommendations from a reviewer I trust.

http://atopfourthwall.blogspot.com/2...ations-20.html

I also have some recommendations of my own.

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

This story was written by Alan Moore as what was to be the “last Superman story” before DC rebooted their universe in “Crisis on Infinite Earths.” All of Superman’s villains get dangerous, with Superman’s loved ones being killed and even his identity being revealed to everyone at the Daily Planet. I admit it’s slightly off putting since it’s not very stand alone like All Star Superman, but if you know enough of Superman’s general mythos you’ll get through it very easily, and the villain behind everything and the confrontation that follows makes for an excellent climax

Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?

Second verse, similar to the first. Written by Neil Gaiman, this tells the story of how Batman finally died in his one man war on crime, leading to his friends and villains talking about the impact Batman had on their lives. If no more Batman comics were written again, this comic would make that okay

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, Supergirl, and Super/Bat

This is a series where Superman and Batman star, giving a unique look to the two’s relationship by having both of them give narration. In Public Enemies, President Luthor (I know, just go with it) manages to make both heroes public enemy number 1, Supergirl has Superman try to let his newly arrived cousin live life against the wishes of Batman and Wonder Woman, and Super/Bat has Superman lose his powers only to have them transferred to Batman. Out of the three stories, Super/Bat is the only one that does not have a collector’s edition, so you’ll have to buy issues 53-56 on your own.

Spider-Man & Batman

Yeah, there are two stories where these two team up. First one involves Carnage and the Joker breaking out of prison, second involves Ra’s Al Ghul acquiring The Kingpin’s help in bringing about the end of the world. The crossover idea is great because Spider-Man simultaneously fills in the “Robin job” of bringing light-heartedness to Batman’s dark persona, but he’s never overshadowed by Batman and both get to save the day.

Superman: Birthright

One of the best Superman origin stories out there. Notable aspects I immensely enjoyed were the increasd roles of Lara-El and Martha Kent, Superman becoming a hero because he wants to be a hero rather than anyone telling him of his great importance (no influence from Johnathan Kent or Jor-El), and giving plausible explanations for both the Clark Kent disguise and why Lex would not equate Superman and Clark ESPECIALLY since they were childhood friends.

Superman Last Son

This story is of special note as it was co-written by Superman 1&2 director Richard Donner. Another boy from Krypton lands on Earth and Clark and Lois and Clark take him in as their son, Christopher Kent. The story also features an invasion by Zod, Ursa, and Non, all of whom have more characterization than they did in Superman 2.

Lex Luthor: Man of Steel

Admittedly, I’m cheating as I’ve not read it yet, but I do own it and the premise is so good I pretty much have to. It’s set in the mainstream DC universe and told from the POV of Lex Luthor, with the goal of showcasing Luthor’s more humanist traits.

Thanks!

I’m currently reading Superman: For Tomorrow and it’s great. Hopefully it doesn’t turn to crap.

The best Superman stories are those that explore his challenges as a God amongst men.

"They say I’m faster than a speeding bullet, and I am. But sometimes it’s not fast enough. "