Comic Book Recommendations

I loved the Boys it was awesome. Depending on if you want to just read them or own them I read through the series on Scribd and I think it’s only $8.99 a month. I’m just too cheap to justify spending that much per book to buy usually.
Speaking of which I think we need another good Humble comics bundle. I wish I would have picked up the Walking Dead one since I’m currently stuck waiting on a deal on the 2nd compendium or I need to pick up the 3rd Omnibus. Damn I’m falling way behind, I see the 3rd compendium comes out next month and the 6th Omnibus in December.

That’s interesting, how big a selection of comics do they have?

They’ve got quite a bit, in particular I read through all the Locke and Key, Jennifer Blood (super cool ) read a few books of 30 Days of Night, Wormwood. They had some other Joe Hill like The Cape and The Wraith. I just looked at the publisher list and a coupe of the big ones I noticed were Boom, Dynamite IDW and Valiant. they have some Marvel stuff too but limited. Most of the series I’ve found have all the books but a few like League of Extraordinary Gentleman start in the middle.

Today I was reading the book thread and Tin Wisdom recommended Ex-heroes (non comic though) and I thought damn that sounds cool I checked and it was there and in my Queue now. I love how its just Netflix for Books and comics. If you’re into Audio books they have those too but they just limited the access to those.

I’ve found my city library to be a pretty good source of audiobooks as well, including purely digital access. I suppose I’ve already paid for that sub.

Why is DC still nuts for Frank Miller?

That’s some sub-Liefeld level shit there. Remember when Miller could draw the hell out a page?

Kurt Busiek tweeted a defense Miller’s work. Probably worth reading, either in the interest of fairness, or for the added entertainment value of this as an earnest tweet:

I assumed Miller’s art was on purpose. I just think it looks terrible and it’s a perfect summation of everything I think is bad about Frank Miller’s work in general.

Well, it usually happened when Klaus Janson was inking him.

That is true. Janson was maybe the best inker in the business.

Half-price Image collections sale for NYC Comic Con.

Highly recommended: Saga, The Fuse, The Wicked + The Divine, Velvet, Rat Queens
Recommended: Morning Glories, Wayward, Sex Criminals, Rocket Girl, They’re Not Like Us

What’s The Fuse like?

Detective story on a space station that wasn’t originally meant to be a living space and ended up being a new “country.”

Another half-off Image sale on Comixology. Through 12/2, use the code “image” at checkout.

Highly recommended collections:

Low, Humanity driven below the sea in the declining days of the earth, lots of character and discovery.
They’re Not Like Us, Yet another variation on the “superpowers in the real world” idea, but very well executed.
Copperhead, Space Western!
Manifest Destiny, What if Lewis & Clark’s actual job was clearing out all those monsters between the Mississippi and the Pacific?
Rat Queens, Fun fantasy featuring fighting females.
Autumnlands, What if the talking animals that rule the earth summon one of those old “humans”?
The Fuse, Detectives on a space station, well-done with lots of interesting detail. First issue is free if you are on the fence.
Wayward, A half-irish, half-japanese girl moves to Japan for the first time and discovers the magic part of her bloodline. Zub did a great job with Skullkickers, and this one has the same kind of snappy, easy momentum.

Dark Horse 99-cent single issues through 11/29.

Recommended:

Rebels, Ground-level story of the American revolution.
Mind MGMT, A deep story of mind control and espionage, but Kindt’s sketchy art style won’t be for everyone.
Mass Effect Foundation, mostly stories about the cast of ME2, mostly for ME fanboys.
The Umbrella Academy, a riff on the birth-cohort-with-powers idea mixed with the school-for-powers idea with lots of imagination and cool art by Gabriel Ba
Buzzkill, What if your superpowers only manifested when you drank alcohol?
Empowered, the big volumes aren’t on sale, but the 7 single issue specials are
Juice Squeezers, a secret band of children who fight hordes of invading super-bugs. As odd as it sounds.

I quite enjoyed Fuse, but I’m not sure I’d buy any more at full price. I guess I just don’t like detective dramas all that much (unless they’re explicitly noir) and it’s a fairly straight one, for something set on a semi-breakaway space station. I presume the conflict with the planet(s) is going to become more of the focus as time goes on, but I’m not too fussed about finding out.

My new recommendation is Monstress, a beautifully drawn fantasy tale. The first issue is bumper size too, so you get your money’s worth, whether or not it’s included in this sale.

Yeah, I liked that first issue a lot.

Which Ed Brubaker noir series would be a good starting point?

I’ve heard good things about Sleeper for Wildstorm (2002 & 2004), but have not read them. As far as the Icon/Image books, I have 4 of the 6 [I]Criminal[/I] trades, but have not yet read them. Lame, I know, but I have a backlog of trades and have to be in the mood for a crime comic. My understanding is that each book is an individual story. [I]Fatale[/I] has won awards, and it’s a long-form story that finished after 24 issues. [I]Velvet[/I] is a noir-ish spy story that’s still ongoing, I’ve read that and like it a lot. But it’s probably not what you are thinking of.

I’d say it’s pretty hard to go wrong no matter what you choose. It’s more a question of what appeals to you more: gangsters, spies, the supernatural, or the seedy underbelly of old Hollywood. Personally I like Fatale the best, but they’re all very good.

I rounded out my comixicology collection based on the Image sale this past weekend purchasing Chew, Wayward, Fuse, & They’re Not like Us. The Brubaker stuff never seems to go on sale unfortunately.

I recently finish the Bone compendium and still have to read through Invincible Compendiums 1 & 2 so I have a bunch of stuff for a while.

I do enjoy this particular thread so thanks for all the suggestions and help everyone! :)