Comic Book Wednesdays 5/20/09 - Issue #5 (New Batman Revealed! Olympus! Four Eyes!)

All general comic talk is welcome as is all weekly stuff. Just spoiler stuff until after it is released (not all of us read solicits).

Nawid A.'s Picks of the Week

Olympus #1- The first of a promising Image mini with Gods and modern life. I’ve been enjoying Jersey Gods so this looks right up my alley.
Four Eyes #3- This series has had two issues released. Since October. Yet it’s that damn good that I’ll stick with it.
Batman: Battle for the Cowl #3- The finale to this Battle for the Cowl event and it’s pretty much a given that Dick Grayson is the new Batman.

For the rest of the week’s comics (and a great way to manage your pulls for the week) go here and report back.

Umm what, Bruce Wayne is dead or something? The new Bats uses guns? And who’s that spider-man looking dude in the gray suit with the red eyes?

Bruce Wayne is dead. At least in the sense that he’s not longer with the current DC Universe. So yeah, this Battle for the Cowl series is a bunch of people trying to (chaotically) take his place as the new Batman. The Batman with the guns is Jason Todd (the 2nd Robin). He’s a bastard. The kooky characters are fun but it’s pretty much given that the first Robin, Nightwing (Dick Grayson) will take Bruce’s place with Damien (Bruce’s despicable son) as the new Robin. After this little event, in a couple weeks a ton of Batman books are launching and relaunching so they’ll be excellent ways for new readers to join. I myself will at least be trying most of them.

How did this happen without a major media blitz? The “Death of Superman” arc made national news, but I haven’t heard a word about Wayne’s death until this thread. Admittedly, I don’t keep up with comics now, but I’m amazed nothing appeared in the media outlets I follow.

Probably because no one expects him to stay dead.

[SPOILERS] (for a comic that came out 4 months ago, just to be safe…)

Plus and also, he’s not actually dead.

The real reason nothing was published about Bruce Wayne’s demise was because it was hyped in the Batman RIP storyline a month prior, and when it didn’t happen there, the press was sort of done with the story.

I didn’t realise a story Jamie and I did a while ago for an athology is actually coming out until someone prodded me yesterday. We contribute a short to…

Which is like Image’s Tori Amos and Belle & Sebastian anthologies, but converting/being-inspired-by Spearmint’s songs into comics. It’s a hefty 200 page book in their vinyl-sized format, which should be nice.

KG

Well Battle For the Cowl was a lot of fun initially but basically fizzled out with issue 3. There was the obvious fight, the obvious pick for who takes on the cowl, and… nothing. I was hoping for at least a reveal of who’s pulling the strings now as Black Mask, or maybe even a twist that it wasn’t really Jason in the guns-blazin’-bat-suit or something. Nope. Oh well.

Awesome link.

The only thing that looks interesting this week is the Boys spinoff though.

The Ifanboy pages are great. I really hope it grows. It’s an interesting alternative-dimension chart on what people are actually buying in a subsection of comic buyers.

(By which I mean, we do better on that chart than our sales would suggest)

KG

You and Criminal. But yeah, I love iFanboy.com. Their video podcast got me into comics.