Comics for 08/16/05

Not sure If I’m stepping on Wholly’s territory here. But since he mention he was relocating, though i’d chip in to the comics update thread.

New This Week,

Marvel

ARANA HEART OF THE SPIDER #7
CABLE DEADPOOL #18
DEFENDERS #2 (OF 5)
LIVEWIRES #6 (OF 6)
MARVEL ADVENTURES FANTASTIC FOUR #3
MARVEL KNIGHTS 4 #21
MARVEL MILESTONES CAPTAIN BRITAIN PSYLOCKE GOLDEN AGE SUB
MUTOPIA X #2 (OF 5)
NEW THUNDERBOLTS #11
NEW X-MEN HELLIONS #4 (OF 4)
SPIDER-MAN HOUSE OF M #3 (OF 5)
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #1
ULTIMATE X-MEN #62
WEAPON X DAYS OF FUTURE NOW #2 (OF 5)

DC

AUTHORITY REVOLUTION #11 (OF 12) (MR)
BATGIRL #67
BATMAN JOURNEY INTO KNIGHT #1(OF 12)
BIRDS OF PREY #85
BOOKS OF MAGICK LIFE DURING WARTIME #13 (MR)
DETECTIVE COMICS #810
GREEN LANTERN #3
JUSTICE #1 (OF 12)
LEX LUTHOR MAN OF STEEL #5 (OF 5)
LUCIFER #65 (MR)
MANHUNTER #13
SEVEN SOLDIERS KLARION THE WITCH BOY #3 (OF 4)
TOP TEN BEYOND THE FARTHEST PRECINCT #1 (OF 5)

GIRLS #4 (MR)
SPAWN #148
WALKING DEAD VOL 1 DAYS GONE BYE TP
WITCHBLADE #88

DrkHse

MAN WITH THE SCREAMING BRAIN #4 (OF 4)
STAR WARS GENERAL GRIEVOUS #4(OF 4) (C: 3)

Indep

ATOMIKA #4
DEVILS REJECTS #1
DRAGONLANCE CHRONICLES #1 (OF8)
GI JOE SNAKE-EYES DECLASSIFIED #1
LADY DEATH WICKED #1/2
METAL GEAR SOLID #12
TOMARTS ACTION FIGURE DIGEST #137 (C: 4)

given that this is the shipment list that my comic shop sents me, it could mean its missing a few independents. Otherwise, other than Ultimate Spiderman annual, I don’t see anything interesing out.

Slow week for me. Just:

Klarion #3
Girls #4

Oh, how I hope the new Top Ten will be good.

Klarion #3 and Justice #1 for me. Unfortunately, Justice #1 is already extremely reminiscent of Kingdom Come. Let’s see what issue #2 reveals.

I did read Defenders #1 and will read #2 with interest. In the 90s series (12 issues leading into 12 issues of The Order), they used the “jagged alliance” factor and the constant bickering between the Hulk and Namor for comic relief — it was great, actually; when the Hulk would get pouty and refuse to fight they’d tell him, “Okay, Hulk, but the man in the armor said that he’s stronger than you and that you’re afraid of him!” “MAN IN ARMOR SAID WHAT?!?!?! RAAAAAAAARGHHHHH!

In this new series, they’ve really expanded that, to the point where the Hulk is in the background going “THRRRRRRPT!” at the peevish Namor, Namor breaks Bruce Banner’s glasses for calling him “the Little Mermaid,” and even the Dread Dormammu is a whiny mama’s boy throwing tantrums at his sister Umar because their mother always liked her best. The Silver Surfer is where they may take the comedy a little far; he’s portrayed as a sort of New Age cosmic space cadet. Dr. Strange tries to recruit the Surfer for the mission, but he’s just discovered that there are Earth surfers (who call him “shiny dude”) and feels his place is with them.

It’s written by Kieth Giffen and J.M. Demaitteis. The guys who brought you the lunancy of “Formerly Known as Justice league” and “I can’t believe it’s not the Justice league” The humour is toned down for marvel but it’s still pretty good in parts.

I’m waiting for all issues to come out fore i pay money for it.

Sample dialgue

Bruce (to Namor): So, did you ever find nemo? or are you still looking?
Namor (pause - staredown): If i find out what that means, I’ll kill where you stand.

I’m grabbing Livewires, Birds of Prey, and the Ultimate Spidey Annual.

I have a dollar that says his new girlfriend’s Kitty Pryde.

DeMatteis wrote the Defenders for a long while back in the 70s/early 80s! I hope he’ll keep the Marvel-cosmic weirdness flowing along with the jokes.

Justice #1 actually came out 2 weeks ago, and it’s fantastic.

For me this week:

DETECTIVE COMICS #81
GREEN LANTERN #3

Not sure I like how Birds of Prey ended.

Has anyone been checking out “The Wintermen” from Wildstorm besides me? I’m reading it, numb and uncomfortable from having my wisdom removed, but the writing and post-Soviet environment certainly have drawn me in. At Comixfan, they claim its boring and unable to elicit an emotional response, but I’ve already taken a liking to this Kalenov fellow and his cynical outlook. The plot still hasn’t really built up yet, but I’m no where near as confused and disinterested as I currently am with “Albion”.

Other than that, Gotham Central was alright, but I read it when I was still rather drugged so another reading may be required. Firestorm was kind of so-so, I enjoy the obvious connection between it and Villains United this week. VU is still excellent, by the way. Better than OMAC, which I missed the second comic of.

I enjoyed the first issue too. I thought they did an excellent job of presenting a diverse cast of characters as well as establishing the environment of post-Cold War Russia all in one issue. My only quibble is that I’m afraid the series might be less interesting when it moves to New York next issue.

Yeah, I liked Wintermen too. Very interesting, and I like the art.

This week it’s pretty much just Lucifer I’m getting.